Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pi-Hole Setup Tutorial

jakkuh_t
 Share

No, only if the ssh file is in place, Raspbian (the RPi OS) enables ssh. Otherwise, it's off.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

 

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hello.. did anyone run this aplication with USB LTE modem as accesspoint with adblocking feature?

I am going to buy alcatel link key IK40 and looking for how to make this modem, with Zero as mobile  accessPoint and wish to have it  with this pretty adblocking feature... 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 10:11 PM, jakkuh_t said:

2.5A Micro USB AC Power Supply

  • You can get these really cheap on eBay, but we aren't making any promises about quality. AdaFruit has a solid one: https://lmg.gg/8KVm8

Maybe a silly question but,... Instead of powering the PiZero with a power brick, should it be ok to use a USB Dongle Expansion Board fitted under the Pi-Zero?

 

It's going in my Rackmount you see and all sockets on the PDU are taken up, but, I do have some Powered USB sockets spare.

 

Thanks Guys

! I Want To Believe !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm amazingly late to the pi-hole project but having a few spare hours (if such a thing exists) I decided to follow this guide and was very happy with the outcome. I tweaked the install a little to use cloudflared HTTPS - DNS and also adding my own blocklists, after some Google-fu I found the answer to Xbox live not letting notifications through and youtube history. Worthy tweaks in my opinion. 

Great walk through

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Rift_X said:

I know I'm amazingly late to the pi-hole project but having a few spare hours (if such a thing exists) I decided to follow this guide and was very happy with the outcome. I tweaked the install a little to use cloudflared HTTPS - DNS and also adding my own blocklists, after some Google-fu I found the answer to Xbox live not letting notifications through and youtube history. Worthy tweaks in my opinion. 

Great walk through

If I may ask, which OS did you install for Pi-Hole, as the "Raspbian Buster Lite" no longer exists.

I can only find the "Debian Buster with Raspberry Pi Desktop" ,... Is this the one you installed?

 

Thank you

 

! I Want To Believe !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

My router is just the default one that my ISP sent to me, and doesn't seem to allow for a static IP to be set. It also doesn't seem to allow me to set a DNS either, but that seems like it can be worked around. Just not sure about the IP situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, Alienmoon said:

Instead of powering the PiZero with a power brick, should it be ok to use a USB Dongle Expansion Board fitted under the Pi-Zero?

The Raspberry Pi Zero power specifications recommend a 1.2 Amp power supply, which is more than you can reliably draw from an bus powered USB hub (0.5 Amp for USB 2.0, and 0.9 Amp for USB 3.0 for a standard downstream USB port).

 

I haven't measured it, but I suspect the Pi Zero with a Ethernet or WiFi dongle would draw about 0.5 Amps with Linux (Raspbian / Debian) running Pi-Hole in the background for a typical home network. A powered USB hub with a 1.5-2 Amps (output) power supply should work.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2021 at 9:57 AM, Alienmoon said:

If I may ask, which OS did you install for Pi-Hole, as the "Raspbian Buster Lite" no longer exists.

I can only find the "Debian Buster with Raspberry Pi Desktop" ,... Is this the one you installed?

 

I believe the closest match is Raspberry Pi OS Lite (~442 MiB download currently) if you want the minimal environment. Such as you don't plan to use it for other tasks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

at the very first step im already lost. you link to raspberyy pi os page to get "Raspbian Buster Lite" but that os os not on that page so yea what do I do next?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what I am doing but I just cannot connect the Pi to my router. This tutorial made it look so easy. 

 

I got all the items listed - raspberry Pi Zero 1.3, SD card, power supply, Micro USB to RJ45 Ethernet Adapter.

Installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite on the SD card, enabled SSH. 

Plugged the Pi into my Mac and ssh into the Pi with success, changed the hostname and password.

But when I plug the Pi into my router with the ethernet adapter - nothing. I cannot SSH into the Pi.

I then got hold of a wifi dongle. Set up my wifi ssd and passcode, plugged the wifi dongle and managed to ssh into the Pi by wifi.

But I cannot see the Pi on my router list to set a static IP.

I then plugging the ethernet cable back in but still cannot see the Pi on my router device list.

 

Any suggestions. Been doing this over a week and starting to pull my hair out 🤪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, YogiX said:

I don't know what I am doing but I just cannot connect the Pi to my router. This tutorial made it look so easy. 

 

I got all the items listed - raspberry Pi Zero 1.3, SD card, power supply, Micro USB to RJ45 Ethernet Adapter.

Installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite on the SD card, enabled SSH. 

Plugged the Pi into my Mac and ssh into the Pi with success, changed the hostname and password.

But when I plug the Pi into my router with the ethernet adapter - nothing. I cannot SSH into the Pi.

I then got hold of a wifi dongle. Set up my wifi ssd and passcode, plugged the wifi dongle and managed to ssh into the Pi by wifi.

But I cannot see the Pi on my router list to set a static IP.

I then plugging the ethernet cable back in but still cannot see the Pi on my router device list.

 

Any suggestions. Been doing this over a week and starting to pull my hair out 🤪

Looks like it was my cheap ethernet adapter. Bought a new one and the Pi now shows up in my router device list!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this recently? I have been trying the past few days. I am having issues upgrading the packages. Every time I sudo apt upgrade it crashes while upgrading. Sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. Sometimes it freezes the whole system and I need to unplug the power cord to turn it off. Sometimes I get error messages telling me kernel pack is corrupt. Sometimes I get error messages saying could not connect to server. It is different every time. I have tried it on multiple SD cards. Help?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 6/24/2021 at 10:33 PM, immattalot said:

Has anyone tried this recently? I have been trying the past few days. I am having issues upgrading the packages. Every time I sudo apt upgrade it crashes while upgrading. Sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. Sometimes it freezes the whole system and I need to unplug the power cord to turn it off. Sometimes I get error messages telling me kernel pack is corrupt. Sometimes I get error messages saying could not connect to server. It is different every time. I have tried it on multiple SD cards. Help?

I am trying to do it soon but I am afraid as my router blocks everything :|

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2021 at 10:33 PM, immattalot said:

Has anyone tried this recently? I have been trying the past few days. I am having issues upgrading the packages. Every time I sudo apt upgrade it crashes while upgrading. Sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. Sometimes it freezes the whole system and I need to unplug the power cord to turn it off. Sometimes I get error messages telling me kernel pack is corrupt. Sometimes I get error messages saying could not connect to server. It is different every time. I have tried it on multiple SD cards. Help?

This can be due to it being a large process and either making it over-heat of it just doesn't have enough resources

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So i've got this pi set up and added some adlists from this post. The problem i'm having is that yt ads don't get blocked at all. Other ads are blocked nicely. I've been reading online and pihole itself even closed a forum topic about this, because blocking yt ads isn't possible because yt delivers your video request to the same domain as the ad request. Has anyone found a workaround?

I'm in Europe, if thats makes any difference.

chrome_uBnNEi9uxz.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 8/16/2019 at 10:11 PM, jakkuh_t said:

To enable Pi-Hole on a Router level, meaning it will work on all your devices automatically, you'll need to configure your router's DHCP server's default DNS settings.

  1. This process is going to vary wildly based on which router/DHCP server you use, so we'd recommend Googling your router's model name/number (can be found on the back) + "how to set DNS servers" (ex: "Netgear R7000 how to set DNS servers").

anybody know how to do this in the UK

with a talktalk hub black?

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Does pi-hole block adds in mobile network?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to try this project as my first foray into the world of Raspberry Pi, but I can't seem to find any Pi zeros for under $100. The pico does not have on-board internet capabilities... any suggestions on what to get?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Aztal_Samoht said:

I'm looking to try this project as my first foray into the world of Raspberry Pi, but I can't seem to find any Pi zeros for under $100. The pico does not have on-board internet capabilities... any suggestions on what to get?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/636644/mcm-electronics-raspberry-pi-compute-module-4-i-o-board

 

Should work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

So i got stuck at the step where i was supposed to log in to putty but it gives me access denied and i cant figure out a solution.

 

 

image.png.1a3e1ffa0ea8219aa34de92f984fcb21.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×