Ryzen 7 3700x vs i7 9700k

Go to solution Solved by 5x5,

The 9700K is only ahead in games once it's overclocked. For that you need a high end Z390 board and cooler. The 3700X comes with the excellent Wraith Prism and can run at max speed on a B450 Tomahawk. Just enable PBO and let it do it's thing. No need to tweak anything. In addition, the 3700X is about 30% faster in everything besides gaming, uses less power, runs notably cooler and doesn't suffer from the security issues plaguing Intel CPUs in the last year. It also has an upgrade path all the way up to 16 cores and potentially Zen3 next year. The 9700K is on a dead socket with the only upgrade option is the space heater 9900K

Hi Guys, 

So Finally i have saved enough money to buy myself a new motherboard, cpu and ram. since my i5 4690k is a bit "outdated"  but their is a problem i can't seem to choose betweeen the 3700x or the 9700k. 

I'll be using my build for school ( not really important though) and mostly for gaming.... Since intel seems to be getting higher frames because it's better optimized I would want to get the 9700k but then the 3700x it a really good value cpu 

So yeah i dont know and i need help with making a decision 

Depends on the GPU, the games you're playing and what monitor you have. No one can make a valid decision based on the info you have provided.

:)

The 9700K is only ahead in games once it's overclocked. For that you need a high end Z390 board and cooler. The 3700X comes with the excellent Wraith Prism and can run at max speed on a B450 Tomahawk. Just enable PBO and let it do it's thing. No need to tweak anything. In addition, the 3700X is about 30% faster in everything besides gaming, uses less power, runs notably cooler and doesn't suffer from the security issues plaguing Intel CPUs in the last year. It also has an upgrade path all the way up to 16 cores and potentially Zen3 next year. The 9700K is on a dead socket with the only upgrade option is the space heater 9900K

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Depends on the GPU, the games you're playing and what monitor you have. No one can make a valid decision based on the info you have provided.

Ohw Im sorry should have indeed given more information. So here it is

Monitor is 32 inch 1440p

and games are mostly Rainbow, Call of Duty, Overwatch, Arma 3, Witcher. So mostly the newer AAA Games

Gpu: MSi rtx 2070 z

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Which Motherboard would you recommend a b450?/x470/ or a x570. i have the money for a x570 but they are expensive here in the Netherlands a MSI MEG x570 will cost me around 385 euro 

7 hours ago, WesleydeGroot said:

Ohw Im sorry should have indeed given more information. So here it is

Monitor is 32 inch 1440p

and games are mostly Rainbow, Call of Duty, Overwatch, Arma 3, Witcher. So mostly the newer AAA Games

Gpu: MSi rtx 2070 z

Then the Intel CPU won't be faster in any way. The only scenario in which the i7 can give higher framerates is with a 2080/2080 Ti at 1080p. At 1440p there is no difference in games but everything else stands.

Which Motherboard would you recommend a b450?/x470/ or a x570. i have the money for a x570 but they are expensive here in the Netherlands a MSI MEG x570 will cost me around 385 euro 

No no - that's beyond overkill. The Asus TuF X570 is enough to drive 2 3700Xs with ease. Anything more is unnecessary imo.

7 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Then the Intel CPU won't be faster in any way. The only scenario in which the i7 can give higher framerates is with a 2080/2080 Ti at 1080p. At 1440p there is no difference in games but everything else stands.

Well If there is no difference then the answer is very clear.. AMD here i come!

7 hours ago, 5x5 said:

No no - that's beyond overkill. The Asus TuF X570 is enough to drive 2 3700Xs with ease. Anything more is unnecessary imo.

Unfortunately we do not have that Motherboard in stock here in the netherlands.... 

2 minutes ago, WesleydeGroot said:

If you really wanted to save some scratch, B450 motherboards get the job done and then some. The tomahawk is known as one of the best B450 motherboards right now because of the solid VRM solution and the BIOS update button, and there's also the MAX line from MSI that is updated for Ryzen 3rd gen out of the box.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, WesleydeGroot said:

Unfortunately we do not have that Motherboard in stock here in the netherlands.... 

What boards and prices are available there?

I dont know if you can read it but you'll atleast see all the x570 board that are available.

Link: https://azerty.nl/category/componenten/moederborden/Amd_moederborden/socket_am4#!sorting=12&limit=9&view=grid&moederbordchipset=AMD_X570

https://azerty.nl/product/asrock/3942172/x570-phantom-gaming-4-moederbord-atx

Get this imo - it's good and can handle a 3900X or 3950X in the future

I dont know if you can read it but you'll atleast see all the x570 board that are available.

Link: https://azerty.nl/category/componenten/moederborden/Amd_moederborden/socket_am4#!sorting=12&limit=9&view=grid&moederbordchipset=AMD_X570

Though, the X570 Extreme 4 from ASRock is a notch better if you wish to spend the extra money.

To be honest I'd just go for the 3600 over the 3700x.  Unless you're going to use those extra 2 cores save the money and put it towards a better GPU

This wont be a new build just an upgrade unfortunately so i'll stick with my rtx 2070 untill something new drops :)

7 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Though, the X570 Extreme 4 from ASRock is a notch better if you wish to spend the extra money.

That board looks greattt will be getting :)

thank you for helping me out here :) Finally have made my decision