2014 Chinese New Year: LoMa-JS

NormalQ

First of all, I wish everyone a happy 2014 Chinese New Year! 恭喜發財 (Kung Hei Fat Choy)

After many months of holding off this project, I’ve decided why not post it on the day of Chinese New Year. Hence, I’ve came up with a somewhat weird project name, “LoMa-JS” which is a Chinese idiom that stands for, “Long Ma Jing Sun (龍馬精神)” in Romanized Cantonese.

龍 (Long) : Dragon, symbolized by the MSI motherboard logo.
馬 (Ma) : Horse, the Chinese Zodiac sign for 2014.
精神 (Jing Sun) : Spirit.
I know it may sound cheesy, but it suits the theme of Chinese New Year!

It all began with the release of Battlefield 3 two years ago, I was very stunned by its graphics, so I tried it on my HP computer and it ran like crap. I decided to buy a pre-built gaming computer from NCIX. I was really in a rush and didn’t think about or have adequate knowledge on choosing computer hardware. The GPU was a Zotac GTX 570 with CoolerMaster HAF 912 case. I was really happy that I got to play BF3 in decent FPS without much lag.

But later down the road, the computer was acting weird; the monitor was turning off randomly, the PC was restarting automatically from time to time. So I open up my PC and take a look. To my disguising surprise, there are presence of cockroaches; hiding on the sides of the case panel, on top of the hard drive cages, and many other hard to reach places inside the case. This was all because of the place I was living in; my apartment was filled with rats, cockroaches and worst of all, bedbugs! I was living there for 1 whole year before I GTFO (literally) and moved to a better home. Anyway, I couldn’t deal with the pre-built computer anymore, the inside smells like cockroaches sh*t and the computer just restarts whenever it wants. At this point, I have given up on this computer and decided to salvage what I can for reselling and reusing. So it began a journey of research and patients to build my own PC with an all-around components.

I started the planning since the summer of 2013. Because of how I rushed into buying my first gaming computer during the first week of November in 2011, I overpaid my components and missed the upcoming Black Friday and Boxing Day sales. To this day, I still regret this decision. So this time around, I waited patiently for the right time to come.

My goal is to build a quiet, yet clean-looking computer. With my research completed, I waited about 2 months for Black Friday to hit, and another 3 weeks for Boxing Day. On top of that, the computer case and keyboard was on back-order, so a couple of more weeks was wasted in waiting. Luckily, most of my desired hardware was on sales.

Here’s a breakdown of my hardware, with its sales price compared to MSRP.

2_Computer_Prices.jpg

2. I7 4770K : great for gaming as well as video and photo editing.
3. MSI Z87 GD65 motherboard : rich in features for its price, plus it looks great.
4. Swiftech H220 cooler : silent and cools down the CPU really well.
5. MSI GTX760 Gawk : does the job well in gaming and comes with back plate.
6. Corsair RM650 PSU : it is fully modular, 80 Plus Gold and silent.
7. G.Skill 16GB RAM : matches the motherboard’s color scheme and great for video editing and virtual machines.
8. Logitech G500s mouse : comfortable, period.
9. Logitech G430 headset : comes bundled with the mouse, no complaints.
10. Logitech G240 mousepad : I know it’s quite expensive, but it matches my other peripherals.
11. Logitech G710+ keyboard : cherry MX brown switches, a lot better than membrane.
12. Samsung 840 EVO 250GB : top of the line SSD, very fast.
13. Seagate 1TB SSHD : hard drive + SSD = perfect match.
14. ORICO 5.25 hard drive racks : I want the front intake fans to have no obstacles.
15. Noctua NF-F12 120mm fans : Quiet and does a great job for radiator’s fans.
16. Noctua NF-A14 140mm fans : Quiet and moves a lot of intake and outtake air.
17. Creative Labs Gigaworks T20 Speakers : Great 2.0 speakers for the buck.
18. Acer H236HL 23” IPS monitor : it has a slim bezels, IPS and inexpensive.
19. Silverstone fan filters : magnetic and has very fine filter.

1. Fractal Define R4 Windowed : silent and see through.

1_showing_All.jpg
3_workbench.jpg
4_tools.jpg
5_taking_Off.jpg
6_hard_Drives.jpg
7_motherboard.jpg
8_installing_Motherboard.jpg
9_noctua_Fans.jpg
10_front_Fans.jpg
11_h220.jpg
12_h220_Noctua_Fans.jpg
13_h220_In_Case.jpg
14_hard_Drive_Racks.jpg
15_GPU.jpg
16_messy_Cables.jpg
17_clean_Cables.jpg
18_Closing_Side_Panel.jpg
19_Monitor.jpg
20_Setting_Up_Windows.jpg
21_Messy_Tables.jpg
22_Messy_Underneth_Cables.jpg
23_Clean_Underneth_Cables.jpg
24_Clean_Underneth_Cables2.jpg
25_peripherals.jpg
26_Front_Case.jpg
27_Window_Side.jpg
28_Window_Shide2.jpg
29_Rear_Case.jpg
30_Top_Fan_Filters.jpg
31_Inside1.jpg
32_Inside2.jpg
33_Inside3.jpg
34_Night_Shot.jpg
35_Whole_Shot.jpg
36_Whole_Shot2.jpg

