I've got a bit of an issue

D602

My phone (OnePlus 6T) broke a few days ago. Screen died out on me, but I know the phone itself still works because when I hold the power button down, it vibrates like normal, as well as the notification slider, so the internal architecture isn't destroyed. That being said, I have 3000+ photos on there that I would love to get back, so I connected the busted phone to my PC, thinking it would work, and I could seamlessly transfer my files. Instead of showing up as a phone though, it'll show up in File Explorer as CD Drive F: OnePlus Drivers, with a copy to all the driver setup .exe files, but no actual way to access the internal storage on the phone to move my pictures over to the PC. In Devices, it'll appear as an MTP USB Drive, with 4 sub devices: A USB Device, and three various USB Cable connections. I tried clearing and reinstalling the Drivers, though I know this isn't the issue, because my new phone (also a OnePlus 6T) connects fine to the PC. If I try to run the driver .exe files provided in the CD Drive folder in File Explorer, it'll run the setup, but nothing changes. Some people have suggested to turn on USB debugging, activate File Transfer, or MTP Mode on the phone, but that's difficult to do when you can't see the screen. Is there anything I can do to get these photos back that comes to mind? I'm here out of sheer frustration because I've been at this for three days now.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, D602 said:

That's the issue though. The phone doesn't REGISTER as an Android Device on the computer. It registers as a CD Drive.

You can go into your device manager and potentially change it

or it's under devices and printers

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can go into your device manager and potentially change it

or it's under devices and printers

If I go under devices and printers, it shows a CD Drive, labeled "OnePlus". That AT LEAST gives me hope, since the computer recognizes that it's a OnePlus device.

As for changing it from a CD Drive to a phone... How do you go about that?

1 minute ago, D602 said:

If I go under devices and printers, it shows a CD Drive, labeled "OnePlus". That AT LEAST gives me hope, since the computer recognizes that it's a OnePlus device.

As for changing it from a CD Drive to a phone... How do you go about that?

You have to go through the control panel to get the old devices and printer screen, then just right click into properties, and under hardware there's a place where you can try different drivers and stuff.

You'll have to check google more specifically for exactly what driver might work

1388742383_Device1.jpg.556ecaf5c2527d11dc488546979ffc86.jpg

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You have to go through the control panel to get the old devices and printer screen, then just right click into properties, and under hardware there's a place where you can try different drivers and stuff.

You'll have to check google more specifically for exactly what driver might work

Ah, I've tried that. It just defaults back to the one on the top of the list, which is kinda strange. I'll give it another go in the morning though.

14 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Alright,I gave it one more shot and tried swapping drivers, deleting all of the ones in the list and replugging the phone in, etc. Nothing.

I also tried to use the program you suggested, but it say I need USB debugging on. That's fairly difficult to do when you can't see the screen at all. If I go into Devices and Printers though, I get the first photo. If I open properties, I get the second Finally, if I open up the driver list for the MTP USB device, I get the third one. 

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

13 minutes ago, D602 said:

Probably need to try at some android specific forum like android central

Spoiler

On 8/29/2019 at 12:28 AM, D602 said:

Ah, I've tried that. It just defaults back to the one on the top of the list, which is kinda strange.

17 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Probably need to try at some android specific forum like android central

Just had an idea. Do you think a USB C to HDMI adapter would allow me to see the screen on my TV? I'd think that might require USB Debugging too, so I don't know.