Pi-Hole Setup Tutorial

jakkuh_t

Bit of a stupid question, but I presume that you would plug the Raspi In to your router via the ethernet or configure it to your router if it has WiFi capabilities?

My ISP doesn't allow me to change the IP of a device to static. Is there anyway around this?

Please note that I don't a RasPi with me yet, I had to order one. Plus it's my first time doing anything like thise 

P.S. I have just discovered that my ISP also doesn't allow me to change my router DNS.

Edited by ShadowPT12
P.S.

2 hours ago, syfer said:

You know you dont need pi to block adds just do this 

https://www.techdoctoruk.com/tips-tricks/block-all-ads/

on your router add 

Enter the DNS server addresses there:

and you are goodto go and you done to anything else.

There are pros and cons doing this. The DNS response times will be much higher for those who live across the globe. Also you have to trust this DNS server that it will never become malicious.

I am more interested in blocking Ads through all upcoming traffic on my iphone on cellular connection, which is basically impossible. There is Luna VPN, but sometimes it doesn't work, and again you would have to trust this company with your data. 

I am wondering for anyone that has Pi hole can you please see if this would block Americas got talent advertisements? Often times if the advertisements are blocked some websites will prevent you to watch a episode or they won't like the page to load.

Edit: Is there a way to prevent data of being shown? It doesn't feel secure if it's all displayed on whos logging in where. If any authority comes in the house and takes the Pi then your basically giving them all of the data.

1 minute ago, quakeguy said:

I just wanted to point out that you don't need a Raspberry Pi computer to run Pi-Hole.  You just need a computer running a supported Linux distribution.  That is how I run Pi-Hole.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/main/prerequesites/#supported-operating-systems

But you have to keep that computer on 24/7 if everyone is to run through that DNS. 

Great tutorial. I deploy a DNS black hole on my router/firewall through Unbound. I use PF for my firewall. Using DNS over TLS via ipV6 and blocking all port 53 traffic on the external interface almost 100% guarantees that your ISP can't intercept your DNS traffic. One final measure to ensure Google can't spy via DNS is to add their ipV4 and ipV6 DNS server addresses to a "Evil DNS" table and block all traffic to those servers. (I also have my ISP's servers in the table.)

would it work if i just ran it in a VM using a bridged connection to a spare network card i can put in my pc and then just setting Windows to the VM's IP?

She/Her

AdGuard Home in my opinion is way better and easier to setup than Pi Hole. I've been running it for over a year now in a Docker and absolutely love it. It now has one button blocking for things like facebook messenger that can be a pain to block when manually adding the DNS addresses. I can assign different rules per device on my network.

Is connecting the Raspberry pi wired vs wireless makes a difference?

17 minutes ago, guill_019 said:

Is connecting the Raspberry pi wired vs wireless makes a difference?

Bandwith is not an issue for a DNS but latency is, if your DNS is in wireless it would add extra letency to every DNS request you make, if you are okey with that, not problen

There is no need to setup an OpenVPN server (or any vpn at all) to use Pihole in a secure way outside of your house you only need to tweak your PiHole server to serve the DNS with DNS-over-TLS (this is different as setting it to consume DNS-over-HTTP or DNS-over-TLS as @GameMaster2030 recommended, which actually is a great idea). At the moment PiHole doesn't support DNS-over-TLS directly, but luckily it does support DNS-over-TCP, so we can use Nginx to set up a TLS tunnel and we are ready to go.
It may sound a bit complicated but it is not, just follow this guide.
BTW, if you don't have a domain name Freenom + Cloudflare would do the trick

I was wondering if I used a Raspberry Pi 4/3 B+ instead will I also be able to use the same device as a steam link?

I just went through this and it works fine on safari and speedtest app. (I followed the video). But the YouTube app still has ads. This was the main reason I went through this. Are there settings in the app I need to change? I did the router level setup if that makes a difference. 

The intro mentions using the RPi0 and that you will absolutely need the ethernet dongle.

So, what if I have a RPi0-W that has WiFi capabilities all on its own?

That, or I cam just use one of my RPi3s that have no current assignment, and allow them to play host to the Pi Hole software system...

Still, I'd like to know if I can use my RPi0-W for this, or is it not going to be robust enough?

Great job so far!

I will likely be hitting this up on the weekend.

Dusting off my old RPi now :)
Question about DNS though. Current using the Google DNS to circumvent the ISP blocking of 'sites'. Adding this Pi-hole as my DNS will block these sites again? Should i change the DNS on the router? or is there another way?

