Intel i7-9700K or Ryzen 7 3700X for 1440p 144Hz gaming?

So I'm trying to plan out a gaming build, but I'm getting frustrated at trying to find reasons for purchasing an AMD chip over an Intel chip.

The sole reasons being given by the community are:

• its $40 cheaper
  • comes with a CPU cooler (cheaper)
  • good for multitasking
  • easier upgrade path (maybe)

Focusing ONLY on gaming, multi-threading, based on what all YouTube tech groups are saying, does NOTHING for games; maybe 10+ extra FPS for one or two titles, but no one is giving solid data for actual (gaming) benefits. Probably since most games seem to only use a single core (once again based on what everyone on YouTube is saying).

Are people arguing for AMD simply because cost and they don't like Intel? I don't use Blender and the ONLY multitasking I plan on doing is running Discord and maybe a few tabs in Firefox in the background (and of course two antivirus solutions; I'm cybersecurity).

Is it that at 1440p the differences are negligible and you just get more options with Ryzen? If thats the case, I'd love some confirmation. Everyone just seems so wishy-washy on this subject. I'd like an answer and I just want to strangle the next person who says it depends... LIIIIIIINUS!!!

14 minutes ago, Revanchist1ab said:

The performance between Ryzen 3000 and 9th gen intel for gaming is within like 10% now, so it makes sense to buy the cheaper AMD CPUs.

If you aren't planning on doing much besides gaming then you should be getting the far cheaper R5 3600, you could even just get one of the MSI B450 boards with USB bios flashing, as their 4 phase VRMs are fine for the 6 core.

Do you already own the 1440p 144hz display? And what GPU?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

AMD is just cheaper for the same performance now. The Ryzen 5 3600 is basically an i7 8700k, except only $200. Similar story with an i9 9900K and a Ryzen 7 3700X.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Pretty much neck to neck in 1080p.

In 1440p and up it would be negligible as the load would be heavier on the gpu.

Yes, getting a Ryzen not only perform the same in current games, it might also perform better when games support multi threading.

Better upgrade path, since you won't be stuck in 8 cores for that socket, at least you can run 16 cores in the future if you want to.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thank you for your responses, all of you. Direct answers are underappreciated in this day and age.

I'm looking to spend just below $1800 so I will be most likely looking at a Ryzen 7 and either a 2070 super or 2080 super.

Yes, I already have an Acer Predator 27" 144Hz 1ms panel.