Noisy fan bearing, PC shutdown after a while

pwh123
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
6 hours ago, pwh123 said:

I can't find out which fan is/was loud as it's not loud anymore (bearing gave up maybe) or it doesn't have the chance to be loud because the PC shuts down before it would get noisy. 

That's most likely dying PSU, if you don't have any other symptoms (loading issues, sluggishness etc.).

Again, I can't moniter the fans while one of them is loud, unfortunately.

Why not? This would mean running stress test or benchmark. Which are usually windowed anyway. Those would also be good way of pinpointing when shutdown happens (under load vs random).

Hello,

in the past month I had a loud fan bearing, it was pretty random when it would start and stop being loud, in the last few days the loud noise would only start few hours after I turn on the system (it doesn't make difference if the PC idles or being used on 90%) and would be noisy for ~6 hours but weirdly, sometimes it goes silent for a few minutes. Last night I was watching a movie, I could hear the fan switching from noisy to quiet quickly, like the bearing catches the right pace (or I don't know how to say it in english) so it would be quiet. Then after an hour of sweet silence the PC shut down. I couldn't turn it on right after it shut down, so I was kind of sure it was overheating, because it was the same behavior when my GPU overheated on demanding games. I waited some time and turned it on again, and after a few minutes it turned off again. I called it a day and finished the movie on my phone. This morning I turned my PC on, it was doing fine for 1-2 hours, the fan was not noisy at all, then the PC shut down again, right after I plugged my usb headset, for a moment I though it was short circuit, but it was just a weird timing, because when I turned the PC on again with only power connected, it turned off in a few minutes.

In that 1-2 hours I downloaded hwmonitor, all the fans I could check were working, except for the GPU fan that would only start at 60°C, but that's normal. Temperatures were fine during the whole time. I couldn't see the PSU fan in the program, so I checked it myself, it was woking too.

I don't know which fan was being loud, I suspect the PSU, but I can't know that, because there are many fans in the case.

Also, I can't hear the bearing anymore, but I don't know if it's because the PC shut downs before it could start, or it's because the bearing gave up.

I think the PSU is overheating, because I can't see its temperature while everything else in the PC was normal temperature-wise, but I'm not sure and I don't want to spend money on a better quality PSU just to have it turn out it wasn't the PSU which caused the problem.

Some help/advice would be appreciated.

edit: the problem was indeed the PSU, works fine since replacement

12 minutes ago, pwh123 said:

Hello,

in the past month I had a loud fan bearing, it was pretty random when it would start and stop being loud, in the last few days the loud noise would only start few hours after I turn on the system (it doesn't make difference if the PC idles or being used on 90%) and would be noisy for ~6 hours but weirdly, sometimes it goes silent for a few minutes. Last night I was watching a movie, I could hear the fan switching from noisy to quiet quickly, like the bearing catches the right pace (or I don't know how to say it in english) so it would be quiet. Then after an hour of sweet silence the PC shut down. I couldn't turn it on right after it shut down, so I was kind of sure it was overheating, because it was the same behavior when my GPU overheated on demanding games. I waited some time and turned it on again, and after a few minutes it turned off again. I called it a day and finished the movie on my phone. This morning I turned my PC on, it was doing fine for 1-2 hours, the fan was not noisy at all, then the PC shut down again, right after I plugged my usb headset, for a moment I though it was short circuit, but it was just a weird timing, because when I turned the PC on again with only power connected, it turned off in a few minutes.

In that 1-2 hours I downloaded hwmonitor, all the fans I could check were working, except for the GPU fan that would only start at 60°C, but that's normal. Temperatures were fine during the whole time. I couldn't see the PSU fan in the program, so I checked it myself, it was woking too.

I don't know which fan was being loud, I suspect the PSU, but I can't know that, because there are many fans in the case.

Also, I can't hear the bearing anymore, but I don't know if it's because the PC shut downs before it could start, or it's because the bearing gave up.

I think the PSU is overheating, because I can't see its temperature while everything else in the PC was normal temperature-wise, but I'm not sure and I don't want to spend money on a better quality PSU just to have it turn out it wasn't the PSU which caused the problem.

Some help/advice would be appreciated.

Is there a way you can stop all your fans so you can just hear the PSU, Of course do this temporary just to see whats up and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Order of business here:

1. List your specs, mainly what fans, what case, what mobo and what PSU.
  2. Find out which fan is being loud, where its connected (if casefan) and if you can reproduce issue.
  3. Monitor fan speeds during the time when its loud. Are other fans spinning up in same way or not.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Is there a way you can stop all your fans so you can just hear the PSU, Of course do this temporary just to see whats up and what not.

I could do that, but not for a few days as I'm busy and I'm not in reach of my PC, but I can reply here.

Also, why would that be useful? The noisy fan bearing is not an issue anymore, or simply the PC shuts down before it would get a chance to be noisy, because in the last few days it took a few hours for the PC to get noisy.

But as I was taking a closer look at the PSU the fan was spinning normally, wtihout any loud noise.

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Order of business here:

1. List your specs, mainly what fans, what case, what mobo and what PSU.
  2. Find out which fan is being loud, where its connected (if casefan) and if you can reproduce issue.
  3. Monitor fan speeds during the time when its loud. Are other fans spinning up in same way or not.

My issue should be unrelated to my problem, but there it is:

GA-78LMT-S2P rev. 5.x

FX-6300

2x4 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Cooler Master N200 case

Cooler Master Silent Pro 500w

GTX 1050ti

Deepcool gammaxx 200T cpu cooler

The other fans in my PC case are the default that came with the case, I'm not sure what brand they are.

I can't find out which fan is/was loud as it's not loud anymore (bearing gave up maybe) or it doesn't have the chance to be loud because the PC shuts down before it would get noisy. 

That's most likely dying PSU, if you don't have any other symptoms (loading issues, sluggishness etc.).

Why not? This would mean running stress test or benchmark. Which are usually windowed anyway. Those would also be good way of pinpointing when shutdown happens (under load vs random).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

The noise is not present anymore, regardless idle/load, I tried both CPU and GPU stress tests. Then again, the noise might still be there, it just simply shuts down before the noise would begin.

I thought it was the PSU, I just wasn't sure, and I didn't want to follow my guess, I'd rather make it sure with someone who has experience.