Upgrading from 4770K to 3700X, Need help with memory and an overall sanity check

ToastyHere

TL;DR Memory recommendation for a Ryzen 3700X on a B450 board, suggestions for part changes or additions welcome.

I've been looking to upgrade my rig for about a year now and I figure with 3rd gen Ryzen now would be a good time to pull the trigger. However, I'm gonna be trying to save money where I can, so I'm trying to re-use as many parts as possible. I'm currently in Ireland, which effectively makes my market for purchasing the UK, and usually through Amazon. Use case is gaming (1080p60 with 2 monitors) and regular streaming. I would like to upgrade one to a 1440p144 in the future.

The main feedback I'm looking for is on what RAM would be the right choice, any potential pitfalls I'm not accounting for, and if there are any changes that could provide better value, a major performance boost, or some Quality of Life upgrade I haven't though of. Currently the upgrade sits at around €600, but I'd be willing to go a little higher to €700 if I could get some major improvements from it.

My current build is as follows:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.86 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe/DUAL ATX LGA1150 Motherboard 
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card 
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-04 20:09 EDT-0400

And here's the upgraded build (changes marked with *):

PCPartPicker Part List

*CPU*: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.36 CFM CPU Cooler 
*Motherboard*: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
*Memory*: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-04 20:30 EDT-0400

The power supply and case should be re-usable, and with the Noctua NM-AM4 Mounting Kit I should be able to re-use the cooler. I don't feel like I would get any truly great returns upgrading the GPU as the improvements to performance from a RTX 2000 series or Radeon 5700 don't really justify the €300+ extra for a new GPU. 

Memory is one of the main points I am uncertain of. Going over 3200 CL16 seems to balloon in price very quickly, and based on this video, I believe it should be possible to tune the memory to get performance in the region of a 3600 CL16 kit, which in my region would cost twice the price.

Thanks for any help/recommendations you can give, and for reading this far!

2 minutes ago, ToastyHere said:

I think you copied the wrong link

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I think you copied the wrong link

My first post, off to a stellar start B)

Cheers for letting me know!

I saw a recent recommendation from Buildzoid on Crucial memory kits with an AES part number. They're cheap and use Micron E-die, which is incredibly good for overclocking.

This is the specific kit that I saw recommended https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3BCD4D/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3000-memory-bls2k8g4d30aesbk

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

34 minutes ago, ToastyHere said:

You only want 3000mhz or 3200mhz RAM with low timings.

Anything else really isn't worth it performance wise.

If you aren't in a rush why not just save up a bit more and get a proper X570 board for your 8 core CPU? The really solid ones are around $200 or so.

Even the Gaming X from gigaybyte should be fine and it's closer to $150
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LJxbt6/gigabyte-x570-gaming-x-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-gaming-x

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, Suika said:

I saw a recent recommendation from Buildzoid on Crucial memory kits with an AES part number. They're cheap and use Micron E-die, which is incredibly good for overclocking.

This is the specific kit that I saw recommended https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3BCD4D/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3000-memory-bls2k8g4d30aesbk

That's actually the second time I've had that memory recommended, though the first time it's been explained as to why. Thank you very much.

Loooking into thier kits, if I wanted to RGB it up would it be fair to assume Crucials other kits (EG https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/blt2k8g4d32aet4k ) would have the same advantages? Or would i be rolling the dice on that. RGB is kinda something I kinda maybe want but not if it breaks ups the cost significantly.

1 minute ago, ToastyHere said:

That's actually the second time I've had that memory recommended, though the first time it's been explained as to why. Thank you very much.

Loooking into thier kits, if I wanted to RGB it up would it be fair to assume Crucials other kits (EG https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/blt2k8g4d32aet4k ) would have the same advantages? Or would i be rolling the dice on that. RGB is kinda something I kinda maybe want but not if it breaks ups the cost significantly.

I'm not aware of any RGB kits using Micron's E-die memory, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Suika said:

I'm not aware of any RGB kits using Micron's E-die memory, unfortunately.

What about the same kit with AES but at 3200 stock and cheaper? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gLGxFT

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

What about the same kit with AES but at 3200 stock and cheaper? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gLGxFT

I didn't even know that existed as an option, I only pulled the 3000MHz kit because that's what I saw Buildzoid originally recommend.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

I didn't even know that existed as an option, I only pulled the 3000MHz kit because that's what I saw Buildzoid originally recommend.

Cool I quoted the wrong comment :D but still the question got though. Yeah, I imagine it's likely the same kits just slightly higher frequency preset from binning. Maybe the 3000 kits sold enough to increase price, though pricing is a wonky world sometimes anyway.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

19 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you aren't in a rush why not just save up a bit more and get a proper X570 board for your 8 core CPU? The really solid ones are around $200 or so.

So, from what I've heard from watching some of Buildzoids and a few others videos, as far as I can tell the only real reason to get X570 at the moment is to use PCIe 4.0, which I am pretty unlikely to take advantage of.

The sub €200 X570 boards are being said to not be really not worth it, so I'd be spending €70-€100 more (Pro Carbon AC is €140 and the X570 boarrds Buildzoid recommends are €210 to €240)  to get a good X570 board for a feature I wouldn't really use, unless there's more to the difference between B450 and X570 boards that I realise.

2 minutes ago, ToastyHere said:

It's also likely to get priority for updates.

The gigabyte gaming X X570 board is only 170 EUR, at a price difference of like $20 vs the board you're buying that's easily worth it IMO.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/LJxbt6/gigabyte-x570-gaming-x-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-gaming-x

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

b450 pro carbon and tomahawk boards will do great VRM wise with that CPU. Only really a concern if you consider a CPU upgrade to like a 3900 or 3950x and want to heavy OC on air

BIOS support and other weird bugs have been an issue for some using 1st/2nd gen boards with 3rd gen CPUs but seem more the exception than the rule