Hard drive comparability for DL380

I have an HP DL380 G7 and it currently has 8 tiny hard drives in it. I want to bump those up to 1 TB drives. This is a simple lab box and does not need to be anything special at this point. I am looking at using WD Blue SATA drives from New Egg since they are pretty affordable.  8s the free an issue with using SATA instead of SAS? And... can I hot swap them to keep from having to start over with my configuration. Like do a drive and.leave it for a day and do another one, etc. I know very little about enterprise grade server stuff.

it depends what the interface is in the caddies for its current drives

20 minutes ago, GuruOfNothing said:

SATA instead of SAS

That will work fine, SAS controllers are cross compatible with SATA. The Backplane connector in the server accepts both SAS and SATA disks and the caddies are just alignment mounting and it's the actual drive that plugs in.

22 minutes ago, GuruOfNothing said:

can I hot swap them to keep from having to start over with my configuration

Sadly no, you cannot mix SAS and SATA within the same array for hardware RAID.

6 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

i think it's SAS. atleast, in my G6 it is.

All HP servers, near as much all servers too, use SAS backplane connectors. Backplanes without expander SoCs are literally just copper traces that go to a SAS or SATA plug to connect to a RAID/HBA card or motherboard.

The only physical difference between a SATA and SAS disk for the connector is SATA has a gap between the Data and Power pins and SAS does not, it's a full length interface. There is still a bump where that gap would be and this is how the backplanes physically and electrically support both. There isn't any reason to manufacture a SATA only backplane basically.

Yes, these are all SAS drives. Good to know that I need to do the whole set at once. That's ok. -$320 for 8 drives is better than the way higher SAS replacements.