8 or 16 gigabytes of ram for gaming

is there a difference between 8 and 16 gigs of ram for gaming and what should go with 

RAM is cheap. Buy lots lol

I Wouldn't dip below 16gb, heck my gaming rig from 2011 had 16gb?? Why limit yourself haha

Just now, lostboy said:

I Wouldn't dip below 16gb, heck my gaming rig from 2011 had 16gb?? Why limit yourself haha

not everybody has lots of money, not everywhere in the world ram is cheap, you assume alot of things there

RAM is debatably the cheapest part of your rig. Even a budget video card is 100$ but 4gb sticks of DDR4 are about 17 dollars..... (team Elite) 

So yea. I wouldn't say I'm making assumptions about a part that makes up 1/8th the cost of the main component.... 

I stand behind my recommendation. 16GB., 

16GB is pretty much the standard baseline for gaming PCs. GTA V and Skyrim SE can both top 8GB of usage by themselves.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

if a person asks if 8 gbs is enough, for me it means that they probably cant pay more without compromising the rest of the build in some way

for some of us 100 dollars is alot, perhaps for you is just pennies, but for others is not

By that logic, anything is "too much". 

Honestly if 17 dollars is too much for you, then I'd recommend a different hobby. 

8GB RAM isn't enough for Google chrome, let alone Shadow of the Tomb Raider or GTA

Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer or will attack anyone who has a different viewpoint. 

3 minutes ago, lostboy said:

By that logic, anything is "too much". 

Honestly if 17 dollars is too much for you, then I'd recommend a different hobby. 

8GB RAM isn't enough for Google chrome, let alone Shadow of the Tomb Raider or GTA

Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer or will attack anyone who has a different viewpoint. 

dont tell me what to do do with my money. 

gtav is doing just fine here with 8gbs, if one can buy more, nice, if not, dont come with lies telling people they cant survive without at least 16 gbs or they have to find a new hobby

btw, a ram kit where i live costs 150 dollars, not just 17, really you know nothing

6 minutes ago, goto10 said:

if a person asks if 8 gbs is enough, for me it means that they probably cant pay more without compromising the rest of the build in some way

It can. It can also mean that someone doesn't enjoy the idea of spending money for the sake of spending money if they can get by with less. If someone is only playing indie stuff, older titles like the OG 32-bit Skyrim or B-tier games that aren't really AAA but are several steps above indie, yeah, they're good with 8GB. But if they're looking for modern AAA titles, 16GB is my sincere recommendation if it fits the budget without having to drop to an i3 or run a Logisys PSU.

7 minutes ago, lostboy said:

Dick move, bro.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Dick move, bro.

LOL yea I'm fine with that. I'm not saying he's a noob if he can't buy a 9900k. I'm saying "computers can be expensive." that's all. 

4 minutes ago, goto10 said:

a ram kit where i live costs 150 dollars, not just 17, really you know nothing

I'm genuinely curious as to where you live. What is the cost of other components???? 

46 minutes ago, popcorn343 said:

is there a difference between 8 and 16 gigs of ram for gaming and what should go with 

16 is the minimum currently for gaming, IMO.  You can go with 8GB, but you would usually have to be vigilant about disabling almost everything that is NOT the game.  Just not worth it. 

You'll also run into situations where even if you do everything in your power to run lean some games will just simply use more than 8GB.  You may also find yourself using more than 16GB for some heavily modded games if you don't run lean as well.

@lostboy has a point, tho it took a bit to get it out (and wasn't well presented at first).  It currently is a very good time to buy RAM right now.  Some of us bought when 16GB was near $200, now it's very much under $100.  RAM should never be the limiting factor in a gaming machine, IMO.

As always, only you know your budget and life.  If you can get 16GB, do so.  If you can only afford 8GB right now, but can buy more in a short period of time, I would argue for the short term detriment of getting 1 8GB stick so you can pair it with another 8GB stick soon.  Getting 2x 4GB kits fills up slots that may be needed for upgrading later.  I don't buy and sell PC parts, so I rarely advocate the philosophy of buy now, then sell it, then buy bigger later.  I prefer to buy bigger now.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

38 minutes ago, lostboy said:

Yeah, this wasn't the most helpful way to present an argument for 16GB RAM.  The lol and haha just come off as childish and sarcastic.

Explain why 16GB is worth actually paying for, not just because it's cheap.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

4 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Some of us bought when 16GB was near $200, now it's very much under $100.  RAM should never be the limiting factor in a gaming machine, IMO.

Please don't remind me of the dark times. Less than a year ago I paid 400 for 32GB of Corsair RGB Pro whatver. It made me want to cry.... 

And yea I don't always make my point as clear as I could. Thanks for making me look like less of an a-hole. 

14 minutes ago, lostboy said:

LOL yea I'm fine with that. I'm not saying he's a noob if he can't buy a 9900k. I'm saying "computers can be expensive." that's all. 

They don't have to be. A little scouring of yard sales here, a thrift shop or two there, then a gamble on a GPU from Craigslist or eBay that puts out a display but doesn't accept drivers and boom. You've got yourself an adorable little 1080p gaming setup for $50-ish.

But yeah, they definitely f*cking can.

8 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

@lostboy has a point, tho it took a bit to get it out (and wasn't well presented at first).  It currently is a very good time to buy RAM right now.  Some of us bought when 16GB was near $200, now it's very much under $100.

A couple of years ago, Best Buy ran a promotion where you could bring in a laptop, any laptop and trade it for a $75 gift card. I got one off of an old ThinkPad A31, and went to use it on bestbuy.com a couple months later to get my hands on the cheapest guaranteed Samsung B-Die I could find. Granted, it was Corsair RGB so it carried a premium, but I was incredibly stoked to see my $75 gift card bring the price below $250.

If history is any indicator, we'll have cheap RAM for another few months to a year, then price fixing a fire, an earthquake, poor yields, staffing issues or an angry chihuahua pissing on the production line will send prices sky high indefinitely.

28 minutes ago, lostboy said:

I'm genuinely curious as to where you live. What is the cost of other components???? 

what, now we are going to be friends? you are a special kind of person!

hopefully i live far, far, far from you

23 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If history is any indicator, we'll have cheap RAM for another few months to a year, then price fixing a fire, an earthquake, poor yields, staffing issues or an angry chihuahua pissing on the production line will send prices sky high indefinitely.

Stupid Chihuahua. The price on low end platter hard drives hasn't dropped in almost six years haha