REQUEST: Capture device suggestion for Wii U

I'm planning on buying a Wii U so I can play the backlog off Wii and Wii U games then I haven't had the chance when I was younger (also GameCube).

I would also like the option to take screenshots from inside the games while I'm playing.

I know that there's some weird way through sharing it through some social media sites. But that's really slow, and you have to leave the game for every screenshot you wan't to take.

I found a device on amazon that looks to have the functionality that I'm interested in, but I wanted to ask here first. Maybe you guys know a better/cheaper way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZWVSLW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_r4-sDbVFHS0PW

What I need it to be able to do:

+Possibility to take a screenshot 

+And a button to trigger this from couch distance

+As cheap as possible

-I'm not interested in capturing video and taking screenshots afterwards on my PC (I could do the same thing from youtube let's plays, but I don't wan't to waste my time with that).

Any HDMI capture card will do fine honestly. I'd personally go for a name brand like ElGato or Avermedia.

Also a heads-up on Gamecube games: you'll need to homebrew the vWii in the WiiU and install Nintendon't and then feed it gamecube ISO files, the DVD drive won't accept gamecube discs. I use mine this way and it works like a charm.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Any HDMI capture card will do fine honestly. I'd personally go for a name brand like ElGato or Avermedia.

But none of them have an option to take a screenshot on the fly, from what I can tell.

Frankly, any half decent capture card can do it just fine. Not sure how that'll work out but it should be alright. Just make sure it can output at the resolution (and frame rate) you want, which might be 720p in this case.

On 8/8/2019 at 5:18 AM, Wavorly said:

But none of them have an option to take a screenshot on the fly, from what I can tell.

There's recording and streaming software that enables you to capture screenshots on the fly. That and, if you aren't too bothered by it, you could always use OBS Studio in full-screen (without any need to record) and Ctrl+Print Screen that specific frame into Windows' screenshot folder.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.