MacBook Air WiFi Issues

mkU1tra762

My mom has a Mid 2012 MacBook Air and it says it's connected to WiFi but there is not internet access. My Laptop works fine on the same WiFi router. Any ideas?

CPU i7 8700K ( 5 GHz) RAM G Skill Trident Z 32 GB (3200 MHz) GPU EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Motherboard Asus ROG Strix z370 E Gaming Cooling NZXT Kraken x62 R2 PSU EVGA SuperNova 650 W 80+ Platinum Storage 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SATA, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA Display Dell QHD 144Hz 27'' Case NZXT H500 Black Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mouse Logitech G900 Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Does that happen to other networks? This could be the router blocking the MAC address of the MacBook (no pun intended)

1 minute ago, IgorM said:

Does that happen to other networks? This could be the router blocking the MAC address of the MacBook (no pun intended)

I don't think it's that because if we restart it, it will work for a day orzo then stop again.

CPU i7 8700K ( 5 GHz) RAM G Skill Trident Z 32 GB (3200 MHz) GPU EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Motherboard Asus ROG Strix z370 E Gaming Cooling NZXT Kraken x62 R2 PSU EVGA SuperNova 650 W 80+ Platinum Storage 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SATA, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA Display Dell QHD 144Hz 27'' Case NZXT H500 Black Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mouse Logitech G900 Operating System Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, IgorM said:

Good pun though :)

46 minutes ago, mkU1tra762 said:

My mom has a Mid 2012 MacBook Air and it says it's connected to WiFi but there is not internet access. My Laptop works fine on the same WiFi router. Any ideas?

Dont know much about Mac OS, but Id assume its like every other OS and uses drivers. Maybe try to uninstall and Reinstall the drivers for the WiFI adapter. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Dont know much about Mac OS, but Id assume its like every other OS and uses drivers. Maybe try to uninstall and Reinstall the drivers for the WiFI adapter. 

Ha, if only it were that simple. One of the downsides of MacOS. There are no drivers or adapters. At least not accessible. It's supposed to "Just work" like Steve said. Most of the time it does and that's what makes the OS great, especially for less computer literate people. I think I fixed it though. I removed the "WiFi service" by clicking the (-) symbol in the network system preferences and added it again by clicking the (+) sum,bol. It remembered her network and joined it automatically and it works much better so far. It's an old model so she does need an upgrade soon, but by dad is trying to avoid that for as long as possible. 

3 minutes ago, mkU1tra762 said:

Ha, if only it were that simple. One of the downsides of MacOS. There are no drivers or adapters. At least not accessible. It's supposed to "Just work" like Steve said. Most of the time it does and that's what makes the OS great, especially for less computer literate people. I think I fixed it though. I removed the "WiFi service" by clicking the (-) symbol in the network system preferences and added it again by clicking the (+) sum,bol. It remembered her network and joined it automatically and it works much better so far. It's an old model so she does need an upgrade soon, but by dad is trying to avoid that for as long as possible. 

Good to know. I have been pondering buying a MAC over the last little bit myself. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Good to know. I have been pondering buying a MAC over the last little bit myself. 

It's worth looking into. There are some things I do love about them. I just switched back to iPhone after switching to Android (mainly Pixel and Samsung phones) over the past 4 years. So having the seamless integration between my MacBook Pro 13" with Touch Bar 2018 model, Apple Watch Series 4, iPad Pro 10.5 inch 2017, and iPhone XR has been so great! Much better the having a Lenovo Thinkpad, random Fossil and Huawei smartwatches, Samsung Tab S2 9.7 inch and whatever android phone I had at the time. I used to be all Apple before 2015 and switched platforms and now I'm back and overall, love it! I still have my customer gaming PC (parts listed below) and as  a "computer" it is way better than having an iMac or something. Especially since I use it to game too. I do have windows 10 on my MacBook Pro too via "Boot Camp" and it's actually awesome, so I get the best of both worlds. The keyboard has actually grown on me too, even though I made fun of it since they switched to the  butterfly switches. I do use Google Homes too and have Google Assistance installed on my iPad and iPhone so at least that's available too. And having an Apple TV and AirPods doesn't hurt too. Just my opinion though. :)

3 minutes ago, mkU1tra762 said:

windows 10

That is why Im thinking of Switching. Windows 10 hasent been a great experience for me. I have driver issues all the time. Things randomly will stop working properly. Every update has a 50-50 chance of breaking shit. Ive been gaming on PC since 2004, and I have a very large Steam library but at this stage, I rather give that up for some damn reliability and not have to worry about some piss ant update screwing things up. Apple seems to have their shit together on the software front from what I have seen on the Iphone XR. 

21 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

That is why Im thinking of Switching. Windows 10 hasent been a great experience for me. I have driver issues all the time. Things randomly will stop working properly. Every update has a 50-50 chance of breaking shit. Ive been gaming on PC since 2004, and I have a very large Steam library but at this stage, I rather give that up for some damn reliability and not have to worry about some piss ant update screwing things up. Apple seems to have their shit together on the software front from what I have seen on the Iphone XR. 

So do you have an iPhone?

56 minutes ago, mkU1tra762 said:

So do you have an iPhone?

Yep. Thus far the best phone I ever had. 

On 8/4/2019 at 8:55 PM, Donut417 said:

Yep. Thus far the best phone I ever had. 

Well then, you will love the integration between the Mac and the iPhone.