What GPU should I get?

Phantonex

I currently have an i7-6700, GTX 1060 3gb, 16 gb of ram, H170-PRO. Which GPU should I upgrade to? Also, my 1060 only has one fan, whereas the ones in the images on Google images have two. So would a newer GPU fit in my PC? I don't know much about computers and I have a prebuilt so idk

What are you planning to use it for? Gaming?

At what resolution and refresh rate?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

7 minutes ago, Phantonex said:

Just check what your power supply is, if it's decent grab an RX 5700 custom card, $350, coming out august 15th or 16th maybe.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Phantonex said:

I currently have an i7-6700, GTX 1060 3gb, 16 gb of ram, H170-PRO. Which GPU should I upgrade to? Also, my 1060 only has one fan, whereas the ones in the images on Google images have two. So would a newer GPU fit in my PC? I don't know much about computers and I have a prebuilt so idk

Which video card you have ?  Also if that 6700 is not the K version then that will cause a future bottleneck.  What case do you have ?  Take a pic of it and let us make sure a longer card would fit fine.  As far as what to upgrade to that depends on what resolution you play at and what games you play and what settings.  I would off the bat say grab a RX 590 for best price for performance and it will go well with your CPU and there will be no bottleneck and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

6 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Which video card you have ?  Also if that 6700 is not the K version then that will cause a future bottleneck.  I would off the bat say grab a RX 590 for best price for performance and it will go well with your CPU and there will be no bottleneck and what not.

Are you absolutely lost or just trolling ? Read the post before spamming some useless reply.

@op, Ignore the.. ignorance above..
 like others say, the answer depends on what you will actually do with it (monitor resolution, video editing ? gaming ? (what games ?))

you already own a very capable GPU, Unless you truly have a need for upgrade you should be fine for most things.
You should definitely be able to fit most GPUs in your case nowadays, unless you have the tiniest of tiny cases. 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

5 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Which video card you have ?  Also if that 6700 is not the K version then that will cause a future bottleneck.  What case do you have ?  Take a pic of it and let us make sure a longer card would fit fine.  As far as what to upgrade to that depends on what resolution you play at and what games you play and what settings.  I would off the bat say grab a RX 590 for best price for performance and it will go well with your CPU and there will be no bottleneck and what not.

14 minutes ago, Phantonex said:

GTX 1060 3gb

3 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

A 590 is an absolutely brain-dead recommendation when someone already has a 1060. Slowest card it'd make sense for OP to upgrade to is a 1070Ti or anything roughly as powerful.

I'm not going to solidly recommend anything though until the OP comes back with a bit more info on his system (as to what prebuilt it is) as well as what they intend on doing with it. You know, because I have a functioning brain.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

18 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What are you planning to use it for? Gaming?

At what resolution and refresh rate?

Gaming, 1080p, 144hz

16 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Are you absolutely lost or just trolling ? Read the post before spamming some useless reply.

@op, Ignore the.. ignorance above..
 like others say, the answer depends on what you will actually do with it (monitor resolution, video editing ? gaming ? (what games ?))

you already own a very capable GPU, Unless you truly have a need for upgrade you should be fine for most things.
You should definitely be able to fit most GPUs in your case nowadays, unless you have the tiniest of tiny cases. 

Gaming, 1080p, 144hz. Battlefield V, Black Ops 4, and Modern Warfare when that comes out. I have a big case I'm just wondering cause a lot of graphics cards have 2 or 3 fans and mine only has one. 

pc.jpg

2 minutes ago, Phantonex said:

Gaming, 1080p, 144hz. Battlefield V, Black Ops 4, and Modern Warfare when that comes out. I have a big case I'm just wondering cause a lot of graphics cards have 2 or 3 fans and mine only has one. 

Oh dude, you got nothing to worry about here
I don't think there's a gpu in the world that can make it to the front of that xD

You should be fine upgrading to a 1080, maybe 1080ti if ya got the money.
(Tho who knows, if ya want RTX go for it xD)

What is your PSU ? that might be the real slowdown here..

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

Oh dude, you got nothing to worry about here
I don't think there's a gpu in the world that can make it to the front of that xD

You should be fine upgrading to a 1080, maybe 1080ti if ya got the money.
(Tho who knows, if ya want RTX go for it xD)

What is your PSU ? that might be the real slowdown here..

Dumb question #3. Where is the PSU located?

3 minutes ago, Phantonex said:

Dumb question #3. Where is the PSU located?

Ya see the little shrowd on the bottom with the SSD on top ?
It's under that, you might be able to see from the back a parts number, or perhaps your box / product spec sheet (online ?) should have it

And don't worry, there's no such things as dumb questions !

Spoiler

well, unless you're going out of your way not to read people's answers / posts. but that's not you xD 

5 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Ya see the little shrowd on the bottom with the SSD on top ?
It's under that, you might be able to see from the back a parts number, or perhaps your box / product spec sheet (online ?) should have it

Are you referring to the screw I circled?

pcedited.jpg

Just now, Phantonex said:

Are you referring to the screw I circled?

Yes, that would be the SSD or Solid State Drive.
Under that you have what's called a PSU shroud (to "protect", or really just hide the power supply)
it's under that (should be some black box with a bunch of cables coming from it)

Did you buy it in a store or online ?
Can you find the prebuilt spec sheet ?

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

Yes, that would be the SSD or Solid State Drive.
Under that you have what's called a PSU shroud (to "protect", or really just hide the power supply)
it's under that (should be some black box with a bunch of cables coming from it)

Did you buy it in a store or online ?
Can you find the prebuilt spec sheet ?

I think it's this one, although I'm not 100% sure: https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Desktop-i7-6700-GeForce-1060-120GB/dp/B07R8WCMY8

If it isn't that one, would I have to unscrew the SSD? How do I access where the PSU is?

