Does cleaning motherboard help in overclocking?

Hey guyz

Sorry for my bad english..

I have a x58 base system.. having an x5670 overclocked at 4.2ghz at 1.38v  and 8 gb ddr3 ram with thermal take smart 650 watt psu.. i really want that higher .. like 4.5 ghz.. but i cant.. i have a masterair ma410p cooler which is a mid range cooler.. and can't up the voltage more than 1.4v which is still a little bit toasty.. the only thing i m thinking of is to take apart the whole system and clean the heatsink.. i m not talking cpu cooler because i already changed the thermal paste and all that good stuff.. i m talking about the heatsink attached directly to the mobo.. near cpu socket.. i saw tech yes city cleaning that and changing the thermal paste of that thing.. btw i have a asus p6t.. any help would be appreciated.. i just wanna know that is that any chance i could gain more performance by cleaning that heat sink? Because i have to take the whole pc apart for that..

cooling down the VRM might help a little but unless its overheating it shouldnt be making anything worse

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

cooling down the VRM might help a little but unless its overheating it shouldnt be making anything worse

As i know.. i think.. it never opened.. and asus p6t is a very old motherboard.. maybe it need a new thermal paste? What do u recommend?

If you've got bucketfuls of dust and your VRMs and northbridge are overheating, then yeah it'll help. Otherwise you're fine. 

Should be able to push to 4.5 with that voltage, might need 1.42v at the most. What settings are you running? Also keep in mind a 4.2Ghz OC with properly tuned uncore and RAM can beat a simple 4.5Ghz OC. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

If you've got bucketfuls of dust and your VRMs and northbridge are overheating, then yeah it'll help. Otherwise you're fine. 

Should be able to push to 4.5 with that voltage, might need 1.42v at the most. What settings are you running? Also keep in mind a 4.2Ghz OC with properly tuned uncore and RAM can beat a simple 4.5Ghz OC. 

To be honest from the outside the mobo looks pretty clean to me.. and as i experienced it's a voltage thinig with my processor.. and i pushed to 4.5 ghz at 1.425 v but it didn't even boot .. and i tuned the ram and uncore pretty good too.. my uncore is at 3.4ghz and ram is at 2000mhz with a little bit change in timings.

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

And also increasing voltages to more than 1.4 simply throttles my cpu .. because my temps goes way over 95c.

10 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

And my cinebench score is 982

Just now, Muhammad Osama said:

And also increasing voltages to more than 1.4 simply throttles my cpu .. because my temps goes way over 95c.

Yeah you're hitting a thermal limit then, a better CPU cooler is what you want. 

1 minute ago, Muhammad Osama said:

and i tuned the ram and uncore pretty good too.. my uncore is at 3.4ghz and ram is at 2000mhz with a little bit change in timings.

Noice! My X5670 was at similar settings, I ran 1.45v and was working on getting 4.74Ghz stable at that voltage, but that was on a custom loop with a 360mm rad. Now it's in my folding rig so it just runs at stock settings. ?

You may have just got an eh bin, but it's probably your cooler if you're getting temps that high. Lower temps usually help with more stable OCs, though up to the 80s is fine on these CPUs. Hot, but not actually effecting the CPU negatively hot. 90s is where I'd feel eh, high 90s is a no go. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Noice! My X5670 was at similar settings, I ran 1.45v and was working on getting 4.74Ghz stable at that voltage, but that was on a custom loop with a 360mm rad. Now it's in my folding rig so it just runs at stock settings. ?

You may have just got an eh bin, but it's probably your cooler if you're getting temps that high. Lower temps usually help with more stable OCs, though up to the 80s is fine on these CPUs. Hot, but not actually effecting the CPU negatively hot. 90s is where I'd feel eh, high 90s is a no go. 

