some questions about recording / streaming

i'm thinking about recording video's / streaming with OBS. i have a few questions about that. 

i have a weak cpu (Q9550), but i want to try to offload the workload to a GPU i hope.

i have loads of spare gpu's, but the easiest to use would be either a GTX 280 or a GTX 690. i sort of want to sell the 690, so if the 280 would work that would be amazing. 

1080p is my target resolution, 30fps i guess. 60 would be nice but i will be bottlenecked at some point then anyway, unless i stream very old games. 

so, is it at all possible on my hardware and is it possible to use a GTX 280 for this to accelerate the workload? 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

i'm thinking about recording video's / streaming with OBS. i have a few questions about that. 

i have a weak cpu (Q9550), but i want to try to offload the workload to a GPU i hope.

i have loads of spare gpu's, but the easiest to use would be either a GTX 280 or a GTX 690. i sort of want to sell the 690, so if the 280 would work that would be amazing. 

1080p is my target resolution, 30fps i guess. 60 would be nice but i will be bottlenecked at some point then anyway, unless i stream very old games. 

so, is it at all possible on my hardware and is it possible to use a GTX 280 for this to accelerate the workload? 

If you stream on Twitch, don't stream at 1080p.

Stick to 720p, if will look a lot better simply for the reason that you are restricted by the maximum bitrate and there is simply not enough headroom to do so without huge performance impact on your game. 

The answer is no, just no. In order to use GPU, you need to have one that supports NVENC (or AMDs equivalent) or CPU that supports QuickSync. GTX690 has NVENC, but depending on what you are trying to stream, that might not be such a good idea.

With what you have, even 720p30 recording might be stretching it. Generally you 2nd or 3nd gen Core i to get something going on. I say this with experience from recording on Q6600 and GTX560Ti. The performance boost I got with upgrading to i7 was just amazing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv