Can a new CPU damage an SSD?

Fasauceome

Upgraded my brother to a 7700, tested it out and it worked perfectly. Swapped back in the 6600 to see if it worked because I got a smudge on it, it worked. Swapped back in the 7700, no longer can boot to windows. On top of that, my USB 3.0 to SATA tester can't detect it. How did this drive just die?

edit: I found it also makes a little whine noise when it's plugged in

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Upgraded my brother to a 7700, tested it out and it worked perfectly. Swapped back in the 6600 to see if it worked because I got a smudge on it, it worked. Swapped back in the 7700, no longer can boot to windows. On top of that, my USB 3.0 to SATA tester can't detect it. How did this drive just die?

I have no idea how u have done that xD maybe some static left in the system or some stuff like that 

WAIT u where the guy that put thermal paste in the socket JESUS what are u doing xDDDD stop breaking stuff 

1 minute ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

WAIT u where the guy that put thermal paste in the socket JESUS what are u doing xDDDD stop breaking stuff 

I'd like to point out that I did in fact get it working after that, so hey at least one thing broken at a time

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

I'd like to point out that I did in fact get it working after that, so hey at least one thing broken at a time

Hahahahahaah god i love u haha ur like me so fking unlucky xDDD 

3 minutes ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

Windows 10 sometimes doesn't like you swapping parts. Maybe a reformat is needed

only thing is that it isn't recognized by anything, it's not in the motherboard BIOS and I can't access it over USB so the drive itself can't be detected by a windows installer

Primary PC:

24 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Not really, no. The CPU used shouldn't affect an SSD at all.

It's possible you got unlucky and something got zapped in a way that killed the drive. Maybe unplug it, let it sit for 30 mins so it can think about what it has done, then try again?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

12 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

17 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I did actually make progress, the SSD now can boot but now I get error 0xc0000098, saying it doesn't contain valid info for an OS.

Primary PC:

27 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I did actually make progress, the SSD now can boot but now I get error 0xc0000098, saying it doesn't contain valid info for an OS.

Try booting to a windows install disk and then try repairing the SSD's Windows installation.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

is the hdd an SSD or a mechanical drive?

just an fyi mechanical drives are less forgiving to g forces, and will fail if for example you move the case while the computer is running. 

1 minute ago, tech.guru said:

is the hdd an SSD or a mechanical drive?

just an fyi mechanical drives are less forgiving to g forces, and will fail if for example you move the case while the computer is running. 

the hard drive is fine, it's the SSD that's acting up.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

the hard drive is fine, it's the SSD that's acting up.

start with basics,

try a different sata cable and connector on motherboard

try a different sata power connector from powersupply

Just now, tech.guru said:

start with basics,

try a different sata cable and connector on motherboard

try a different sata power connector from powersupply

tried a different PC, can't access the data

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

tried a different PC, can't access the data

the only thing i can think of is power related when you replaced the processor. the ssd is obviously dead.

7 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

you didnt plug power into the drive while the computer was running did you?

I didn't but it shouldn't matter, as storage devices are hot swappable and can be plugged in or unplugged at will. At the moment it's reading as a corrupted drive, so I'll have to see what's possible to salvage it. The windows installer can see it but nothing else. Any suggestions?

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I didn't but it shouldn't matter, as storage devices are hot swappable and can be plugged in or unplugged at will. At the moment it's reading as a corrupted drive, so I'll have to see what's possible to salvage it. The windows installer can see it but nothing else. Any suggestions?

you can use testdisk to see what you can salvage. yes sata drives are hot swappable but its still far safer to replace drives with power off and only if you are using a Serial ATA power connection not a molex connector

dump the entire disk using test disk to a bigger drive. you can than try and get data out afterwards.

when a drive is failing you should try and get a copy of all the data you can before it completely fails.

Just now, tech.guru said:

when a drive is failing you should try and get a copy of all the data you can before it completely fails

fortunately there's no critical data on the drive, it's all cloud saved. The hassle will be reinstalling the whole game library and such, and I also need to make sure whatever I was doing didn't cause the damage.

Primary PC: