3x samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 2280 in my mobo

Kigiin

Just off the bat, I wouldn't recommend doing that. Each SSD would take 4 PCIe lanes, so there goes 16 of your 24 PCIe lanes. Leaving you with 8 for the chipset and whatever PCIe devices such as a GPU.

All three of the slots support M.2-2280 PCIe SSDs. So for those alone, yes, it will work. (They also support SATA SSDs, so if you're willing to drop to something like 860 Evos, then you can gain some PCIe lanes back. I'm pretty sure this will disable all 6 SATA ports though.)

The first PCIe x16 slot runs at x16 and shares bandwidth with the second PCIe x16 slot. Runs at x8 when the second slot is populated.

The second PCIe x16 slot runs at x8.

The third PCIe x16 runs at x4 and shares bandwidth with the M2P connector (the smallest of the 3 M.2 slots), and runs at up to x2 when a PCIe SSD is installed in that M2P connector.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

5 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Just off the bat, I wouldn't recommend doing that. Each SSD would take 4 PCIe lanes, so there goes 16 of your 24 PCIe lanes. Leaving you with 8 for the chipset and whatever PCIe devices such as a GPU.

All three of the slots support M.2-2280 PCIe SSDs. So for those alone, yes, it will work. (They also support SATA SSDs, so if you're willing to drop to something like 860 Evos, then you can gain some PCIe lanes back. I'm pretty sure this will disable all 6 SATA ports though.)

The first PCIe x16 slot runs at x16 and shares bandwidth with the second PCIe x16 slot. Runs at x8 when the second slot is populated.

The second PCIe x16 slot runs at x8.

The third PCIe x16 runs at x4 and shares bandwidth with the M2P connector (the smallest of the 3 M.2 slots), and runs at up to x2 when a PCIe SSD is installed in that M2P connector.

Thank you.

Would 2x M.2 and 1x Samsung 860 SATA SSD be better?

Just now, Kigiin said:

Thank you.

Would 2x M.2 and 1x Samsung 860 SATA SSD be better?

Possibly, or even 2x 860 Evo or 860 Pro and 1x 970 Evo. Just make sure that the smallest M.2 slot (the M2P slot) is filled with a PCIe SSD, since it doesn't support SATA SSDs. All the other slots support both PCIe and SATA SSDs.)

There really isn't much noticeable difference between SATA and NVMe SSDs. You'd see maybe a few seconds difference in Windows boot times, but other than that, it won't be very noticeable outside of file transfers between two NVMe SSDs. (Unless you're doing stuff with very read/write heavy workloads, like 4K video editing.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

14 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Possibly, or even 2x 860 Evo or 860 Pro and 1x 970 Evo. Just make sure that the smallest M.2 slot (the M2P slot) is filled with a PCIe SSD, since it doesn't support SATA SSDs. All the other slots support both PCIe and SATA SSDs.)

There really isn't much noticeable difference between SATA and NVMe SSDs. You'd see maybe a few seconds difference in Windows boot times, but other than that, it won't be very noticeable outside of file transfers between two NVMe SSDs. (Unless you're doing stuff with very read/write heavy workloads, like 4K video editing.)

So then I should be fine all around with 1x M.2 in the M2P and 2x 860EVO SATA SSD. Have my operating system on the M.2 with everything else on the SATA SSDs?

I plan on running duel GPUs in the future.

7 minutes ago, Kigiin said:

So then I should be fine all around with 1x M.2 in the M2P and 2x 860EVO SATA SSD. Have my operating system on the M.2 with everything else on the SATA SSDs?

I plan on running duel GPUs in the future.

If you want to do a dual GPU setup, you'd definitely want the 2x 860 EVO drives and then the 1x 970 EVO drive, that way you've got at least 8 PCIe lanes free for each GPU. And yep, you should be able to put the OS on any of the SSDs.

Note: I wouldn't recommend dual GPU if you're planning on using it for gaming. The support for it really isn't there to justify the cost. More often than not, you'll see no benefit from it, or maybe even worse performance because of it.

