GTX 1080ti with 2x 1440p?

Kasper_MC

Hi. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but wanted to make sure.
Right now I'm running a 2560x1440 and a 1050x1680 (old...) screens on my 1080 ti, no issues. 
However, I really wanna get rid of the 1050x1680-one, it's old TN and only worth looking at when I absolutly must use 2 screens... otherwise it's just on my desk, being old and ugly. 
Anyways, my 1440p is good, but I'm looking at getting another one like it (it's "only" 60hz) - but with higher framerate and lower responsetime - So I'd get a 120-144hz 1-4ms 1440p monitor for gaming, having my current 1440p as secondary. 
I'd only game on the 144hz, only having the other running whatever chrome/youtube/discord/HWInfo, or something like that... Still, the GPU would still have to render that too, no? 
So how much of an impact would that have on my gaming experience at high refresh rates, having that second monitor?

Games like CS:GO, Squad, CoD, etc. 

I'm running a 1080ti, 2600X, 16gb (3000mhz, CL15) ram. 

3 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

having a 2nd monitor doesn't impact performance

if you play a lot of fps games you should 100% buy a 1080p 240hz display instead of just a 1440p 144hz one.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

if you play a lot of fps games you should 100% buy a 1080p 240hz display instead of just a 1440p 144hz one.

Assuming he wants to upgrade his CPU so he can push that in much other than CS:GO (240Hz is no joke), plays that competitively, and can actually notice a difference between 144 and 240 (lots of people can't). I'd personally go 1440p144, 144 is plenty for some pretty competitive play, and the higher res is just nicer on the eyeballs if you play any game you actually want to admire the graphics in. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Streetguru said:

having a 2nd monitor doesn't impact performance

Thanks! 

Yeah, I know if that was the thing I did the most, but I'd like it for work too (in education, so preparing PP and research, I really like the greater resolution). Having two 1440p screens is a lot of realestate, which would be a nice bonus :)

If your graphics card is at 100% in a game and you are watching YouTube/videos on the second monitor you may notice stuttering, but other than that it'll be fine.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

If your graphics card is at 100% in a game and you are watching YouTube/videos on the second monitor you may notice stuttering, but other than that it'll be fine.

Studdering in video or game? 

Second displays don't affect your performance, 2D images are so easy to run for a GPU. The 3D rendering of a game will still feel the same

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

21 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

Studdering in video or game? 

The second screen that isn't playing the game. If you are watching videos at the same time and encounter stuttering just need to ensure that your GPU usage is <100%. Even like 1-2% headroom should be enough to drive a video on the second monitor.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

The second screen that isn't playing the game. If you are watching videos at the same time and encounter stuttering just need to ensure that your GPU usage is <100%. Even like 1-2% headroom should be enough to drive a video on the second monitor.

^^^ I haven't really had any workloads that push the GPU to 100% max anyway. Maybe if you're rendering something it'll push that hard, but I've still watched YouTube with blender rendering out stuff in the background just fine. Streamers run dual/triple monitor setups all the time too, running their twitch page, the actual game, and their stream software with no issues. Some specific games will be funky if you run youtube in the background (I forget the ones, I've had some games stutter when I do that), but usually it's fine. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ I haven't really had any workloads that push the GPU to 100% max anyway. Maybe if you're rendering something it'll push that hard, but I've still watched YouTube with blender rendering out stuff in the background just fine. Streamers run dual/triple monitor setups all the time too, running their twitch page, the actual game, and their stream software with no issues. Some specific games will be funky if you run youtube in the background (I forget the ones, I've had some games stutter when I do that), but usually it's fine. 

Yeah in general should be fine, I've just seen on here a few times people post about dual-screen setups and videos stuttering on their off-screen when gaming. So thought it worth a mention.

58 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

Thanks! 

Yeah, I know if that was the thing I did the most, but I'd like it for work too (in education, so preparing PP and research, I really like the greater resolution). Having two 1440p screens is a lot of realestate, which would be a nice bonus :)

I have a similar dual-1440p setup with a 1080Ti. No issues whatsoever. My primary panel is 144Hz as well, with the secondary being an older 60Hz monitor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White