Is it okay and possible to remove the cable sleeve?

IAmAndre

Hi

I'm trying to improve my cable management. As of now my main issue is the 24-pin motherboard power cable that won't fit behind the motherboard unlike the PCI power cable, which is flat. I think I can make it fit if I tear the sleeve apart. I have a semi-modular PSU (BeQuiet PurePower 11). Would you recommend doing it?

You probably won't be able to make it much flatter.

Yes, removing the sleeve is fairly easy and safe to do but it will probably look uglier without the sleeve.

There's probably a zip tie holding the sleeve to the bundle of cables and then heatshrink is applied over the zip tie. You can use some fine scissors to cut the heatshrink and then use pliers or something to snip the zip tie... You can then pull up the sleeve and maybe re-arrange the wires and then pull down the sleeve.

The only concern I would have about doing that is it may void your warranty. If that doesn't matter to you then removing the sleeve won't hurt anything.

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You probably won't be able to make it much flatter.

Yes, removing the sleeve is fairly easy and safe to do but it will probably look uglier without the sleeve.

There's probably a zip tie holding the sleeve to the bundle of cables and then heatshrink is applied over the zip tie. You can use some fine scissors to cut the heatshrink and then use pliers or something to snip the zip tie... You can then pull up the sleeve and maybe re-arrange the wires and then pull down the sleeve.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The only concern I would have about doing that is it may void your warranty. If that doesn't matter to you then removing the sleeve won't hurt anything.

Thanks I finally decided to not do it. The cable management is still chaotic but I guess that's what semi-transparent cases are for.