What is the Best Budget SSD?

sahil_ravuri

because most ssds are similar or even the same, there's no one perfect budget ssd, prices shift, manufacturers do better or worse, things like that

so there is no best budget ssd

9 minutes ago, sahil_ravuri said:

What is the Best Budget SSD in this year?

The one on sale currently from a brand that doesn't look too dogey and has good reviews

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

Depends what you're looking for.  ADATA's SU630 line has been topping GB/$ charts recently, at least here (not sure about other countries), and would probably be a good value for solid state bulk storage, though due to its QLC and DRAM-less nature, I wouldn't recommend it as an OS drive or anything else where a lot of activity besides reading will take place, particularly if performance matters.  Stepping up a bit, you see a mix of the typical options - WD Blues, other slightly nicer ADATA offerings, low end Crucials and Kingstons, as well as 660p drives from Intel and a variety of "no-name" questionable models.  Beyond that you start getting into what I'd call midrange, at least for SATA SSDs - something that still costs a lot less than the latest Samsung 8*0 EVO, but is a solid performer in its own right: Crucial's MX500 line.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Patriot Burst is really good and really cheap.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Patriot Burst is really good and really cheap.

just no cache... but otherwise good

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

just no cache... but otherwise good

It has DRAM cache.

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

It has DRAM cache.

i mean... if you call 32 mb a cache, it does

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

i mean... if you call 32 mb a cache, it does

yeah that is true, it has a tiny DRAM cache. seems to still perform pretty well after it runs out though, it's much better than i.e. a A400

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

yeah that is true, it has a tiny DRAM cache. seems to still perform pretty well after it runs out though, it's much better than i.e. a A400

yeah, true

it's not that i don't recommend them, but sometimes you can find bigger dram cached or even nvme for a couple bucks more

This is a slight step back from the topic but I'd just like to appreciate for a moment that we're to the point where an SSD is not a luxury item anymore but in fact actually cheaper than a HDD if you're just looking for the bare minimum of either and don't need a ton of space.  I've seen $25 SSDs that are plenty big to run a system on, and last I looked, 2.5" HDDs were more than that for the smallest size.  Sure they held more but if you aren't going to use the space anyway, you'd be paying more for a far worse experience.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.