Cleaning thermal paste off of CPU and cooler

Okay, so I'm planning on removing and switching out my CPU cooler from a wraith prism to a CM 212 black edition due to giving the prism to a friend to be put into his first proper PC whenever I have time to put it together. Question is, what would be a fine enough way for me to clean off the stock paste off of the CPU and the cooler? It's been sitting there for about 9-10 months, so I don't know how dry it'll be exactly, but I'll see.

I don't think I can find 99% or whatever other percentages isopropyl that easy where I live (tried googling around a bit for places that sell it here in Finland, didn't find much), so any other good ways of scrubbing the old paste off? Thinking of using coffee filters for swiping, but if hand sanitizer etc is fine instead of isopropyl I should have some around.

I'd also like to confirm that I should stress the cpu out a little before removing the cooler to warm the paste up and not have it take off the cpu with it and having that damage the cpu, correct? don't really want to destroy my my 2700x ?

cheers!

7 minutes ago, quakeguy said:

Except hand sanitizer uses ethyl alcohol, and also contains additional stuff like water, fragrance, and glycerin.  The isopropyl percentage remainder is just water, meaning it will take longer to dry.  You can use 90% isopropyl or 50% isopropyl alcohol if you're brave.  Coffee filters are better than cotton swabs or paper towels to clean thermal paste because they leave less fibers behind.

I've used 70% isopropyl alcohol on everything with no issue. As long as you're careful when you're cleaning the IHS and other parts, even paper towels work.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 9 5900X, ASUS TUF RTX 4080

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz, ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

I got a smaller cleaner spray on amazon and use cheap disposable lint free wipes.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

1 minute ago, quakeguy said:

I first started using cotton swabs to clean thermal paste years ago, which isn't a great idea because it leaves a lot of cotton fibers behind.

I assume we're both talking about cotton balls? Or maybe you mean things like QTips.. I've always gravitated towards balls because that's what I have lying around.

1 minute ago, quakeguy said:

Q-tips or cotton balls work to clean thermal paste, hell you could even use a sock (I wouldn't want to keep it), but cotton seems like it would just leave fibers behind.  It doesn't seem like thermal paste and cotton mix well.

It's a bit tough to work with but gets the job done I suppose. Funny that I can justify spending hundreds on a system but not on proper cleaning equipment for the mobo and CPU.

T sprit should work if you have that or any other fuel ment for alcohol stoves. Fairly cheap for the amount you get, I am not even close to having used half my bottle since I bought it a few years ago

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Main point of my question was mainly to ask if there are alternatives to using isopropyl, I do know that it's the best choice when it comes to cleaning off paste.

Did some more digging anyhow, some people on different Finnish forums suggesting getting some antifreeze etc that is around 90% and up isopropyl/isopropanol (Supposed to be the same stuff, I should know this stuff since I study chemistry, but I didn't eh). That should be pretty easy to find and I should check if we have something suitable sitting around, if not I'll go grab some when I can.

I guess that stuff would be safe to use, no?

Edit: also like I said, getting something that doesn't have additives and things like that are kinda hard and kinda expensive around here 

14 minutes ago, Mantimestwo said:

Main point of my question was mainly to ask if there are alternatives to using isopropyl, I do know that it's the best choice when it comes to cleaning off paste.

Did some more digging anyhow, some people on different Finnish forums suggesting getting some antifreeze etc that is around 90% and up isopropyl/isopropanol (Supposed to be the same stuff, I should know this stuff since I study chemistry, but I didn't eh). That should be pretty easy to find and I should check if we have something suitable sitting around, if not I'll go grab some when I can.

If it is actually 90% isoproanol then yah that should work

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Someone mentioned that the one I was looking at having lubricants mixed in ever so slightly in there, so I still gotta look around a bit, probably

21 minutes ago, Mantimestwo said:

Edit: also like I said, getting something that doesn't have additives and things like that are kinda hard and kinda expensive around here 

From your post, I assume you're in Finland? Try your local pharmacy. That's where the sell isopropyl alcohol in the US and would make sense that they do it similarly across the pond.

I won't say it's a bad idea because it likely would work, but using alternatives seems far riskier with expensive equipment than using what is essentially the industry standard.

Yeah, guess I'll have a look around the local pharmacy we have in town. Figured that was the place to go for the safest bet, but figured I'd ask if there really is any safe cheaper alternative

Thanks for the tip

Yes they do sell isopropyl alcohol in Apteekki ? Haven't actually used that myself because it has been faster to just grab something from my storage which suits for cleaning most of the unhealthy stuff around but those aren't exactly clean, being based on oil as far as I know. And I use dishrug towels or whatever they are called. Some types don't leave any fabrics behind and you could always use canned air to blow those away.

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

I attempted to look around online still, mainly looked at the page for 100% isopropyl 100ml on the online store of the Helsinki university's pharmacy, but seems like they don't sell that stuff anymore. There are some legit looking cleaning/electronics based companies etc that seem to sell 100%-99.9% isopropyl, so those could be an option, price is not that bad either. I have a feeling the local pharmacy might not be a place I'll find some, but I'll go have a look anyhow most likely today. 

I think you have to ask for it, it may be one of those hidden items. They're not going to ask you hard proofs of the use case for that kind of stuff, I'm sure.

Once when I was into vaping and my liquid delivery was late I went to the a local pharmacy and asked for vegetable glycerol and some syringes and they were a bit like "Huh?" but laughed when I explained what I was doing and that I'd prefer the biggest and dullest needles

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

Alrighty, guess the plan is to see if they sell that stuff. If not, guess I will see about those shops selling some, mainly a store focused on speaker and other sound related electronics and components was selling 99.9% 

Thanks for the replys thus far ^^

Okay so, I'll most likely get a little of 99% pure alcohol from an acquintance who works at a local hospital's labs, the sort of stuff that is used for disinfecting needles etc., so don't have to buy any hopefully.

I suppose that is something that would be completely perfect for this?

Honestly i would not use vehicle coolant to clean a cpu. tldr version of why is... there are other things in antifreeze. I have been working on cars my whole like and some of the stains it has left in plastic being drained in... just no.

that said I have found the best thing i have found for cleaning thermal paste off is just those little alcohol wipes (prep pads or hand wipes). usually found in every drugstore or pharmacy section has them and its a piece of gauze/paper with the alcohol right on there. the pad wipes up the paste so its kind of all in one cleaning. usually I can find the hand sanitizer wipes at 90+% alcohol and zero water so maybe look for those if the water content concerns you that much. That said even the tiny bit of water in isp 70% will evaporate and not damage anything provided you wait for it to dry before runing any power to it. 

another odd soarce I used to grab "printer head cleaning wipes" from work, basically large pads of 99.9% IPA. a lot of electronic stores used to carry them and still might. we had them in the tech room and used em for cleaning just about everything. 

4 hours ago, Mantimestwo said:

Someone mentioned that the one I was looking at having lubricants mixed in ever so slightly in there, so I still gotta look around a bit, probably

Do you have Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner at your local auto parts store?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Just now, jstudrawa said:

Do you have Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner at your local auto parts store?

Don't really go to those so I honestly have no idea.

Won't probably go hunting for other solutions since that lined up 99% alcohol is probably perfect for the job

Just now, Mantimestwo said:

Don't really go to those so I honestly have no idea.

Won't probably go hunting for other solutions since that lined up 99% alcohol is probably perfect for the job

Might be worth checking out, since it's certified non-residual and safe for plastics too.

Plus it's like $10 for a huge can.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

I got a bottle of 90% isopropyl for like $1 at Walmart pharmacy area.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Still don't seem to understand why you want 100% isopropyl alcohol. 70% is perfectly fine and far better than alternatives.

10 hours ago, ajaxburger said:

Still don't seem to understand why you want 100% isopropyl alcohol. 70% is perfectly fine and far better than alternatives.

To be honest, naught in particular. It was just mainly what I was able to find online besides products that had other things mixed in, and nothing more. I could've settled fine on something with less % had I come across it, and now that I've pretty much secured a bit of pure isopropyl alcohol for the single cleaning I don't really need to hunt down more.

Edit: I now have a bottle of about 100ml of 80% ethanol that is used for disinfecting stuff in a hospital. That should probably do the trick alright.

On 8/16/2019 at 3:11 AM, Mantimestwo said:

Okay, so I'm planning on removing and switching out my CPU cooler from a wraith prism to a CM 212 black edition due to giving the prism to a friend to be put into his first proper PC whenever I have time to put it together. Question is, what would be a fine enough way for me to clean off the stock paste off of the CPU and the cooler? It's been sitting there for about 9-10 months, so I don't know how dry it'll be exactly, but I'll see.

I don't think I can find 99% or whatever other percentages isopropyl that easy where I live (tried googling around a bit for places that sell it here in Finland, didn't find much), so any other good ways of scrubbing the old paste off? Thinking of using coffee filters for swiping, but if hand sanitizer etc is fine instead of isopropyl I should have some around.

I'd also like to confirm that I should stress the cpu out a little before removing the cooler to warm the paste up and not have it take off the cpu with it and having that damage the cpu, correct? don't really want to destroy my my 2700x ?

cheers!

I've done everything you can imagine, and haven't destroyed anything so far (aside from my grandma's motherboard 12 years ago).

I've used both kitchen alcohol and 91% isopropyl alcohol (that's what I use nowadays).

I use either paper towel or coffee filters to clean it up.

I've done the warming up and no warming up to remove the cooler, and warming up does make it easier.