Is my SSD dead?

Cypher-Jackson

2.5" Intel SSD 320 Series 160GB

I got this refurbished SSD about 3 years ago and put it in an old laptop. It is SATA II, so you know this thing must be old as hell. I was running it 24/7 for a while. One day it just stopped working. But when I plug it into my desktop with a SATA to USB adapter, Windows makes a sound that it detects the drive, even though the drive does not show up. Whats going on here? 

IntelSSD.jpg

on the pc with the ssd connected with the usb adapter, press the win key and the r key

on tue run command write diskmgmt.msc

this will open the disk management tool, take a snapshot and post it here, to see if the 160 gbs ssd is shown there and if it has a valid partition

i think that intel has a ssd health diagnose tool, download and run that too

also yu can run crystaldiskinfo, see if it catches it and what has to say about it

Thanks! Here is what came up after restarting...
Note: There is no important data on this drive. This computer just runs a Discord bot and plays music. Thats it. 

ssd.PNG

2 minutes ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

Thanks! Here is what came up after restarting...

ssd.PNG

select mbr

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

select mbr

I did and nothing happened. It doesnt even show up on the Disk Manager.

4 minutes ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

I did and nothing happened. It doesnt even show up on the Disk Manager.

you can try crystaldiskinfo like the other person said but i think its probably dead

Don't suppose the laptop was OSX and the desktop is Windows? 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, Kierax said:

Don't suppose the laptop was OSX and the desktop is Windows? 

Nope, Windows and more Windows

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If nothing is detecting it, I'd call it dead.

CrystalDiskInfo detected it. See above

1 minute ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

CrystalDiskInfo detected it. See above

It wasn't able to tell you anything about it, though.

I don't call that detecting. Windows made a sound when you plugged it in, but the drive wouldn't show up anywhere, right? That's just Windows acknowledging that something got plugged into the USB port.

Windows and CrystalDiskInfo cannot really tell you anything about this drive other than it exists. You're probably not gonna get much further than that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I looked into the Serial number BAD_CTX_00000130 and found some info...
From https://freek.ws/2014/11/12/how-to-fix-an-unbootable-intel-ssd-suffering-from-the-8mb-bug/

A friend of mine was having issues booting his laptop. The BIOS recognized his SSD, an Intel SSD sa2bw120g3a, but Windows was nowhere to be found. Even bootable partition and hard drive managers showed no sign of the SSD. This got me thinking that the SSD was dead, which was odd, as the BIOS was still recognizing it.

Several minutes of Googling lead me into the right direction; My friend’s SSD was suffering from the 8MB bug that was discovered in (almost all) Intel SSD firmwares, back in July 2011. As my friend never encountered issues with his SSD and wasn’t up to date about this fact, he never updated his SSD’s firmware, which could have prevented this bug from happening.

The 8MB bug is caused by an unexpected power loss under specific conditions. This will reduce the capacity of the SSD to 8MB and change the serial number to “BAD_CTX 0000013x”. Once this error occurs, no data on the SSD can be accessed and the user cannot write to or read from the SSD. The only way to get the SSD back to work is to erase it. That’s right, all data on the drive is permanently lost.

Some people have been able to start from scratch by wiping the drive’s contents with utilities such as HDDErase and Parted Magic but this only works if your SSD is not ‘frozen’. And since my friend has all the luck in the world, sure enough his SSD was frozen. Fixing a frozen Intel SSD suffering from the 8MB bug requires a more technical approach but it’s no rocket science once you know what you have to do. So, let’s get started!

It looks like fixing the drive may be possible, but it's too much work for me and too complicated to bother.