Whats the difference???

Canon EOS 200D Kit (18-55 IS STM) and Canon EOS 200D Kit (EF-S 18-55mm III)

14 hours ago, ManosMax13 said:

Canon EOS 200D Kit (18-55 IS STM) and Canon EOS 200D Kit (EF-S 18-55mm III)

The EF-S 18-55 III is a very cheap, all plastic lens. It is not available separately (unless white box) and only sold as part of a kit. Honestly, if you are thinking of buying one go STM if you want to do video or USM if you are a stills shooter (The 18-55 III is neither and just has a cheap motor drive for AF). STM is great for video as it is quiet and provides smooth transitions. It is fly by wire so if manual focus is used the motor still has to be driven. USM is better suited to stills but can be used for video too. It is more reliable than STM but if using a mic close to the lens the noise, while very quite, can be picked up. It is also not as smooth in transitions but not poor by any means. USM will also focus faster. USM motors are more costly than STM so tend to be found in higher quality lenses.

As already mentioned, IS is included on the STM variant and is very useful. There is also an 18-55 IS II which is the same lens as the III but with IS added. I would also avoid this.

6 hours ago, Phill104 said:

USM motors are more costly than STM so tend to be found in higher quality lenses.

The USM in all the 18-55 variants is micro USM. This is not in the same class as the ring type USM found in L lenses. Ring type USM is quieter, faster and has full time manual, which micro USM does not.

If given the choice between micro USM and STM, I would pick STM every time.

1 hour ago, badreg said:

The USM in all the 18-55 variants is micro USM. This is not in the same class as the ring type USM found in L lenses. Ring type USM is quieter, faster and has full time manual, which micro USM does not.

If given the choice between micro USM and STM, I would pick STM every time.

Totally agree, I was more referring to ring USM in general and the many lenses in a similar range that use it, plenty. I probably should have made that more clear. It was just some info on what is available for the OP and why that III should be avoided if possible.

I have an 18-55 III on my desk as we speak. A friend asked me to have a look at it a few months back as the AF kept slipping. I dismantled it and saw just how cack it was. With the damage it had it was IMO not worth repairing. I had in my drawer an EF-S 17-85 IS USM that I cannot even remember where I got it from, so I gave him that. He was dead chuffed and it is still working today. A little soft at the wide end when pixel peeping but pretty good at the long end.