Using Y-Splitter for fan headers

Myrault

Hello everyone

Im trying to figure out how should i connect my case fans. My case has 6 case fans (2-Connected to mobo headers, other 4 connected to Psu, all single color RGB). Recently i had some troubles with the ones connected to the PSU due to absurd power outages, 1 of the fans stopped spinning but all the leds are still working, 2 of them lost most of the leds but still spin and the last one seems fine. The ones connected to mobo headers are perfectly fine.

Now my issue is that i have replacement fans, but i wanted to connect them on headers instead of the PSU directly. My mobos fan headers are 1Amp each, and the fans i have are 0.48A each. I wanted to use Y-splitters and use 2 fans on each header but it feels like too close to the header Amp and i dont know if i should risk it. My other option, plugging them to my PSU which i am hesitant to do because i dont know if it has a negative impact on the fans lifespan. 

What should i do?

are you sure the power consumption is 0.48 amps for each fan? that number sounds abit high for just a single color led fan, my single colored fans are like 0.3amps

it should be ok i think for the header because those 0.48 is under max speed and you should set a fan curve in bios, usually those headers are 2 amps, not 1 but if you say 1 i think you done some research on your motherboard specs

if you have concerns buy a powered fan hub using molex or sata power cable

about the power outages killing parts, i cant imagine how bad those were to kill those fans but if you got damaged parts, it is very likely you will loose more parts in the future, i recomend you to buy a ups to give a layer of protection angainst those power outages you ecperienced

29 minutes ago, goto10 said:

are you sure the power consumption is 0.48 amps for each fan? that number sounds abit high for just a single color led fan, my single colored fans are like 0.3amps

it should be ok i think for the header because those 0.48 is under max speed and you should set a fan curve in bios, usually those headers are 2 amps, not 1 but if you say 1 i think you done some research on your motherboard specs

if you have concerns buy a powered fan hub using molex or sata power cable

about the power outages killing parts, i cant imagine how bad those were to kill those fans but if you got damaged parts, it is very likely you will loose more parts in the future, i recomend you to buy a ups to give a layer of protection angainst those power outages you ecperienced

here is the fan stats, and yeah i asked the Gigabyte Support for confirmation on the fan header amps and they said that its 1Amps. The power outages have never been this awful i already lost a memory slot on another mobo. thankfuly its temporary, i will be relocating soon.

stats.png

51 minutes ago, geo3 said:

What PSU do you have? Any decent modern PSU should not be killing parts. 

I have Xigmatek Xcp-A600 X-Calibre 600W 80+