Backplane? Connect ? How?

TechMarc

Good Evening,

I recently bought a servercase which has an Backplane. Now there are many cable.. I have absolutely no idea where to plugin these.

I know, that there are some SGP (?) Cable.

Do i need them or is it enought to plug in the power cable into the backplane and the SATA into my mainboard? I hope so :D 

I Dont need an raid or smth.. I just need to use my harddrives..

Thank! (Sorry for my bad english, im from germany haha)

What chassis? Model number?

If it's a most basic SAS/SATA backplane you should be able to just plug in PWR/DATA and you're good to go but some backplanes are more complicated than that.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

If you look up the manual it will tell you the minimum power requirements that it needs to work.

The Power is already connected. The question ist just if i can only plugin the SATA into the MB and use the harddrives. Also theres no manual about the backplane, because usually the server got sell with hardware

5 minutes ago, TechMarc said:

The Power is already connected. The question ist just if i can only plugin the SATA into the MB and use the harddrives. Also theres no manual about the backplane, because usually the server got sell with hardware

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/RS720E6RS12/HelpDesk_Manual/

The manual only shows how to install the backplane.  I don't see anything about it being required.  Try and boot it with just the 24pin and CPU power installed does it post? 

2 minutes ago, TechMarc said:

I'm not extensively familiar with this line of servers so I can't say if it's just a pass-though or if the backplane has it's own break-out controller. @leadeater might have better insight. How many SATA cables come off the backplanes? 3 or 12? A different number?

Many of the other wires may just be for front panel indicator LEDs (not required - convenient though)

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/RS720E6RS12/HelpDesk_Manual/

The manual only shows how to install the backplane.  I don't see anything about it being required.  Try and boot it with just the 24pin and CPU power installed does it post? 

tbh i havent found the manual ! thank! tomorrw the mainboard will arrive. ill test it tomorrow

The backplane appears to primary be a direct pass-though. There's a lot of functions going on on the right according to the manual but you should be able to just power the backplane with an 8-pin from the PSU and connect the SATA cables. Beyond that I expect you should be able to use your drives.

EDIT:

It does seem you have to keep the following image in mind:

1808641213_Screenshotfrom2019-08-2117-00-29.png.6a88c45dcee7a75f127e5d302561cfd6.png

So the bottom four ports are direct SATA while the top 8 are affiliated with SAS. Normally SAS cards are backwards compatible with SATA devices but you won't really know in this case until you try it.