What will Mantle do to pc gaming?

Massa9

I finally saw a video from Red Gaming Tech that had some numbers and news on Mantle. It is very technical so even if i could i wouldn't go into it. If you your not familar with Red Gaming Tech, they have a Youtube channel and have very detailed tech analysis. So I am exited and aslo a bit worried about Mantle to be honest.  There are some impressive performance gains in BF4. I think the highest one I heard was BF4 running on a 4960x with 2 R9 290x's in crossfire and the gain was 58% over Direct X. What does this mean for Direct X, what does this mean for Microsoft, I am sure intel can hold it's own. It is quite obvious that AMD is really taking a leap forward and taking it upon them selves to give the gamer a better low level API. Now AMD owns the living room right now as 3 big consoles use their hardware. Lots of PC gamers use Windows because it is compatible with games. Now like Linus Says Microsoft has had awhile to get their shit together with Direct X, If you look at the previous versions like DX7 and DX9 there is a big difference. Even DX10 was a big step foward. DX11 was better than DX10 but not as much as DX10 was to DX9 . And now we have had Direct X 11 since 2009 that is almost 2 graphic card upgrades for most people. What if the game Dev's decide to code just for Mantle? And what if Mantle does not work with Nvidia. The Console market would be targeted even more then it is now. I really hope there is a DX12 and it is similar to the Mantle API. Though that would mean new, hardware new OS, "Compatability issues" That is one of the excuses Microsoft has been using to keep feeding us DX11 for so long. They have already done this when Vista came out...sort of. if you read all of this you have my praise as I do not understand every little thing I have read or heard about Manlte.......You never know Microsoft might just take the technogly or buy it.

Well mantle ruins my bf4 experience. I go from 60-80 fps without it and 30-60 with it. Don't know whats wrong but mine doesn't seem to work

What i benchmarked, i noticed that mantle is awesome even on single GPU (290) i had around 30% more in avg FPS, we just need to hope that Mantle will come to Nvidia. :)

Increases the FPS performance, more stability running crossfire for amd graphics cards. Also it elevates cpu bottlenecks in using either intel or amd.

http://t.co/heTYhRo7zj

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I don't really think it will affect much. I have no heard of these performance gains you speak of with a 53% on the high end platforms but BF4 is an absolutely horribly optimized game so I would rather not use it to base how effective Mantle is. Also Mantle was designed to alleviate CPU bottlenecks (since AMD CPUs suck compared to Intel's high end) so I don't see how the performance gains were the greatest with the high end hardware. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I saw a drop, I was too tired to do anymore testing but, ultra on bf4 I saw a drop in performance.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Mantles only gonna get better and more optimized for games and you know why? FOR THE CONSOLES -> AMD CHIPS MORE GRAPHICS POWER = SONY MICROSOFT HAPPY AND WE WILL BE HAPPY TOO ONCE ITS FULLY COMPLETE NOT IN ALPHA DRIVER STAGE

Well mantle ruins my bf4 experience. I go from 60-80 fps without it and 30-60 with it. Don't know whats wrong but mine doesn't seem to work

I saw a drop, I was too tired to do anymore testing but, ultra on bf4 I saw a drop in performance.

my experience with mantle too, more optimizing to come so waiting on that.

AMD FX-8350 @4GHz / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / G.Skill RipJaw X 8GB 1866Mhz / Samsung 840 120GB SSD / Sapphire R9 270X Toxic / Corsair CX500 / Fractal Design Define R4 / Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue / Xiaomi  Piston 2.0 / Steelseries Sensei / LG G3 32GB

mantle is a way betetr option than g-sync and in future games will get more benefits from it.

bf4 is not that good optimized but after few patches it will be better eveytime and it will be used more and more in the future.

the less newer hardware you need to play latest games the more people can play these games and they will automatically sell more games.

give it time to grow every new product have issues.

Improve frame rates. That's bout it

On game dev end's apparently it's also easier to develop for Mantle, and it gives them more freedom to do as they wish with the hardware.

"Rawr XD"

ive seen a massive in crease in fps with my 7970 ultra was normally 45-65 with mantle - 60-110 fps it never dropped  below 60 fps  i love it 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Mantle will allow AMD to remain relevant to pc gaming for a longer period of time because their weaker cpus will not bottleneck the gpu as much when compared to Direct X. 

What i benchmarked, i noticed that mantle is awesome even on single GPU (290) i had around 30% more in avg FPS, we just need to hope that Mantle will come to Nvidia. :)

This. Exactly This

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

lol wuuuuuuuuut

It will hopefully drive pc api's forward.

it would be preferred to have one pc api, but if all make advances then it's not a huge loss.

With a lower cpu overhead, games can have more going on in them creating more possibilities. 

Think 300 player war game with fully simulated destruction, vehicles, physics calculations.

Also, Mantle is tied to Windows as it uses elements of DirectX for its rendering, meaning there is little chance of getting the API implimented on other platforms in the same way it is on Windows.

Where is this stated that its bound to directx? I've seen it stated that it can use directx but not bound to it.

If your talking about battlefield 4 this is basicly a proof of concept to me.

Mantle driver support is still a beta right now so no surprises that it'll cause frame instability for some users.
Mantle does support Nvidia card since it doesn't require gcn http://wccftech.com/amd-mantle-api-require-gcn-work-nvidia-graphic-cards cmiiw