SSD TIER LIST

VEXICUS
23 hours ago, RevGAM said:

That Adata is significantly slower than the SN770, so I'm still not following you.  What are max stats for gen 3?

I said "it's near", in fact. The SN770 does less than 1000 MB/s post-SLC cache if you look at Tom's Hardware review. It's stil a good SSD, by the way. What's the price and the capacity? 

22 hours ago, Steeve2023 said:

Taking these changes into account, in which category would you put these two ssd?

I think that this tier list is based on performance and hardware, not endurance (although TBW doens't refer to the drive's endurance).

50 minutes ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

What's the price and the capacity? 

2TB. I think I paid $130.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

38 minutes ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

It's a good price, IMHO. 

I agree. A couple of days later, I think I saw it for $110. LOL!

Thanks!

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

Hi, I'm looking at upgrading my partner to now have a SSD (I know, but they haven't used their PC that heavily but starting to and it was my old rig.) Really just wanting the OS and a few small games, like stardew valley, to be on it so imagine 120-250gb would be sufficient. Looking at around the £50-75 ($60-90) range. Any recommendations? I was going to go Samsung 850 as it's on sale on Amazon but remembered Jay's video recently. Is this still a good option or is there better in the price range?

8 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

This Crucial 2tb NVME Gen4 is a whopping %41 off today!

Reads and writes decent over the 980 EVO? 

Should I snatch this up for a primary ssd?

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Plus-PCIe-NAND-5000MB/dp/B0B25ML2FH/

spacer.png

It's a good buy. I'd go for it if I were you. Here's a comparison that might help.

But...The P5 is on B&H and Amazon for $10 more.

How's the Lexar NM710 2TB? I can get it for 120€, which isn't bad at all.

GPU 7900XTX CPU 5800X3D RAM 2x16GB DDR4 3600Hz CL18 PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 

Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitors 1440p 165Hz 27" (H) - 1080p 120Hz 24" (V) Audio DT770 Pro/Momentum TW2 

Laptop 2023 MacBook Pro 14" M2Pro Phones iPhone 13 Pro Max/Galaxy S20+/Galaxy S9+ Wearable Apple Watch Series 8

My full rig

On 3/22/2023 at 5:27 PM, Leyf said:

How's the Lexar NM710 2TB? I can get it for 120€, which isn't bad at all.

For that price is very good, even though the controller capabilities are limited. 

6 hours ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

For that price is very good, even though the controller capabilities are limited. 

Ended up getting a Crucial P3, no complaints so far 🙂

GPU 7900XTX CPU 5800X3D RAM 2x16GB DDR4 3600Hz CL18 PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 

Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitors 1440p 165Hz 27" (H) - 1080p 120Hz 24" (V) Audio DT770 Pro/Momentum TW2 

Laptop 2023 MacBook Pro 14" M2Pro Phones iPhone 13 Pro Max/Galaxy S20+/Galaxy S9+ Wearable Apple Watch Series 8

My full rig

Guys quick question: Samsung 980 Pro or Seagate Firecuda 530? Same price, same size (1TB for 100€).

I come from a Samsung sata SSD, I liked the utilities. By name I'd pick the Samsung but if the Firecuda is hands down just better I'll get that instead. I have an AMD 3700x on x570 mobo.

If it's the wrong thread sorry for the bother.
Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Sbeeer said:

Guys quick question: Samsung 980 Pro or Seagate Firecuda 530? Same price, same size (1TB).

I come from a Samsung sata SSD, I liked the utilities. By name I'd pick the Samsung but if the Firecuda is hands down just better I'll get that instead. I have an AMD 3700x on x570 mobo.

If it's the wrong thread sorry for the bother.
Thanks.

https://nascompares.com/seagate-firecuda-530-vs-samsung-980-pro-pcie4-m-2-ssd-comparison/

In overall terms, the 530 is better but the 980 is no slouch and as long as the firmware version isn't the one that corrupts it, the 980 is, for the average user, the better buy. Read the article. I think either is a good choice, although I choked on the 4TB 530's price!

On 3/28/2023 at 11:38 PM, RevGAM said:

Read the article. I think either is a good choice, although I choked on the 4TB 530's price!

The article you linked doesn't show any teardown and/or performance test, it just say technical specifications, so I would not consider it. I prefer good reviews like Tom's Hardware ones. That said, the FireCuda 530 is better than the 980 PRO IMHO, both as hardware and performance. The FireCuda 530 have better flash and this leads to higher sequential and random performances.  

1 hour ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

The article you linked doesn't show any teardown and/or performance test, it just say technical specifications, so I would not consider it. I prefer good reviews like Tom's Hardware ones. That said, the FireCuda 530 is better than the 980 PRO IMHO, both as hardware and performance. The FireCuda 530 have better flash and this leads to higher sequential and random performances.  

True. Keep in mind that sequential results are not very valuable because IRL that usually doesn't happen. 

23 hours ago, RevGAM said:

True. Keep in mind that sequential results are not very valuable because IRL that usually doesn't happen. 

It depends, because if you do a file transfer you will notice the sequential write speed as you are writing on the SLC cache. 

1 minute ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

It depends, because if you do a file transfer you will notice the sequential write speed as you are writing on the SLC cache. 

