CPU Frequency unstable?

I recently bought a RTX 2070 and i was testing it on 3dmark Port Royal, when i decided to check the frequencies i noticed they were unstable on my i7 7700.

Since I dont know about this topic I decided to ask about it in this forum.

My Build:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AztecaYT/saved/jTDyXL

3dmark screenshots :

1618606894_Capturadepantalla(91).thumb.png.10c1c3c5fe2fad652409178ff632ebba.png6506882_Capturadepantalla(92).thumb.png.a15595f30775d7b0dc06b03499b1b0fc.png

First time posting on a forum in a long time so if theres anything wrong let me know

4 minutes ago, AztecaYT_123 said:

I recently bought a RTX 2070 and i was testing it on 3dmark Port Royal, when i decided to check the frequencies i noticed they were unstable on my i7 7700.

Since I dont know about this topic I decided to ask about it in this forum.

My Build:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AztecaYT/saved/jTDyXL

3dmark screenshots :

First time posting on a forum in a long time so if theres anything wrong let me know

Have you checked on CPU temperatures? At first glance that looks like thermal throttling.

If your CPU is reaching temperatures over 85C and your CPU fan is already running at max, you might want to check your cooler's clamping and the thermal paste application. Sometimes thermal paste will lose performance over time. Also check for good airflow in your case - one good thing to try is to run the test with the side panel open and see how your temps do.

Let us know if these work :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

This is most likely to the fact, that intel turbo boost is boosting higher when it needs to 

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Have you checked on CPU temperatures? At first glance that looks like thermal throttling.

If your CPU is reaching temperatures over 85C and your CPU fan is already running at max, you might want to check your cooler's clamping and the thermal paste application. Sometimes thermal paste will lose performance over time. Also check for good airflow in your case - one good thing to try is to run the test with the side panel open and see how your temps do.

Let us know if these work :)

Results say the CPU ran at 50 C through the test reaching 72C once for less than a second, tho im going to try again w/o the side pannel

1 minute ago, AztecaYT_123 said:

Results say the CPU ran at 50 C through the test reaching 72C once for less than a second, tho im going to try again w/o the side pannel

Interesting. Can you run HardwareInfo 64 to check on the temp in case the benchmark is misreporting results?

The other possible explanation for the throttling is power based. Can you try clearing your CMOS? If you changed settings in there sometimes there's BIOSes that get jerky. Clearing it should rule out that problem.

There's a third possible explanation. Perhaps 3DMark Port Royal uses really heavy AVX workloads that could potentially damage the mobo. If that's the case, running any other CPU benchmark like cinebench should yield normal results.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Are you actually experiencing any performance issues? That could just be down/up clocking as it is needed.

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Interesting. Can you run HardwareInfo 64 to check on the temp in case the benchmark is misreporting results?

The other possible explanation for the throttling is power based. Can you try clearing your CMOS? If you changed settings in there sometimes there's BIOSes that get jerky. Clearing it should rule out that problem.

There's a third possible explanation. Perhaps 3DMark Port Royal uses really heavy AVX workloads that could potentially damage the mobo. If that's the case, running any other CPU benchmark like cinebench should yield normal results.

Port Royal without side pannel:1764567526_Capturadepantalla(96).thumb.png.dd753b47945fc5e1661a6dba9697966e.png1748892244_Capturadepantalla(95).thumb.png.e294a9da34d8803ae525cf8970310710.png

Did cinebench without side panel too and scored 2102 points, with fully stable 4000 Mhz, so i guess theres no problem

MSI Afterburner says CPU temps are the same as 3dmarks results, difference of 8 degrees on GPU and 10 on CPU