Hi!

I have a PC with a 24" monitor, but for collage I have to buy a laptop. I would like to get a xps 15, but the xps 13 is cheaper, and I would like to know, is if 13" is doable (after 25"), or I will have struggles with it.

Thank you for your help!

Depends on what you do. As some that typically wants to have multiple programs open next to each other, I think 15" is still pretty small. But it's a laptop, so you naturally sit closer to it anyways.

Best would be to walk into some store and open up some programs in the display units and see how it looks to you personally.

It's worth considering a 13" is quite a bit easier to take with you as well, which might be worth something. It also gives you more space in a college desk.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You have to judge for yourself - if you can't go to a store and check out some machines there, find some paper and cardboard and make cut-outs in the proper size and try to compare. Keep in mind you'll likely be using scaling as well.

As a final note, avoid the XPS series - if you're not planning on gaming, get a business laptop - Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell Latitude and HP EliteBook - far far better quality, durability and reliability.

15 minutes ago, ThePirateHunter said:

Hi!

I have a PC with a 24" monitor, but for collage I have to buy a laptop. I would like to get a xps 15, but the xps 13 is cheaper, and I would like to know, is if 13" is doable (after 25"), or I will have struggles with it.

Thank you for your help!

What do you need the laptop for?

Since you may find a better deal by going with a cheaper laptop (such as Dell's Vostro 3000 series), or if you want something more powerful, one of the choices made by @5x5.

Just now, moriel5 said:

Since you may find a better deal by going with a cheaper laptop (such as Dell's Vostro 3000 series), or if you want something more powerful, one of the choices made by @5x5.

Yes, Dell Vostro and HP ProBooks are entry-level business devices that are good when on a budget.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes, Dell Vostro and HP ProBooks are entry-level business devices that are good when on a budget.

Though I am disappointed with every Dell Vostro 3000 post-3568.

The 3578 was originally supposed to have an M.2 slot for an SSD (I was tracking the 3578 ever since it started appearing on the website), and the newer ones no longer have user-serviceable batteries (one of them loses out on an ODD, but that is less of an issue).

If the 3578 will be substantially cheaper, as in closer to it's real worth, that would take some of my bitterness about it away.

1 minute ago, moriel5 said:

Though I am disappointed with every Dell Vostro 3000 post-3568.

The 3578 was originally supposed to have an M.2 slot for an SSD (I was tracking the 3578 ever since it started appearing on the website), and the newer ones no longer have user-serviceable batteries (one of them loses out on an ODD, but that is less of an issue).

Yeah, the design on all business laptops has sadly shifted towards the awful trends set by the likes of Apple and Razer.

20 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Depends on what you do. As some that typically wants to have multiple programs open next to each other, I think 15" is still pretty small. But it's a laptop, so you naturally sit closer to it anyways.

Best would be to walk into some store and open up some programs in the display units and see how it looks to you personally.

It's worth considering a 13" is quite a bit easier to take with you as well, which might be worth something. It also gives you more space in a college desk.

I wish there were 18" 16:10 laptops with good battery life (there are no 18" laptops from the past few years that I am aware of, before getting into the rest my sentence).

I wish there were 18" 16:10 laptops with good battery life.

Tbh even a 16" one would be good - 18" is a bit massive even for my taste.

Just now, 5x5 said:

Tbh even a 16" one would be good - 18" is a bit massive even for my taste.

Most people will be happy with 15-16", I prefer 16.5-18.5".

15 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

I will learn programming. I like the xps series because its bezelles display (Yes it is one of the stupiddest thing, but cmon....I love bezelles displays :'D)

I do not want to cut my option from gaming, that is the second argumrnt beside the xps 15, but it is not a dealbreaker (until it has a thunderbolt 3 port).

1 minute ago, ThePirateHunter said:

I will learn programming. I like the xps series because its bezelles display (Yes it is one of the stupiddest thing, but cmon....I love bezelles displays :'D)

I do not want to cut my option from gaming, that is the second argumrnt beside the xps 15, but it is not a dealbreaker (until it has a thunderbolt 3 port).

The displays on many modern laptops have small bezels - 1mm smaller on the XPS is not worth the thermal, power and latency issues plaguing them. It's just a very ancient design that desperately needs to be updated because it's becoming very poor by modern standards. The XPS 13/15 were good in 2014 but it's been almost 5 years without a proper update to the machines. It's very dated.

Just now, 5x5 said:

The displays on many modern laptops have small bezels - 1mm smaller on the XPS is not worth the thermal, power and latency issues plaguing them. It's just a very ancient design that desperately needs to be updated because it's becoming very poor by modern standards. The XPS 13/15 were good in 2014 but it's been almost 5 years without a proper update to the machines. It's very dated.

