Glass Tubing and my fittings

Hi,

Currently I have 16mm OD petg tubing (which I think is 12mm ID) and Thermaltake fittings. I want to go glass and have seen Mayhem's glass tubing which is 16mm OD 11mm ID. 

Will it work with my fittings? On hard tubing fittings, it's only the OD that really matters doesn't it?

Cheers

Matt

35 minutes ago, mattprince said:

Hi,

Currently I have 16mm OD petg tubing (which I think is 12mm ID) and Thermaltake fittings. I want to go glass and have seen Mayhem's glass tubing which is 16mm OD 11mm ID. 

Will it work with my fittings? On hard tubing fittings, it's only the OD that really matters doesn't it?

Cheers

Matt

Welcome to the Forums!

Which fittings from thermaltake do you have exactly, the regular hardline fittings only require that the OD be the same size but for the RGB type ones they rely on an interior seal so both the ID and OD matters. 

CL-W185-CU00BL-A_5da791dea51a4056bfba4eade7331549.jpg

Hi,

I have the Pacific C-Pro G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD Compression Fittings that are 16mm OD and 12mm ID. They aren't RGB or anything. 

Should be fine.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 minutes ago, mattprince said:

Hi,

I have the Pacific C-Pro G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD Compression Fittings that are 16mm OD and 12mm ID. They aren't RGB or anything. 

The C-Pro series are regular hardline fittings and will only require that the OD be the same diameter. 

Brilliant. Sounds good then. What fittings do I need to connect 2 pieces of glass together (to do a 90 degree bend for instance)?

3 hours ago, mattprince said:

Brilliant. Sounds good then. What fittings do I need to connect 2 pieces of glass together (to do a 90 degree bend for instance)?

You would require a double compression fitting such as this from thermaltake:

https://www.ttpremium.com/product/pacific-g14-petg-tube-90-degree-compression-16mm-od-chrome-2/

Just remember that after cutting the glass tubes to length you will need to de-burr and chamber any sharp edges as it can damage the orings during installation, same as working with plastic tubing.

Cheers for that. Will put up a build when I rebuild it. It's in a Tower 900 case with 7920x, Asus Rampage VI Extreme, 2070 Super :)

I would avoid cutting the glass tubes unless you know what your getting into. And get a fine diamond file to clean up the surface.

And it's not like plastic.  Do not use a deburing tool for plastic on glass. It's just going to chip and cause damage to the tube.  You want a fine diamond file for it. 

I used this tool for the cutting (the same as Jayztwocents):

https://www.amazon.de/Glasrohrschneider-Zinklegierung-Reagenzglas-Rohrschneider-Durchmesser/dp/B07JMY7DQ8/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=glasschneider+rohr&qid=1565653589&s=gateway&sr=8-3

and for small length adjustements and deburring I used a diamond cutting wheel for the dremel. It's easy to work with, but I build every tube with petg first, also beware of the glass dust.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D,  RAM: 64 GB Gskill Trident Z DDR5 @6200 Cl32, GPU: Asus RTX 4090 Strix OC, Pump: 2 Aquacomputer D5 Next @ 60% (~160 l/h), Radiators: 2 Mo-Ra3 360 and 1 XSPC  RX360V3 with 21 fans @650 RPM.

1 hour ago, B4Quattro said:

I used this tool for the cutting (the same as Jayztwocents):

https://www.amazon.de/Glasrohrschneider-Zinklegierung-Reagenzglas-Rohrschneider-Durchmesser/dp/B07JMY7DQ8/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=glasschneider+rohr&qid=1565653589&s=gateway&sr=8-3

and for small length adjustements and deburring I used a diamond cutting wheel for the dremel. It's easy to work with, but I build every tube with petg first, also beware of the glass dust.

Yes. Glass dust will seriously mess up your lungs.  Wear a mask.  And wear gloves. It's not fun to have a tiny alive of glass in your finger then break when you try to take it out.  I just wear nice nytral gloves they use for doing oil changes. 

Just take your time with glass. Plastic is extremely forgiving. Glass is not.  But it's not hard as long as you have the right tools and take your time. 

Why would you want to switch to glass?  I am curious?  I mean I know why I guess, but just doesnt seem worth it.  My next build I wanna do copper tubing.

23 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

Why would you want to switch to glass?  I am curious?  I mean I know why I guess, but just doesnt seem worth it.  My next build I wanna do copper tubing.

Nice and clear. No leaching plasticizers, no staining. 

46 minutes ago, bignaz said:

Nice and clear. No leaching plasticizers, no staining. 

Ya thats what I would have guessed.  Dont get me wrong glass def looks better, but I just dont want the hassle.  Look forward to seeing the end results!  Hope everything goes well for you!

12 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

Ya thats what I would have guessed.  Dont get me wrong glass def looks better, but I just dont want the hassle.  Look forward to seeing the end results!  Hope everything goes well for you!

Yeah I did it one time and went back to soft tube.  My falure was my fault. I rushed and I nicked the glass "scratch with the curret" scratch in glass like that is a falure point. Few thermal cycles later tube cracked. I'm lucky it was one of the ones going out to my pump because I mount my res and pumps behind my case because I tend to swap parts out a lot and it makes things easyer. But before I could hit the power button those 2 D5 drained the loop.. you don't realize how much water they can move till you blow a line lol. Thing was like a fire hose spraying my wall.  I'm extremely lucky it was that line and not one in the case. 

But it was my fault. I rushed and slipped. I knew I needed to replace that or it would fail but I used it anyways. Could of been an extremely expensive lesson.

So now I go soft tube like back in the day. 1/2x3/4. I love the look of nice meaty hoses in the case. I can pull the loop out then put it back in without draining.  I'll never go back to hard tube. If done right soft tube can look just as good as hard tube but if I do it again it will be a hybrid loop. Some PETG tube and some soft tube. Good ballance between looks and ease of maintenance.

I want glass because it's the most clear, doesn't stain as easy and we'll it's cool lol

11 hours ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

For the same reason i recommend glass reservoirs. Doesnt stain, doesnt leach, scratch resistant, durable (unless u outright drop it onto a hard floor), clearer, and just looks better.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |