my intel core i7 6700...

has Intel® HD Graphics 530 integrated graphics built into it.. I have a gtx960ssc.. Since I have the gpu.. Is the integrated graphics card just literally turned off for proper operating protocol. or do they play off each other? shared system memory? or something.. thanks.

3 minutes ago, nelska said:

has Intel® HD Graphics 530 integrated graphics built into it.. I have a gtx960ssc.. Since I have the gpu.. Is the integrated graphics card just literally turned off for proper operating protocol. or do they play off each other? shared system memory? or something.. thanks.

If u have a real gpu in there they should be disabled 

if you have the display plugged into the motherboard, then you are only using the integrated graphics, if you have it plugged into the gpu, then it isn't off per say but it won;t be doing anything

Unless you have it specifically set to be on within the motherboard bios, it's off by default whenever you have a dGPU plugged in.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

Unless you have it specifically set to be on within the motherboard bios, it's off by default whenever you have a dGPU plugged in.

thanks all this spawned from a youtube video..

You can fully disable integrated graphics in your BIOS if you have a dedicated GPU, however, it is possible to use integrated graphics alongside your dedicated GPU (I did this a few years ago with my 4790k). Already had a triple monitor setup but if I had friends over I'd hook up a TV to the iGPU for playing episodes of The Office. Good times man.. good times..

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

1 minute ago, BigDamn said:

You can fully disable integrated graphics in your BIOS if you have a dedicated GPU, however, it is possible to use integrated graphics alongside your dedicated GPU (I did this a few years ago with my 4790k). Already had a triple monitor setup but if I had friends over I'd hook up a TV to the iGPU for playing episodes of The Office. Good times man.. good times..

This is what I'm wondering.. would it lower my fps ingame? or bottleneck the cpu? Im sure it would effect cpu usage? correct?

Just now, nelska said:

This is what I'm wondering.. would it lower my fps ingame? or bottleneck the cpu? Im sure it would effect cpu usage? correct?

The part of the CPU that perform computational tasks is separate from that of which does graphical tasks so you won't see a decrease in performance. Using the iGPU will increase heat output, however, so if you don't have sufficient cooling you could experience thermal throttling.

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Just now, BigDamn said:

The part of the CPU that perform computational tasks is separate from that of which does graphical tasks so you won't see a decrease in performance. Using the iGPU will increase heat output, however, so if you don't have sufficient cooling you could experience thermal throttling.

but... that's literally it? There's an entire graphics card in my pc that just.. isn't being utilized.. lol. i mean cpu usage will go up because I'll be running more programs. but besides that lil bit of everyday cpu usage the gpu will be running full speed at the same time as i can browse fb on another monitor.. do i just plug and play or do i have to bios enable it.. probably depends on my pc. thanks

3 minutes ago, nelska said:

but... that's literally it? There's an entire graphics card in my pc that just.. isn't being utilized.. lol. i mean cpu usage will go up because I'll be running more programs. but besides that lil bit of everyday cpu usage the gpu will be running full speed at the same time as i can browse fb on another monitor.. do i just plug and play or do i have to bios enable it.. probably depends on my pc. thanks

Should be able to plug and play so long as the iGPU is enabled in the BIOS (should be enabled by default).

PC #1

PC #2

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

4 minutes ago, nelska said:

thanks.

When using the igpu for a second monitor, wdm (windows desktop manager) will use some of your cpu and main gpu to process existence. Yeah, idk why either. When anything is active, like say a video on the second monitor, usage will raise on the main gpu and cpu.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Just now, Ashiella said:

When using the igpu for a second monitor, wdm (windows desktop manager) will use some of your cpu and main gpu to process existence. Yeah, idk why either. When anything is active, like say a video on the second monitor, usage will raise on the main gpu and cpu.

yeh, I figured the cpu would go up but i think the graphics on each monitor would stick to each card... thus giving me a graphics boost on both ends. because the integrated ones plenty fine for running youtube ect... but i  would have two graphics drivers installed and running.