Making my own tunnel connection.

cesedy

Hi.

I would like to make my own tunnel/VPN connection.

At the moment I am in a different country and I have computer in my home country.

I would like to connect to my home computer and use its connection for LEGAL torrent downloads. Of course, the connection should be encrypted.

Do I understand correctly - I need to make SSH server on home computer and connect to it with SSH client? 

As server I would use MobaSSH (which uses OpenSSH).

But what would I need to connect to this SSH? There is a MobaSSHTunnel (https://blog.mobatek.net/post/ssh-tunnels-and-port-forwarding/), but I am confused witch connection should I use - remote port forwarding or dynamic (SOCKS proxy)?

And if the connection is successful, that should be it? I have secure, encrypted connection and I can download LEAGL stuff, and it would show as I am downloading from home computer?

Thanks.

TL;TR - I want a VPN like connection to my home computer for LEAGL downloading. How to do it?

Use OpenVPN, there's a Windows installer available here , other installers are available here. If you want a SOCKS5 proxy, you can use Squid for Windows, available here. If you want to open a port, enable port 22 to allow for SSH connections under your router's configuration.

Note that using a VPN or proxy will route all of your traffic through the source unless configured otherwise, opening a port allows direct connection to your OpenSSH server without routing traffic. Opening a port is the least secure option, but is the easiest to set up. OpenVPN is the next best option, security is dependent on how you configure it.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)