CPU: AMD R5-1600X @4.1 GHz/1.416v, GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3gb, RAM: 2x8gb Crucial, Mobo: MSI B350 Pro Mate, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 X, Case: Cooler Master Enforcer

set this up today at lunch using a old Pi 

Model B Revision 2.0
Mounting holes
512MB
000f

while watching YouTube on my LG 75" 4k smart tv it keeps freezing. it doesn't do this when i change the dns back to automatic in my nighthawk r8000 router, suggestions on what to whitelist to stop this happening?

26 minutes ago, Cwcb08 said:

set this up today at lunch using a old Pi 

Model B Revision 2.0
Mounting holes
512MB
000f

while watching YouTube on my LG 75" 4k smart tv it keeps freezing. it doesn't do this when i change the dns back to automatic in my nighthawk r8000 router, suggestions on what to whitelist to stop this happening?

I've been doing some reading and it's suggested in a few forums to add a few domains to the whitelist which may help. I think one fixes problems with videos not going to the watched history, though im not sure that is still a problem. Its really hard to block youtube adds this way apparently.

clients1.google.com

s.youtube.com

youtube-ui.l.google.com

video-stats.l.google.com

37 minutes ago, jjk9 said:

I've been doing some reading and it's suggested in a few forums to add a few domains to the whitelist which may help. I think one fixes problems with videos not going to the watched history, though im not sure that is still a problem. Its really are to block youtube adds this way apparently.

clients1.google.com

s.youtube.com

youtube-ui.l.google.com

video-stats.l.google.com

i just whitelisted these, hopefully it works, thanks

- edit: is whitelisting immediate or does it require a restart, still pausing while playing

Hi guys! I think I have some really important information that I think needs to be said before anyone (newbies like me) attempts this.

I've been trying to set this up for a couple hours now, and I realized that it might impossible for me. The step I'm stuck at-- Step 5 Now that we've found our Raspberry Pi's IP address + MAC Address, we need to assign it a static IP address-- is impossible for me because my ISP (TWC/Spectrum USA) requires users to have a "business connection" in order to obtain a static IP address or I could pay a VPN extra to have a static ip service and use that instead both of which costing money that I don't have.

If there's any ways to bypass this I'd be happy to know, but those were the only online solutions I could find.

If that is the case, I'd urge LTT to write a disclaimer at the top warning people of ISP's and the possible problems of obtaining a static address FIRST before they move on and attempt installing the PiHole.

Thanks for reading!

I saw you had this with pfsense do you have a proper guide on setting up pinhole with pfsense and vlans?

Also with DNS over HTTPS?

57 minutes ago, Symphler said:

Hi guys! I think I have some really important information that I think needs to be said before anyone (newbies like me) attempts this.

I've been trying to set this up for a couple hours now, and I realized that it might impossible for me. The step I'm stuck at-- Step 5 Now that we've found our Raspberry Pi's IP address + MAC Address, we need to assign it a static IP address-- is impossible for me because my ISP (TWC/Spectrum USA) requires users to have a "business connection" in order to obtain a static IP address or I could pay a VPN extra to have a static ip service and use that instead both of which costing money that I don't have.

If there's any ways to bypass this I'd be happy to know, but those were the only online solutions I could find.

If that is the case, I'd urge LTT to write a disclaimer at the top warning people of ISP's and the possible problems of obtaining a static address FIRST before they move on and attempt installing the PiHole.

Thanks for reading!

(So I created an account for you and everything!) 

The ip address mentioned in the tutorial is a "local" address, and probably starts with either 192.168 or 10. This address is completely internal to your network and is yours to assign as you wish. The "static" IP your ISP is talking about is the address which your router/modem uses, and is not necessary for setting up your Pi. 

Or, you could say the static IP (or not static in your case) is the street address of the apartment building that is your network, while the IP addresses of the devices on the network are like the apartment numbers. 

Hope this helps. 

So when I try and install pie hole the script gets to update local cache of available packages and then errors out saying:

Error: Unable to update package cache. Please try "apt-get update"

Apt get update works fine normally any thoughts?

will be old raspberry p1 model A powerful enough for this ? (because pi zero is more powerful)

8 hours ago, Cwcb08 said:

i just whitelisted these, hopefully it works, thanks

- edit: is whitelisting immediate or does it require a restart, still pausing while playing

Sorry, I didn't realise you had edited your post with a reply. It doesn't always work right away as devices can have a dns cache which it can use to speed up the process but causes proplems when switching to another dns. If you mean does the pi-hole need restarting? no, the change should be immediate after adding the links to the whitelist.