AIO Intake fan

xxthatcrazyhoboxx

Hello guys and gals, I am building my first higher end desktop and need some help. I have an aio setup in a sff case and I want to run intake on a front mount. The problem is that I do not have space at the front of the case to mount the fans, only internally. Meaning that my fans can only be in the exhaust position. I want to keep the rgb theme as well. Any suggestions?

Ps, mounting in front of the rad would leave a lot to be desired in the aesthetics department.

1565828032162626763446967469033.jpg

you could get new non rgb fans for the rad and then use the rgb fans as exhaust on the back and top of the case

You know you can just flip the fans around to make it an intake right....?

They don't need to face into the rad.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Not to mention replacing them with fans that are actually good.

Noctua fans, for instance.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

In my opinion, it is best for the radiator to receive fresh air from outside the case rather than using the radiator as an exhaust fan if possible. The cooler the air the radiator gets, the better it will perform. I have a 240 rad in the front of my case cooling my CPU and GPU, and it pulls air directly from the front of the case. IIRC my CPU and GPU temps dropped a little when I mounted my radiator in the front of the case so it receives cool air, but I don't remember for sure.

Some people will argue that you are dumping hot air into the case doing it this way, so that's just my personal preference. 

1 hour ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

you could get new non rgb fans for the rad and then use the rgb fans as exhaust on the back and top of the case

The problem here is that there is no top space for fans, only rear.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

They don't need to face into the rad.

Tried this and the lights look god awful.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not to mention replacing them with fans that are actually good.

Noctua fans, for instance.

Noctua rgb???

50 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

In my opinion, it is best for the radiator to receive fresh air from outside the case rather than using the radiator as an exhaust fan if possible. The cooler the air the radiator gets, the better it will perform. I have a 240 rad in the front of my case cooling my CPU and GPU, and it pulls air directly from the front of the case. IIRC my CPU and GPU temps dropped a little when I mounted my radiator in the front of the case so it receives cool air, but I don't remember for sure.

Some people will argue that you are dumping hot air into the case doing it this way, so that's just my personal preference. 

That was my point. I wanted to make sure that the rad fans where intake not exhaust. Problem is the RGB situation looks less than perfect.

P.S. first time on a forum of any kind. Just found out I can quote multiple people in one reply. sorry

P.P.S. I want to make sure that the RGB is a1 for resale value. 

The build is an I9 9900k, 2080 super founder's edition, enermax liqfusion 240 aio, corsair vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz dual 8gb ram (32gb total when finished), MSI mpg Z390m gaming edge ac, 970 Evo SSD 1tb, 970 Evo m.2 1 TB, and a corsair 850 gold PSU all in a metallic gear neo micro.

6 minutes ago, xxthatcrazyhoboxx said:

Noctua rgb???

That was my point. I wanted to make sure that the rad fans where intake not exhaust. Problem is the RGB situation looks less than perfect.

P.S. first time on a forum of any kind. Just found out I can quote multiple people in one reply. sorry

Noctua fans combined with Phanteks Lux RGB fan frames.

I've got one in my rig to give my rear exhaust fan some flair. I've been meaning to put a Lux frame on all of them, but since I now live on my own, money has become an issue.

I recommend the Noctua fans because, in my experience, any fan with built in RGB will probably not last very long, and will not perform as well. I get it, I like aesthetics too, but don't compromise performance for aesthetics. And no one has fans that perform as well or as long lasting as Noctua black frame fans. 

If you go that route, just make sure you get the pressure optimized version and NOT the airflow version (radiator fans, as opposed to simple case ventilation fans).

If you're just doing the two, it wouldn't be horribly expensive. While I'm looking at 9 fans (already have them) and another $20 (IIRC) per fan for making them RGB.

In my opinion, the Noctua fans look quite nice under the RGB frame. I've got the more expensive version of the RGB frames with more LED's packed more densely. I think they look good because there is absolutely no wobble to these fan blades. They're also quiet as hell, even though they're moving quite a lot of air.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Noctua fans combined with Phanteks Lux RGB fan frames.

I didn't know that there where RGB frames. Noctua is also on the list of "Need to get" for the full build. The problem I face is I can't find an intake specific fan for the rad. flipping only goes so far.

3 minutes ago, xxthatcrazyhoboxx said:

I didn't know that there where RGB frames. Noctua is also on the list of "Need to get" for the full build. The problem I face is I can't find an intake specific fan for the rad. flipping only goes so far.

Barring RGB, flipping any fan will work (functionally). Unless you're worried about what part of the fan you see (seeing the "front" of the fan as opposed to the rear.

Even with the Noctua fans you will see the rear, but just make sure they're aligned right and the same and it looks fine. Even if you're looking at the back side of the fan, you're still showing off "yeah, got some Noctua's on this bad boy".

And I would also point out, having the fans pull through the radiator is best, because it makes the radiator easier to clean. But that's just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Barring RGB, flipping any fan will work (functionally). Unless you're worried about what part of the fan you see (seeing the "front" of the fan as opposed to the rear.

Yall got them L I N K S brother? Would be much appreciated. ♥

13 minutes ago, xxthatcrazyhoboxx said:

Yall got them L I N K S brother? Would be much appreciated. ♥

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-FF120RGBA_BK01-Halos-density-mounting/dp/B074Q56LFS

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRATC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1Z19C3G7JFND0&keywords=noctua+ippc&qid=1565835551&s=electronics&sprefix=Noctua+ipp%2Celectronics%2C123&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRlRHWVJGSkpGM1dYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjA1OTI0NERNSEFIREIxMFNHJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMjE0ODIzNEZPTVU5N1dDNVQ0JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

High Static Pressure = radiator fans. They come in 120mm and 140mm. I like them because they can go super high and not make all that much noise. Also the IPPC rating means durability. They can operate easily in industrial environments if need be.

Noctua's that kind of company that has good customer service as well. I once needed replacement mounting hardware for a heatsink from them because I started out with an AMD cpu and switched over to Intel, but lost my Intel mounting hardware that came with the heatsink.

Couldn't find a place to buy the mount, so I emailed them. They sent me the mounting hardware for free, along with a small tube of their thermal paste, for free.