Understood

Thanks....Ill try to find something than :)

@5x5, Can you send me some alternatives besid ethe HP elitebook?

I am looking for a thin and light machine around 1000-1400 $

Edit: What about Lenovo Yoga 730?

Or than X1 carbon?

14 minutes ago, ThePirateHunter said:

@5x5, Can you send me some alternatives besid ethe HP elitebook?

I am looking for a thin and light machine around 1000-1400 $

Edit: What about Lenovo Yoga 730?

Or than X1 carbon?

The X1 Carbon is an excellent unit - highly recommended.

The Yoga 730 is not fantastic - I'd prefer an EliteBook 745 Ryzen over it.

46 minutes ago, ThePirateHunter said:

What kind of programming? There are many fields to choose from.

As a side note, I personally, especially as a technician, recommend you to stay away from laptops with soldered RAM and/or storage (which means, yes, avoid XPS and the X1 Carbon).

Perhaps something from Asus's ROG series or TUF series, or Dell's Precision series (I forget whether 3000, 5000, or 7000 is a better choice in this case).

Actually, Gigabyte's Aero laptops may be on-spot for you.

25 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

What kind of programming? There are many fields to choose from.

Well.....I have no idea ?

It is for university, I don't think I have to do any hardcore thing.

4 minutes ago, ThePirateHunter said:

Well.....I have no idea ?

It is for university, I don't think I have to do any hardcore thing.

You have no idea what you want to program?

Web programming takes a lot less than hardware engineering (yes, engineering also includes programming), for example.

3 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

You have no idea what you want to program?

Web programming takes a lot less than hardware engineering (yes, engineering also includes programming), for example.

I meant that, I don't know what will I learn. Momentarly I don't know that after 3 years (after finishing the university) what will I like to program. I don't know enough about programming yet. I think I will do multiple types of programming on university (but I don't think I will do hardware engineering in the foreseeable future, but who knows)

9 minutes ago, ThePirateHunter said:

I meant that, I don't know what will I learn. Momentarly I don't know that after 3 years (after finishing the university) what will I like to program. I don't know enough about programming yet. I think I will do multiple types of programming on university (but I don't think I will do hardware engineering in the foreseeable future, but who knows)

I had asked, since some of the choices utilize Quadro graphics which are NVidia GPUs meant for workstation (in this case mobile workstation) use, rather than the usual GeForce graphics (which are a better choice for games).

Ultimately, I think that Gigabyte's Aero series should be perfect for you, however it is heavier than laptops such as Dell's XPS series (due to more powerful components, and with that better cooling).

Edit: It appears that their Aero lineup only weighs ~2KG (<2KG for the 14-inch model).

9 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

I had asked, since some of the choices utilize Quadro graphics which are NVidia GPUs meant for workstation (in this case mobile workstation) use, rather than the usual GeForce graphics (which are a better choice for games).

Ultimately, I think that Gigabyte's Aero series should be perfect for you, however it is heavier than laptops such as Dell's XPS series (due to more powerful components, and with that better cooling).

Thank you, for your help!

I will think about it! 

Just now, ThePirateHunter said:

Thank you, for your help!

I will think about it! 

One update though, if you get a Gigabyte Aero, and it has Killer WiFi (based upon either the Intel 9260 or the AX200), buy a standard Intel AX200 (should be ~17$ from Fenvi on AliExpress, and about the same on their Amazon store, once they start stocking it on Amazon) and replace the WiFi card in the laptop, Killer WiFi is not the most stable for most tasks (the card's firmware is modified to be heavily prioritize specific kinds of traffic, like specific games, instead of improving the overall connectivity).

One update though, if you get a Gigabyte Aero, and it has Killer WiFi (based upon either the Intel 9260 or the AX200), buy a standard Intel AX200 (should be ~17$ from Fenvi on AliExpress, and about the same on their Amazon store, once they start stocking it on Amazon) and replace the WiFi card in the laptop, Killer WiFi is not the most stable for most tasks (the card's firmware is modified to be heavily prioritize specific kinds of traffic, like specific games, instead of improving the overall connectivity).

Gigabyte Aero 15 is a bit expensive isn't it?

Just now, ThePirateHunter said:

Gigabyte Aero 15 is a bit expensive isn't it?

It is, but not much more than the XPS, while being way better.

You can also try finding one of last year's models for cheaper (the performance difference, while real, should not be too much).

It is, but not much more than the XPS, while being way better.

You can also try finding one of last year's models for cheaper (the performance difference, while real, should not be too much).

I mean I found xps 15 on amazon for 1400$, but Aero 15 for 1800$. It is way above my budget. I understand your point, but I do not have enough money. Even 1400$ is a stretch.