Clearance for nh-u14s with heatsink cover in meshify c

MrMemelord

I'm looking at building a new PC soon, and I've got most of the parts picked out, but there's one small compatibility issue that's been bugging me. The CPU cooler I'd like to use is the nh-u14s, with a height of 165mm. To theme my build, I want to put on the na-hc5 chromax heatsink cover: https://www.amazon.com/NA-HC5-chromax-Black-swap-Heatsink-NH-U14S-TR4-SP3/dp/B07SVM4XJD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=noctua+nh-u14s+heatsink+cover&qid=1567960081&s=electronics&sr=1-3. However, this adds 7mm to the height according to noctua, making the cooler 172mm tall. The case I want to put this in is the Fractal Design Meshify C TG, which says it only allows for coolers up to 170mm tall. Despite the 2mm difference, would the cooler with the cover still fit? Anybody else using this same case-cooler combo?

I have a D15 with the chromax covers in a Define C and it's fine. Im fairly confident they're the same dimensions apart from the front panel.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

9 hours ago, Slottr said:

I have a D15 with the chromax covers in a Define C and it's fine. Im fairly confident they're the same dimensions apart from the front panel.

Yep, it's the same tooling. Additionally, Fractal's site says the cooler height restriction is up to 172mm, exactly the height of the NH-D15 with Chromax covers.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

4 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Yep, it's the same tooling. Additionally, Fractal's site says the cooler height restriction is up to 172mm, exactly the height of the NH-D15 with Chromax covers.

The NH-U14S goes from 165mm to 172mm with the Chromax covers. The NH-D15 is shorter and goes from 160mm to 165mm with the cover. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

As said above... U14S heatsink itself is 165mm while D15 is only 160mm. I have picture of U14S in case with 167mm clearance...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, MrMemelord said:

Are your pictures with or without the heatsink cover, @LogicalDrm?

Without. The covers weren't a thing back in 2013 when that pic was taken. I changed case in 2016 to Define 4 too so no more that issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok, so I know the nh-d15 barely fits in the meshify c with the heatsink cover. But the nh-u14s is 5mm taller than the nh-d15. So does that mean the uh-14s would or wouldn't fit in the meshify c (with heatsink cover)?

2 hours ago, MrMemelord said:

Ok, so I know the nh-d15 barely fits in the meshify c with the heatsink cover. But the nh-u14s is 5mm taller than the nh-d15. So does that mean the uh-14s would or wouldn't fit in the meshify c (with heatsink cover)?

I don't think it'd fit. You could try it and report your results but I personally wouldn't try fitting a 172mm tall cooler in a case that has 170mm of clearance without evidence of it fitting. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.