Software has messed up ctrl+alt+del menu and disabled many windows features

BaconLord222

Hi guys, as the name suggests. I'm in a bit of trouble.

I recently had to install a "Safe exam browser" for school, and it disabled a ton of stuff in my windows install. For example:

(this is all from the log file which is attached)

• Chrome notifications have been disabled
  • I'm unable to lock my laptop or switch users
  • I'm unable to change my password
  • I can't open task manager
  • I no longer have sleep, log off, or hibernate buttons
  • and the ease of access button no longer works (not a big deal)

All that I can understand from the log file is all of this stuff above, and that it has used the registry to accomplish this, however I haven't been able to find the right keys to change.

(also yes, the software has already been uninstalled, I'm not trying to evade all of its "safe" features)

HELP

sebwindowsservice.log

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU Cooler - Stock Wraith Spire thing lol

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8GB

RAM - Team T-Force Dark 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz DDR4

Storage - Corsair Force Series Mp510 240gb

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

I would literally just reinstall Windows. Windows 10 makes it easy. Ctrl+Alt+Del is reserved for WIndows via winlogon and any program modifying that is doing some heavy ass changes to Windows.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I don't know what that software is. But if it was made by your school, it likely is to spy on you/keep track of what you do. That or you may have installed a fake version of the software. I'd backup your data first. Then you could try the repair option with Windows. Or just do a trusty full reinstall (which may be the better option here).

14 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't know what that software is. But if it was made by your school, it likely is to spy on you/keep track of what you do. That or you may have installed a fake version of the software. I'd backup your data first. Then you could try the repair option with Windows. Or just do a trusty full reinstall (which may be the better option here).

The software is made so that it locks me out of other software so that I can focus on taking an online exam. The issue is that it also screws up the windows install in the process. Is there no other way to repair the windows install?

You can google it if you want. Its called the SACE safe exam browser.

Probably should have said as well. I'm running windows 7

My biggest issue with reinstalling is that I'll have to buy a new OS key for windows 10 instead of 7, and I'll have to pay for all of my microsoft office products again.

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

How about in safemode?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, BaconLord222 said:

The software is made so that it locks me out of other software so that I can focus on taking an online exam.

You can google it if you want. Its called the SACE safe exam browser.

Contact your school and demand they remove this piece of malware, or replace your computer, then for all future tests, either don't install this malware, or they are to supply you with a free test computer.

https://www.sace.sa.edu.au/about/sace-improvement/electronic-assessment/exams/it-managers

1 hour ago, BaconLord222 said:

Probably should have said as well. I'm running windows 7

My biggest issue with reinstalling is that I'll have to buy a new OS key for windows 10 instead of 7, and I'll have to pay for all of my microsoft office products again.

That's OK because Windows 7 support ends in about 4 months time, and your Office 365 should be tied to your Microsoft account, allowing you to reinstall it from Office.com anytime you need to.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Bit of an update for those still following this thread. I managed to get the ctrl+alt+del menu back to normal through the group policy editor. the only real thing that is an issue now is that google chrome is blocked from showing notifications. Should I just reinstall chrome to see if that'll change?

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X