6 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

If you want to do a dual GPU setup, you'd definitely want the 2x 860 EVO drives and then the 1x 970 EVO drive, that way you've got at least 8 PCIe lanes free for each GPU. And yep, you should be able to put the OS on any of the SSDs.

Note: I wouldn't recommend dual GPU if you're planning on using it for gaming. The support for it really isn't there to justify the cost. More often than not, you'll see no benefit from it, or maybe even worse performance because of it.

the cpu  pcie lanes are seprate from the chipset lanes, so you can run 3x pcie ssds in m.2s and dual gpus without an issue. You will be limited by dmi speed for the drives though

But OP, just get one or two bigger ssds, why so many drives.

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Thanks a lot of taking the time to help me.

Ok, quick run down just to confirm I fully understand (I dont want to goof this up).

I can run 2x M.2 and a SATA SSD with 1x GPU and I should be golden or, I can run 1x M.2 and 2x SATA SSD if I want to do duel GPU?

I have the M.2s so I would like to utilize as many as I can without negatively affecting the PC.

Thank you for the advice about the GPU. I figured such so I'll stick to just one GPU.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the cpu  pcie lanes are seprate from the chipset lanes, so you can run 3x pcie ssds in m.2s and dual gpus without an issue. You will be limited by dmi speed for the drives though

But OP, just get one or two bigger ssds, why so many drives.

Honestly because I have them. I currently have 3x M.2 970 EVO and 1x 860 SATA SSD. I just want to utilize whats best.

Just now, Kigiin said:

Thanks a lot of taking the time to help me.

Ok, quick run down just to confirm I fully understand (I dont want to goof this up).

I can run 2x M.2 and a SATA SSD with 1x GPU and I should be golden or, I can run 1x M.2 and 2x SATA SSD if I want to do duel GPU?

I have the M.2s so I would like to utilize as many as I can without negatively affecting the PC.

Thank you for the advice about the GPU. I figured such so I'll stick to just one GPU.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

I'm not sure how PCIe lanes are divvied up by the board when you've got PCIe SSDs running in the first two M.2 slots, so I can't say for sure, though I'd assume 2x NVMe and 1x SATA SSDs would still let you use the first PCIe slot at at least x8.

If you tried all 3, you might end up with the GPU running at x4, which may harm performance (not entirely sure on that). I don't know how many lanes the chipset eats up, or if there's anything else (like a wifi card) built in that might eat some up too.

If you already have the three NVMe drives, go ahead and try two, or maybe even all three of them. If it doesn't work, then swap one or two out with SATA drives.

37 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Each SSD would take 4 PCIe lanes

IOgiga.PNG.0d8a4466a37a6896db38e8caf08376d6.PNG

Nope, it's totally fine.  Chipset =/= CPU lanes

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

I'm not sure how PCIe lanes are divvied up by the board when you've got PCIe SSDs running in the first two M.2 slots, so I can't say for sure, though I'd assume 2x NVMe and 1x SATA SSDs would still let you use the first PCIe slot at at least x8.

If you tried all 3, you might end up with the GPU running at x4, which may harm performance (not entirely sure on that). I don't know how many lanes the chipset eats up, or if there's anything else (like a wifi card) built in that might eat some up too. 

If you already have the three NVMe drives, go ahead and try two, or maybe even all three of them. If it doesn't work, then swap one or two out with SATA drives.

Look, before dropping authoritative statements all over the place you could at least google the mobo and take a look at listed specs.  Don't spread misinformation because you don't know and can't be bothered to do the research

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

5 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

the top pcie slots are cpu pcie lanes, so it won't be affected by whats in the m.2 slots.

6 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

m.2 are running off chipset lanes, top 2 x16 slots are running off cpu lanes, they won't affect each other. the gpu won't to x4 no matter what

7 minutes ago, Kigiin said:

Honestly because I have them. I currently have 3x M.2 970 EVO and 1x 860 SATA SSD. I just want to utilize whats best.

what not just try it?

But if you got the drives, might aswell run them all you got the slots for it.