$550 Build Please help me finish it.

Greetings community.

I was wondering what would be the best lasting build. I am building one for my grandma and would like recommendations. here is the list. 

I would like to keep the case I have chosen. I would normally never have a case that is over $50 for a build like this. However I since my grandma is going to be using this for a while I would like her to have this one. 

That brings me to my next point, it is for my grandma. She needs something that will last her at least 6. The other thing with the case is eventually I might build her a new PC in the same case. I am going to replace the PSU as I have heard it is a "fire cracker".

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

parts list is private.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

l

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

oops, one moment I will fix that

9 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

9 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

parts list is private.

PCPartPicker Part List

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($79.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Amazon) a good PSU would have made more sense for a rig to last long than an expensive case.
Total: $383.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-07 23:13 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I agree and would use the case you suggested except she needs an optical drive. Is that motherboard reliable? I started a thread earlier and got mixed answers.

3 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Amazon) a good PSU would have made more sense for a rig to last long than an expensive case.
Total: $383.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-07 23:13 EDT-0400

Just now, birdflyer said:

I agree and would use the case you suggested except she needs an optical drive. Is that motherboard reliable? I started a thread earlier and got mixed answers.

you can get an external disc drive for her to use. It's a pretty good board for the price.

12 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Is that motherboard reliable?

Since I strongly doubt you plan to upgrade to a Ryzen 9 3950x the VRMs (and overall quality) that come on that ASRock B450M board are just fine.  Your MSI Bazooka pick makes for more of an enthusiast option as it's a fancier mATX B450.  The reliability I doubt changes in any big way between the MSI and the one Herman picked; and with this budget, makes sense to save the $.

I can't help but think your build is excessively overkill. Does your grandma play games at all?
If she doesn't, just get 8GB of RAM. Don't bother with NVME storage, and honestly, I'd consider something like a 256GB SSD, it should still be plenty.

No need for an expensive PSU, you're just running a low power APU, I'd just get a case with one built in.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

No she doesn't play anything more graphically intense than Be Jeweled. She does however store lots of files and my grandpa (he is used to be a photographer in the film days) stores lots of photos. The computer that they are upgrading from has a 1tb drive in it and they are currently using almost 256gb. Now before you suggest that I put that old hard drive in there as a secondary drive, I would say no. Why? 

1: My grandpa isn't the most careful about downloading things and the current drive is full of malware and a couple viruses (one of which I believe is a more calm version of meltdown).

2: Neither of them are computer illiterate to understand how to use a second drive.

Why did I go with and NVME storage? I was going to get a SATA drive but discovered that an NVME drive was the same price.

The reason for a better PSU is I would like it to last her at least 6 years. Unfortunately, yes it does make a difference in life span to have a good PSU, I have a really hard time spending money on them.

Thanks. please make more suggestions and feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong.

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

I can't help but think your build is excessively overkill. Does your grandma play games at all?
If she doesn't, just get 8GB of RAM. Don't bother with NVME storage, and honestly, I'd consider something like a 256GB SSD, it should still be plenty.

No need for an expensive PSU, you're just running a low power APU, I'd just get a case with one built in.

Thanks guys really appreciate it.

9 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

you can get an external disc drive for her to use. It's a pretty good board for the price.

I would use an external drive; however, she is adamant that she wants it to be internal, so I pulled the old one out of her old system. At least it saves $20.

27 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

I would use an external drive; however, she is adamant that she wants it to be internal, so I pulled the old one out of her old system. At least it saves $20.

you can drop down to a couger MG110 or versa H15 then.

I've always been a fan of small form factor for light workload builds. You don't pay a huge premium (usually about $40 in price difference for the motherboard only) and you get a computer that's easier to move around and takes up less space. Maybe your grandma would like that :)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-Force Vulcan 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $399.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-08 02:05 EDT-0400

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

14 minutes ago, Energycore said:

and you get a computer that's easier to move around and takes up less space. Maybe your grandma would like that

Yeah! Making it so much easier to carry when she goes to all-night LAN parties at her friend Rose's to pwn noobs in Apex Legends.  ?

Seriously though, a smaller footprint certainly seems like a nice touch for this non-gaming rig.

I'll recommend something like this instead....

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($33.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($57.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $400.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-08 05:05 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 hour ago, hello_there_123 said:

Sabrent Rocket at $60, Tcsunbow X3 at $49. And yet you still chose this...

NVME SSDs for consumers are not really an upgrade, so I chose one that I'm familiar with, that's good performance for the money.

If you have a review for the Sabrent or the Tcsunbow, I'll gladly take a look at them

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

NVME SSDs for consumers are not really an upgrade, so I chose one that I'm familiar with, that's good performance for the money.

If you have a review for the Sabrent or the Tcsunbow, I'll gladly take a look at them

Sabrent Rocket is a Phison E12 drive, same as Corsair MP510, Inland Premium etc. So you can search up reviews for the MP510 instead. 

And Tcsunbow X3 is an SM2258 drive, same controller as the MX500. Just lower binned nand, worse firmware and i believe smaller SLC cache which won't matter for boot drives. 

5 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Sabrent Rocket is a Phison E12 drive, same as Corsair MP510, Inland Premium etc. So you can search up reviews for the MP510 instead. 

And Tcsunbow X3 is an SM2258 drive, same controller as the MX500. Just lower binned nand, worse firmware and i believe smaller SLC cache which won't matter for boot drives. 

If the Sabrent is as good as the MP510 then it's got my blessing. I'd take a look at the brand's customer service before pulling the trigger myself but it looks like good value for money.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If the Sabrent is as good as the MP510 then it's got my blessing. I'd take a look at the brand's customer service before pulling the trigger myself but it looks like good value for money.

There the same drive. And the customer service is great because the drive is sold on Amazon, Sabrent are more known for HDD enclosures and that type of stuff. 

23 hours ago, Energycore said:

Ya the only reason I chose a NVME drive was because it was the same price as an mx500 crucial SATA drive. As far as form factor for a case she wants a tower ITX or mini ITX she doesn't care. she previously used a mid tower Dell so the height doesn't mater but width does.

29 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Ya the only reason I chose a NVME drive was because it was the same price as an mx500 crucial SATA drive. As far as form factor for a case she wants a tower ITX or mini ITX she doesn't care. she previously used a mid tower Dell so the height doesn't mater but width does.

You could always look at something like the Node 202.

Very thin, sleek look and good airflow

• 2400G for the extra threads, and slightly better iGPU
  • Wifi board
  • Node 202 case with included 450W Fractal Design Integra SFX PSU (it's not a tier list topper, but it's a decent enough unit.)

Linus especially loved the Node 202:

12 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

You could always look at something like the Node 202

Ya that's a little spendy; I would rather go with the one I have unless there is a better case for cheaper.

1 minute ago, birdflyer said:

Ya that's a little spendy; I would rather go with the one I have unless there is a better case for cheaper.

See the build above. I've achieved a better APU and a larger/better SSD.

3 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

See the build above. I've achieved a better APU and a larger/better SSD.

OK, I have not had any experience with sabrent ssds. Are they reliable?

3 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

OK, I have not had any experience with sabrent ssds. Are they reliable?

See the above conversation. Honestly a NVMe isn't going to do granny any good unless she's moving and making huge video files on a regular basis.

This case has a cage for 2x 2.5 SSDs if you so desire. So a 2.5" MX500 is just fine, and likely a savings.

But pricing wise the Sabrent Rocket is pretty well priced!