Agreed. But most people who are gamers aren't doing that, and many others don't do transfers much aside from creators and so on. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I am looking for a good 2TB drive for the MSI GP76 laptop. The laptop itself heats up, so it's best not to heat the drive too much. Its speed does not have to be extreme either, because it will increase the temperature. I was thinking about the Crucial P5 plus. Will it be a good choice for a heating laptop or look for something else?

Hi,i have a somewhat old pc(i5 8400 with rogstrix b360) and i would like to ditch  my noisy hdd ,i have a 250GB samsung 970evo for boot drive,so a second drive would be needed to store all my games and i dont think it would need that much high speed so i decided to go with klevv cras c700rgb,my three important things that i want from a ssd is: 1-high Tbw 2-have a dram 3-as cheap as possible

So my question is:does klevv cras c700 rgb 960gb got a dram? I've searched everywhere and didn't find anything except one site:

https://www.hardware-corner.net/ssd-database/KLEVV-CRAS-C700-RGB/

This site says klevv cras c700 rgb dose have a dram

And found the review of this ssd on toms hardware,in their site on the Specification list says it has ddr3 as a dram for cache,but everywhere else found no information, please help

I live in one of the worst countries in the world so most of the ssds aren't available here,but if you have any recommendation it will be greatly appreciated

27 minutes ago, Nousername11 said:

anyone have review about Klevv Cras C730 ? https://www.klevv.com/ken/products_details/ssd/Klevv_Cras_C730

i want to buy this ssd cause price bellow C720, but i cannot find any review for this one

I'm not familiar with the brand. This is a Gen 3 SSD, and it has DRAM cache, but no NVMe. The read/write data presented is based on a 2 TB model, which will have better performance than a smaller one, especially 512 GB. It has faster sequential read and slower sequential write than the Crucial P5, which is good, although Crucial didn't provide random R/W results. Overall, it seems like a decent product that may well be worth the money. Since it isn't on the SSD Tiers list here, and what is on the list from Klevv varies in quality, it's really hard to say. If it's using a Phison controller with a higher number (e.g. E18, 26), then it's probably near the top of the list, otherwise...You can look at the list and see what other products have the same controller and where they are on the list to give you a basic idea of that aspect.

On 4/29/2023 at 5:09 PM, RevGAM said:

I'm not familiar with the brand. This is a Gen 3 SSD, and it has DRAM cache, but no NVMe. The read/write data presented is based on a 2 TB model, which will have better performance than a smaller one, especially 512 GB. It has faster sequential read and slower sequential write than the Crucial P5, which is good, although Crucial didn't provide random R/W results. Overall, it seems like a decent product that may well be worth the money. Since it isn't on the SSD Tiers list here, and what is on the list from Klevv varies in quality, it's really hard to say. If it's using a Phison controller with a higher number (e.g. E18, 26), then it's probably near the top of the list, otherwise...You can look at the list and see what other products have the same controller and where they are on the list to give you a basic idea of that aspect.

if see from contoller Cras C730 use Realtek RTS5762 same as Adata on tier C, while C720 use Phison E12s on tier D

well maybe i buy this one, combine with heatsink be quiet! MC1 Pro

what are the odds there are similar tier lists for MOBOs and RAM?? Working on building PC 2.0

On 2/9/2023 at 6:34 PM, penguino said:

Patriot P220 is not a mid-end SATA drive, nor it has Phison S12 controller. It's a budget product with a cheap DRAM-less Maxio controller (Maxio MAS1102B) and chinese YMTC memory chips (128-layer TLC):

Or QLC:

Drive: 0(ATA)
Model: Patriot P220 512GB                      
Fw   : 030fAA20
Size : 488386 MB [512.1 GB]
From smart : [22] []
Firmware id string[2D0]: HKSSD_100006000086810121,May 27 2022,09:24:17,MA1102,HS8SC#2H
Project id string[280] : f:/Project/SSD/V300_HUS/code/baseline_220527
Controller             : MAS1102
NAND string            : YMN0WQC1B1AC6C
NAND MaxPE cycles      : 1000
Ch0CE0: 0x9b,0xd5,0x58,0x8d,0x20,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv3-128L QLC 16k 1.33Tb/CE 1.33Tb/die
Ch1CE0: 0x9b,0xd5,0x58,0x8d,0x20,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv3-128L QLC 16k 1.33Tb/CE 1.33Tb/die
Ch4CE0: 0x9b,0xd5,0x58,0x8d,0x20,0x0,0x0 - YMTC 3dv3-128L QLC 16k 1.33Tb/CE 1.33Tb/die

Patriot P220 is probably a rebranded chinese Hikvision V300.

Adata Legend 800 2tb

Kingston NV2 2tb

Lexar NM620 2tb

Intel 670p 2tb

All of them are around ~85euro.

The first 3 of them were TLC in the beginning, but it seems that manufacturers did a sneaky downgrade to QLC (at least according to the forums,reddit and reviews).

The main use will be storage and maybe some games installed, but mostly storage, for Windows i use Samsung 970 EVO Plus and for games i use Kingston A2000.

I am mostly concerned with their durability/reliability, not speed, they are already plenty fast.

Which one of those would you buy?
I cant use Amazon as its not available in my country and the market in my country has usually these 4 available from the entry class and maybe some Patriot models P3,P5 etc...

For the same price with heatsink should I go for kc3000 or Adata Legend 960 max?

According to this test the Adata is slightly better and more efficient.

https://aphnetworks.com/reviews/adata-legend-960-1tb/2