1 minute ago, Phantonex said:

I think it's this one, although I'm not 100% sure: https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Desktop-i7-6700-GeForce-1060-120GB/dp/B07R8WCMY8

If it isn't that one, would I have to unscrew the SSD? How do I access where the PSU is?

You'd have to shutdown your computer.

See, the issue is that you might just not be able to look at it.

You need to unscrew the 4 screws at the back (side where the plug goes in) and try to pull it out (Gently, remember, the cables are all connected)
The issue is that the cables are connected, AKA it might be too short to get any info..

I'll see what I can find from the link, it looks right.

4 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

You'd have to shutdown your computer.

See, the issue is that you might just not be able to look at it.

You need to unscrew the 4 screws at the back (side where the plug goes in) and try to pull it out (Gently, remember, the cables are all connected)
The issue is that the cables are connected, AKA it might be too short to get any info..

I'll see what I can find from the link, it looks right.

On the back of the PC, where the power plug goes in, there is a little sticker that says "115-230v, 50-60hz, 10a". Does this mean anything or should I go ahead and unscrew it.

25 minutes ago, Phantonex said:

On the back of the PC, where the power plug goes in, there is a little sticker that says "115-230v, 50-60hz, 10a". Does this mean anything or should I go ahead and unscrew it.

Don't bother, I found it !
It's a 500w Apex psu..

It's the bare minimum to run a gtx1070/1070ti/1080
If I were you, I'd think about upgrading both at once. 

You will also have to look at the PCIE power connectors, how many you have, and what type they are.

First, remove the side panel to acess the inside (turn off your computer first)
Then, Unplug the PSU cable (the only cable really) going into the graphics card.

Take a good look at it, heck here's a photo of what it looks like
Image result for 6pin psu

You need to see if you have any more cables like this, preferably you would have actual 8 pin power connectors (the one on the right, but without the detachable part) but that one is also fine.

This will determine what kind of GPU you can get without having to upgrade. if you look up a gpu and it requires a 6pin power connector, you're good. the 1060 3gb already uses that (so you have it)

But a 1070 typically requires a 8pin connector (so 6+2 or ? And the higher you go, the more they demand.

From looking at the spec sheet of the psu I found, you should have 2x 6pins.
Now, no need to worry ! as Amazon has you covered, with this nice
2x6 to 8 pin adapter cable

So in the end, you should be ok for something a bit better, but don't think you'll run a 2080 on that power supply.

I suggest, if you do upgrade, something along the lines of a 750-850w EVGA G2 or G3. they have iirc a 10 year warranty and are literal tanks. However there are cheaper, very capable options.

13 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Don't bother, I found it !
It's a 500w Apex psu..

It's the bare minimum to run a gtx1070/1080
If I were you, I'd think about upgrading both at once. 

You will also have to look at the PCIE power connectors, how many you have, and what type they are.

First, remove the side panel to acess the inside (turn off your computer first)
Then, Unplug the PSU cable (the only cable really) going into the graphics card.

Take a good look at it, heck here's a photo of what it looks like
Image result for 6pin psu

You need to see if you have any more cables like this, preferably you would have actual 8 pin power connectors (the one on the right, but without the detachable part) but that one is also fine.

This will determine what kind of GPU you can get without having to upgrade. if you look up a gpu and it requires a 6pin power connector, you're good. the 1060 3gb already uses that (so you have it)

But a 1070 typically requires a 8pin connector (so 6+2 or ? And the higher you go, the more they demand.

From looking at the spec sheet of the psu I found, you should have 2x 6pins.
Now, no need to worry ! as Amazon has you covered, with this nice
2x6 to 8 pin adapter cable

So in the end, you should be ok for something a bit better, but don't think you'll run a 2080 on that power supply.

I suggest, if you do upgrade, something along the lines of a 750-850w EVGA G2 or G3. they have iirc a 10 year warranty and are literal tanks. However there are cheaper, very capable options.

I'm trying to unplug the pcie cable to look at, but it can't get it out. I don't want to pull to hard, since this is my first time ever going inside my computer. I'm squeezing the lock thing on the bottom but I just can't get it to come out. 

1 minute ago, Phantonex said:

I'm trying to unplug the pcie cable to look at, but it can't get it out. I don't want to pull to hard, since this is my first time ever going inside my computer. I'm squeezing the lock thing on the bottom but I just can't get it to come out. 

Don't bother, you'll have to do it when you change the card.

You need to give it a tug (but I'd say push back on the card so not to potentially break the motherboard under it)

These things can be a bit tight xD 

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Don't bother, you'll have to do it when you change the card.

You need to give it a tug (but I'd say push back on the card so not to potentially break the motherboard under it)

These things can be a bit tight xD 

So do you not want me to unplug it? Also, there's only one pcie cable going into the gpu. Where is the second one that you were referring to? 

So do you not want me to unplug it? Also, there's only one pcie cable going into the gpu. Where is the second one that you were referring to? 

You don't need to, it was mostly for you to see what it looks like, but you saw the picture.

The second one would be hidden by the power supply (you see that hole next to the ssd ? there's a bunch of cables in there.. it's.. somewhere)

6 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

You don't need to, it was mostly for you to see what it looks like, but you saw the picture.

The second one would be hidden by the power supply (you see that hole next to the ssd ? there's a bunch of cables in there.. it's.. somewhere)

Thank you for your help. So which GPU and PSU should I get?

Thank you for your help. So which GPU and PSU should I get?

What's your budget ?

Do you want Ray Tracing ? (Bf5, probably MW..)

12 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

What's your budget ?

Do you want Ray Tracing ? (Bf5, probably MW..)

$400-500, don't need ray tracing, all though it would be nice if it fits the budget.