advice

Dustin Ray

my psu have been a acting a little weird lately and i do want to upgrade to a fully modular so the cables reach better. i currently have a cx750 by corsair. but i dont have a bunch of money. any suggestions or links to something fairly cheap in price?

currently in the usa. my psu is fine for now. i lowered the power limit from the full 750w to 600w and so far no problems but still slowly getting works. specs at the moment is an asrock h310 board, i5 8400 vr, 16gb rgb g.skill tridentz ram, and a gtx 750 ti sc (works surprisingly well with all my gaming but i am looking at getting a rx580 in the near future) 

Lowered your power limit from the full 750W to 600W????

What do you mean by this? Your system is like a 250W system. I think your computer just isn't stable.

10 minutes ago, Dustin Ray said:

my psu have been a acting a little weird lately and i do want to upgrade to a fully modular so the cables reach better.

elaborate on "wierd"

weird like it will be doing fine then all the sudden it just drops in power and my pc dont like that at all. it doesnt completely stop it just goes from like 750 to 200 for a while until i restart my pc

it doesnt completely stop it just goes from like 750 to 200 for a while

What the fuck does that mean ?

23 minutes ago, Dustin Ray said:

weird like it will be doing fine then all the sudden it just drops in power and my pc dont like that at all. it doesnt completely stop it just goes from like 750 to 200 for a while until i restart my pc

How are you measuring the power usage?

A 750W PSU will not consume 750W. It means that it is capable of outputting 750W to the system. A system will only pull as much power as it needs. Keep in mind that 750W is DC output to the system. There's also efficiency loss, so the unit can actually draw more from the wall if needed. At 85% efficiency for 750W output it will be pulling almost 900W from the wall.

For your system with a i5 8400 + GTX750Ti you are probably looking at 150-200W under load while gaming and such.

If you're measuring the power usage at the wall with a power meter then if it's reading around 200W power draw from the wall that could be about what you should expect from your system under load with efficiency losses taken in to account. You should never be reading 750W power consumption with your system hardware.

Seems to be a lot of confusion about what is actually happening here. Might help to backtrack a bit, ignore the PSU for now, and just explain what issues you are experiencing with your system?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

yes i know that but the minimum for my pc needs is 312w the consumption shouldn't drop below whats needed

Just now, Dustin Ray said:

yes i know that but the minimum for my pc needs is 312w the consumption shouldn't drop below whats needed

Where are you getting 312W value from?

Please see:

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

For your system with a i5 8400 + GTX750Ti you are probably looking at 150-200W under load while gaming and such.

That's MAX consumption while under a heavy load. If you're just sitting on desktop idle or browsing the web your power usage will be significantly lower, like only 70W or something. My i7 6700K + GTX1080Ti with a bunch of HDDs and other shit idles at 90-110W [measured at the wall].

40 minutes ago, Dustin Ray said:

i lowered the power limit from the full 750w to 600w and so far no problems

How did you lower the power limit from 750W to 600W? :S

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If you think like that then it should consume 312W when it's turned off aswell?

2 minutes ago, Dustin Ray said:

ok so if nobody is going to help why waist your time

You haven't described what your problem is, and replacing the power supply could possibly be a waste of money that won't fix your problem...

ok so if nobody is going to help why waist your time

From what you describe you have no problem. You have said the equivalent of a customer walking up to a car mechanic and saying "My car needs 300Hp to run, but when I am in 3rd gear at 1200rpm I only get 75Hp, pushing the throttle gets me more power but I need it to be 300Hp at 1200rpm" 

In other words you are completely misunderstanding how power consumption works. Your PSU is rated for a max output, your PC will pull what it needs up to that maximum. When your PC is not doing anything it uses less power, and there for you see a drop in wattage, when it is under stress it uses more power. That's as simple as it really gets and describes what you are seeing. 

omg why is is it so hard for people to get the psu is randomly dropping power below what my pc needs and i constantly have to restart it. the psu should never drop below what the pc needs to run

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

You haven't described what your problem is, and replacing the power supply could possibly be a waste of money that won't fix your problem...

If someone is being this wrong, and obtuse, the likelihood of them being a troll is quite high.

21 hours ago, Dustin Ray said:

omg why is is it so hard for people to get the psu is randomly dropping power below what my pc needs and i constantly have to restart it. the psu should never drop below what the pc needs to run

The way you are describing the problem is a bit.....how shall I say it.....confusing.  Could you walk us through your issue a bit more slowly and with more detail, so that we might better understand the issue.

Now Spotty asked a question that piqued my interest as well.  You said the systems power fell below 300 watts.  How exactly did you make that determination?   Do you have your system attached to some sort of power meter?

to put it simply my psu's power is dropping below the 312w that my pc needs to run and it shouldnt be doing that. idk if its a bad capacitor or coil but i need to replace it before it causes any damage 

On 9/12/2019 at 3:58 AM, Dustin Ray said:

You need to quote people see they see your response. Nobody you responded to is getting a notification. See the grey boxes with text in them that say "Dustin Ray said:"

As for the question that was asked a couple times, how is it that you measure your power draw?

7 minutes ago, Dustin Ray said:

to put it simply my psu's power is dropping below the 312w that my pc needs to run and it shouldnt be doing that. idk if its a bad capacitor or coil but i need to replace it before it causes any damage 

It does not need 312 watts to run. The graphics card struggles to draw the full 75 watts afforded to it by the PCIe bus and the 8400 isn't exactly power hungry, unless you're running a few dozen hard drives I fail to see where you're coming up with that many watts.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You need to quote people see they see your response. Nobody you responded to is getting a notification. See the grey boxes with text in them that say "Dustin Ray said:"

As for the question that was asked a couple times, how is it that you measure your power draw?

It does not need 312 watts to run. The graphics card struggles to draw the full 75 watts afforded to it by the PCIe bus and the 8400 isn't exactly power hungry, unless you're running a few dozen hard drives I fail to see where you're coming up with that many watts.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

now thanks for nothing guys. you cant just help someone out with a simple link link they ask for.

3 minutes ago, Dustin Ray said:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

now thanks for nothing guys. you cant just help someone out with a simple link link they ask for.

Outervision is known for overestimating by a lot.

You need to explain more. How did you 

On 9/12/2019 at 2:28 AM, Dustin Ray said:

lowered the power limit from the full 750w to 600w

That makes no sense. And what was happening to your system, why do you think your power supply is causing problems? You never described what was even happening but you're getting mad at us for not understanding. From our perspective you never asked your full question.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 9/12/2019 at 2:34 AM, Dustin Ray said:

This is an important one. How did you measure that your power supply drops in its output? What makes you think it's delivering 750 then suddenly delivering 200?

Primary PC: