Help With Wireless USB Adapter

AndyG375

Need help with installing a TP-Link TL-WN823N.

Couldn't install the device properly. I already tried uninstalling the previous drivers, disabling my antivirus software, restarting the computer. When I install the device it says that the device was properly installed and the computer needed to restart, but upon restarting, the device cannot be detected and it say the device did not install correctly.

- I tried this with several USB adapters to no avail, and the program for the TP-Link USB WPS cannot be uninstalled now;

- It says 802.11n NIC was not properly installed(or something similar);

- My previous adapter(Pro-Link) worked fine for several years but suddenly stopped working and was extremely hot when I pulled it out of the rear USB port.

I am using Windows 7 64bit:

Intel Core i5-3330
MoBo - Gigabyte H61M-DS2 4.0
Memory - 8 GB

I looked at the device manager and these three devices had the yellow exclamation point:

- 802.11n NIC

- PCI Simple Communications Controller

- SM Bus Controller

Tried updating the drivers for these but windows could not find corresponding drivers. I suspect my problem may be related to these.

Any help short of a Windows reinstall would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, AndyG375 said:

Need help with installing a TP-Link TL-WN823N.

Couldn't install the device properly. I already tried uninstalling the previous drivers, disabling my antivirus software, restarting the computer. When I install the device it says that the device was properly installed and the computer needed to restart, but upon restarting, the device cannot be detected and it say the device did not install correctly.

- I tried this with several USB adapters to no avail, and the program for the TP-Link USB WPS cannot be uninstalled now;

- It says 802.11n NIC was not properly installed(or something similar);

- My previous adapter(Pro-Link) worked fine for several years but suddenly stopped working and was extremely hot when I pulled it out of the rear USB port.

I am using Windows 7 64bit:

Intel Core i5-3330
MoBo - Gigabyte H61M-DS2 4.0
Memory - 8 GB

I looked at the device manager and these three devices had the yellow exclamation point:

- 802.11n NIC

- PCI Simple Communications Controller

- SM Bus Controller

Tried updating the drivers for these but windows could not find corresponding drivers. I suspect my problem may be related to these.

Any help short of a Windows reinstall would be appreciated.

Go to Gigabytes website and get the drivers for that board. Seems like some motherboard drivers are missing. Then try installing the USB adapter. 

I think the items your your having an issue with are related to the chipset. Which controls the USB ports if I’m not mistaken. Which is why it’s not working. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I installed the chipset drivers from the Gigabyte website and only the 802.11n NIC device remains with the exclamation point.

So I uninstalled the 802.11n device from the device manager and then reinstalled the software. After the restart, it says device was not installed properly(again). I tried scanning for hardware changes from the device manager and it says the 802.11n device (still) has no driver. 

Edited by AndyG375
New developments.

10 hours ago, AndyG375 said:

I installed the chipset drivers from the Gigabyte website and only the 802.11n NIC device remains with the exclamation point.

So I uninstalled the 802.11n device from the device manager and then reinstalled the software. After the restart, it says device was not installed properly(again). I tried scanning for hardware changes from the device manager and it says the 802.11n device (still) has no driver. 

Can you try the adapter in another computer? Could be an issue with the adapter. I have real low expectations for USB WiFi adapters to begin with. 

I tried 3, two were brand new and worked on another computer. The computer does not recognize the device and lists it as "802.11c NIC" from the device manager even after installing the software from the product website. Is there some regedit voodoo to fix this? ?

26 minutes ago, AndyG375 said:

I tried 3, two were brand new and worked on another computer. The computer does not recognize the device and lists it as "802.11c NIC" from the device manager even after installing the software from the product website. Is there some regedit voodoo to fix this? ?

Nope. I don’t know if any. Have you tried a PCI express card yet?

Not yet; though I think my mobo doesn't have enough PCI slots. I'll try to find a different brand if I can.

I'm at my wit's end here and am seriously considering buying a new computer. Newer processors and mobos don't support Windows 7, do they?

8 hours ago, AndyG375 said:

Not yet; though I think my mobo doesn't have enough PCI slots. I'll try to find a different brand if I can.

I'm at my wit's end here and am seriously considering buying a new computer. Newer processors and mobos don't support Windows 7, do they?

Nope. Also Windows 7 looses support in January.

Can you lookup what kind of Chipset the use?

For mine I found driver from the original Vendor.

From AT. :x

Downloading files from the vendor (tp-link.com) didn't really help. Nor did the files from the included CD. It's probably on the hardware side. I downloaded some chipset files from the Gigabyte website and it removed most of the yellow exclamation points, but the USB wireless adapter is not being recognized and still comes up as an "802.11c NIC" device with the exclamation point.

Again... My TP Link one work the best with the Software from the Chipset Manufacture.

Which one is it?

Model is TP-Link Wireless N USB Adapter TL-WN823N

Internet say: RTL8192E Does it is a PCI-E card?

So I bought a D-Link Wireless N Nano USB adapter and it installed without any problems. Didn't even need to restart for it to work. I guess the problem was the TP-Link device. So I guess, problem solved?