Yay Mechanical Drives

Gerowen

Was recently migrating data from one external drive to another, larger one and heard/saw this from the source drive after about 30 minutes.  The drive had been fine for ages, but when it's time to get data off it it decides to take a dump.  It did end up working well enough to get everything off, and everything important is on our Nextcloud server, but I didn't feel like re-doing my virtual machines and re-downloading all my Steam games over again, ?  All our PCs use SSDs for their boot drives, I may just replace my external/portable drive with an SSD as well so that the only spinning platters will be the large storage drives in the server.  It's getting to the point now that it seems SSDs are more reliable, almost as cheap and less vulnerable to damage from vibration, which a portable/external drive that I stick in my laptop case would be exposed to.

Please tell me where I can buy a 10TB SSD for $250, lol. Yes they've declined in price substantially since their inception and larger capacities are coming cheaper but the tipping point where you start paying more for density is much lower than that of HDDs and you're still paying much more per GB so for high-capacity applications and cost-effectiveness HDDs aren't going away any time soon.