You look like an experienced overclocker for an x58 platform.. can you give me some tips because there is a problem an i need a solution of that.. tech yes city also mentioned that problem but didn't give the solution.. my bios allows the multiplier to go as higher as 24x but when i set this to 24 i actually get 4.4 ghz to boot at 1.4v but the thing is when my cpu is at 1-3% load it stays on that but as soon as i hit it with the load it decreases to 22x .. is there any trick to make that multiplier stay on 24x? I tried disabling speedstep and c state.. that didn't help

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

And also some people said that lowering the multiplier and increasing the bclk might give a little bit higher clock speed.. but usually it is better to up the multiplier as far as we can..do you suggest that i should drop the multiplier and start tuning around with the bclk?

1 hour ago, Muhammad Osama said:

And also some people said that lowering the multiplier and increasing the bclk might give a little bit higher clock speed.. but usually it is better to up the multiplier as far as we can..do you suggest that i should drop the multiplier and start tuning around with the bclk?

It's better to use the multiplier on everything newer than X58. X58 does much better with BLCK overclocking, then balancing that out with the CPU multiplier, RAM multi, and uncore ulti. On newer stuff it changes the PCIe and messes up the rig, X58 doesn't do that. It's kind of a balancing act, but more BLCK lets you fine tune better than more CPU multi and often hit higher OCs. Look up Tech Yes City's video on X58 OCing, he has an excellent guide for a 4.2Ghz OC, you can use his methods to push higher though.

Main PC 

5 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

It's better to use the multiplier on everything newer than X58. X58 does much better with BLCK overclocking, then balancing that out with the CPU multiplier, RAM multi, and uncore ulti. On newer stuff it changes the PCIe and messes up the rig, X58 doesn't do that. It's kind of a balancing act, but more BLCK lets you fine tune better than more CPU multi and often hit higher OCs. Look up Tech Yes City's video on X58 OCing, he has an excellent guide for a 4.2Ghz OC, you can use his methods to push higher though.

I watched his video before oc.. the method he also recommend is to up the multiplier as far as we can.. though i tried lowering multi and increasing bclk but that didn't help either.. i can't even hit 4.2ghz.. i have one more question can you tell me at 4.2 ghz .. will my x5670 compete with i7 6th gen? Because tech yes city showed a comparison with an 7th gen i7 and at 4.5 ghz an x5675 compete pretty good with that.. so because of having lower clock speed can my processor compete with 6th gen i7?

8 hours ago, Muhammad Osama said:

will my x5670 compete with i7 6th gen? Because tech yes city showed a comparison with an 7th gen i7 and at 4.5 ghz an x5675 compete pretty good with that.. so because of having lower clock speed can my processor compete with 6th gen i7?

At 4.5Ghz they can almost match a stock R5 1600, which has the same core/thread count, and about the IPC of a Haswell (5th gen IIRC) chip. It may compete in multicore at a max OC with some 6th gen i5s and i7s, but it won't beat an OCed 6700K or even a stock one AFAIK. At 4.2Ghz I doubt it will either, there still are limitations since they're chips from 2009-2011. 

Main PC 

Gotta give it that TECH YES CITY LOVIN'

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

At 4.5Ghz they can almost match a stock R5 1600, which has the same core/thread count, and about the IPC of a Haswell (5th gen IIRC) chip. It may compete in multicore at a max OC with some 6th gen i5s and i7s, but it won't beat an OCed 6700K or even a stock one AFAIK. At 4.2Ghz I doubt it will either, there still are limitations since they're chips from 2009-2011. 

Thanks.. but i wanna know will it give me a 1080p performance for about an year?if i hook this up with a decent gpu like gtx 1070?

6 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

Thanks.. but i wanna know will it give me a 1080p performance for about an year?if i hook this up with a decent gpu like gtx 1070?

For 1080p60 it should handle most games fine. I ran mine with a 1080 Ti at 1080p, lmao. Defo a CPU bottleneck but I still played games fine. Stuff like Assassins Creed Odyssey ran at 25-45fps (the 25s were in Athens, which is a freaking massive city), but frametimes were smooth so it was still an enjoyable experience. That game is about the worst case scenario for any CPU though, most are easier on the chip. 

Main PC