- The i7 4770k is overclocked to 4.6GHz at 1.285V.
Idle Temperature : 23 degrees Celsius
100% Under-Load Temperature : 73 degrees Celsius
- The MSI GTX760 Hawk is overclocked to 1173MHz GPU clock and 1702MHz Memory clock (6808 effective) with Boost clock 1238MHz.
Idle Temperature : 27 degrees Celsius
Under-Load Temperature : 66 degrees Celsius

Room temperature is 21 degrees Celsius

<>TL;DR<>

Old PC has cockroaches and the inside smells like sh!t, so I build a new one myself.

Am I the only one who finds the Define R4 not necessarily ugly,but not that good looking?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

SAO and Attack on Titan. good choice on anime.  PC looks good too lol

Parvum Systems S1.0, 3570K, H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB @ 1866, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, WD Velociraptor 600GB HDD, Corsair AX850

Sweet! Great cable management at the back!

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

looks nice and i like how you realized halfway through you build that your fans were backwards 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Am I the only one who finds the Define R4 not necessarily ugly,but not that good looking?

judging from all the R4 build, yes, yes we are.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

judging from all the R4 build, yes, yes we are.

The NZXT H440 looks so damn good :l

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The NZXT H440 looks so damn good :l

I agree. ^^

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

No me too! I dont think its anything special. Kinda boring and plain. 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Why Windows 7? You do know that Windows 8 is out :P

reminds me when vista came out

Thank you all! I would have considered the NZXT H440 but I already bought the Define R4 before I find out about the H440... Especially the red and black color, excellent match for my systems!

I already got a key for Windows 7, that's why. Plus, Windows 8 is not for me anyway (I've tried it) :P

looks nice and i like how you realized halfway through you build that your fans were backwards 

Haha, you caught me there.

SAO and Attack on Titan. good choice on anime.  PC looks good too lol

Awesome anime it is. Can't want for SAO 2!

Looks good man, I love your room setup :). I like aswell the hardware you have, will you be tweaking the CPU a little or? Do you think you achieved your goals with this build of it being quiet and clean? I think you did, looks great. Well done and welcome to the forums, hope to see you around alot. A++

Thanks! For the CPU, 4.6GHz at 1.285v is as far as I can get in terms of stability. I've tried going for 4.7GHz but it was stable at 1.32v and I don't want to push any further.

You don't need to have dust filters on the exhaust; the back and top of the case. You can put them back on once you turn off your computer ;)

But for the front intakes leave the dust filter on !

*Gong Xi Fa Cai

Nice cable management!

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

No me too! I dont think its anything special. Kinda boring and plain. 

Fractals are meant for a slick/simple design. The reason people choose them though is because its the only case that actually accomplishes that while being silent and packed with features for a fair cost.

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

Fractals are meant for a slick/simple design. The reason people choose them though is because its the only case that actually accomplishes that while being silent and packed with features for a fair cost.

I would like to see your build!

@OP Really nicely done, I would however suggest you add some RED led's. May be order 1 of those 2M NZXT Braided LED strips. You can turn them off whenever u want :)

AMD FX 4100 @ 4.5Ghz NB @ 2.6Ghz @ 1.42v | ASUS M5A88-M | CORSAIR 2X4GB DDR3 | CM HYPER 212+ | XFX R9 280X DOUBLE D |

| SEASONIC S12II 620W| SEGATE BARACUDA 2TB | NZXT PHANTOM 530 | STEEL SERIES SIBERIA | LOGITECH MX518 |

I would like to see your build!

@OP Really nicely done, I would however suggest you add some RED led's. May be order 1 of those 2M NZXT Braided LED strips. You can turn them off whenever u want :)

Why do you wanna see mah build? But anyway here are some pictures of before I put in my h100i and got my new mouse so I will show an updated post of it when I have time.

http://gyazo.com/cfe69cbc93f07f1c687503e3be5ee64c

http://gyazo.com/067fab807e1d15189c7ae1a44de735a9

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

why do you have dust filters on the exhausts?

why do you have dust filters on the exhausts?

I know that it's unnecessary, but it doesn't hurt to have them on. I'm too lazy to deal with the dusts in the case later on. 

you got a good 4770k :o

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Why not windows 7?

Why not windows 7?

Because... Windows 8 is newer. And better.

are kidding me.

I was over at my friend to fix a sound problem..

I felt myself so stupid. me the tech guy of my school

cant even find the controll panel in windows 8...

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

are kidding me.

I was over at my friend to fix a sound problem..

I felt myself so stupid. me the tech guy of my school

cant even find the controll panel in windows 8...

It isn't that hard? You hit the windows key and type "control panel". Just like in Windows 7

Newer? Yes

Better? hmmmnaaah  ^_^