RTX 2070 performance issues

RTX 2070 performance issues 

I recently built my first PC and have been having some interesting performance issues. My current set up is:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 3.2ghz (4.1ghz max boost) 
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 (ARMOR 8G)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8 GB) DDR4 3000
Motherboard: MSI B 450 Tomahawk 

I primarily use this rig to play Overwatch (all low settings, 100% render scale, 1920x1080, etc.) and most people I've talked to have told me I should have no problem getting ~240 fps. However, my fps usually hovers around the 180 mark and dips to around 140 during team fights. This is still fairly high and normally wouldn't bother me, but my friend on a RTX 2060 and a ryzen 5 2600 with the same ram and motherboard almost universally outperforms me. He averages around 240 fps and only slightly dips in team fights with no overclocking. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be throttling my performance?

Are you thermal throttleling?

Are your components (or atleast one) being used to its fullest? (Use taskmanager to find out)

Did you enable xmp on your ram? (So it is running @ 3000mhz)

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Competitive settings produce very high FPS, Overwatch isn't muti core heavy. There's every chance you have one core pegged at 100% essentially bottlenecking your GPU.

Thank you all for the tips!

How would I fix the problem if one core is pegged at 100%?

Ok, I tried upping my graphics quality and it did not seem to help much. However I used task manager to figure out that my GPU is only around 15% usage, even during team fights (CPU was at about 40% usage and Ram was about 50%). All these numbers seem awfully low to me ( especially GPU) is there any way to push them a little further?  Also, my apologies for being kinda slow with all the PC stuff but I don't know what XMP is.

If you are overclocking your GPU remember that a high memory overclock might work but if its too high and creating errors the error correction will kick in and your FPS will start dropping.

It was pretty common with 1080 overclocking that +500 on Memory was better 3-5FPS than +550 for a lot of people with Samsung Memory, even though it didn't crash it just ran badly.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

First of all, I need to point out that I never played overwatch so I have no idea what you should or could have in terms of performance but out of my experience blizzard games and performance are two things that rarely come combined.

Secondly, if you use the task manager to check for system utilisation or rather look for the bottleneck and/or performance problem, you are just doing it utterly wrong. (more on why later)

Close task manager and get yourself an OSD program with logging function such as MSI afterburner or HWInfo64 +rivatuner and set that up (guides are all over the internet).

Than benchmark both your and your friends system, both in real time with OSD as well as with logging the system activity in the background. (and make sure to set the Hardware polling rate to at least 300MS while doing so as the default is usually set to 800ms, which is 0,8 seconds, which is far too high to get proper measurements.)

Taskmanager is “ok” to do a quick check for basic stuff but it fails to show informations such as: GPU core & memory clocks, Vram utilization, powerdraw, temperature, thermal/power limitations, vcore and and and...  Oh and it's also rather slow in refreshing (or polling) the hardware for new info, which is good for performance but not so good if you want to know what's going on precisely. 

All of this is vital information in figuring out what is happening when and why if you feel your performance is not on par with what it should be.

It is also equally vital, as mentioned before, to actually setup a proper benchmark & FPS program. And no, having an FPS counter on top of your screen that refreshes itself every second or so, like fraps or (generally) a games ingame FPS counter, is not proper. This is what semi proper looks like: https://i.imgur.com/hqABHrW.jpg  (upper left corner) - still missing CPU core utilisation for each single core as well as CPU clock speed but it should still paint the picture.

Also keep in mind that frametimes > framerate. As a harsh example: 60FPS with a flat 16.6ms frametime will “beat” 100FPS with frametimes variating between 9 and 15ms in terms of actual gameplay smoothness and/or stutterfree experiance. Perfect frame times are always your current FPS divided by 1.000 - and yes, variating FPS = variating frametimes.

The bottom line being:
read yourself into what your hardware actually does and how to show & measure it properly. I’ve already given you the starter guide above. If after that you still feel your system is underperforming, you will now have the basic understanding on what you are looking at and more importantly you will be able to actually provide more information that anybody would ever need to assist you properly.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.