Windows 10 1903 Network driver issue

Donut417

I just recently upgraded to 1903. By upgraded I of course mean I backed up my data and reinstalled Windows as my 1803 install was pretty old at this point. I also made sure to grab the NIC driver from Intel, as my motherboard is no longer supported by MSI. Some times when I wake the computer from sleep I loose connection to my network. Device Manager shows a code 10. Putting the computer back to sleep and waking it solves the issue. But I shouldn't have to do that. This was also an issue on 1803 as well. It doesn't happen every time but it does happen. All power saving features have been turned off. 

System Specs

i5 3570k

16 Gigs of Ram

950 Evo 500 Gb

2x 1TB Seagate HDD

HD7950 

MSI Z77A-GD65

Ive had other issues with Windows 10, mostly graphical glitches with the mouse cursor that come and go. I beginning to think Windows 10 doesn't like my hardware. This was a trial run of 1903. As my Plex server will also need to be upgraded at some point, though I may just upgrade it directly to Ubuntu instead. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Does 1903 support your NIC out-of-the-box, ie, does it ship with a so-called inbox driver? If it does, try using that. If it doesn't, try the most recent driver from MSI anyway and see if the problem persists.

1 hour ago, TheDelphiDude said:

Does 1903 support your NIC out-of-the-box

It does but I would assume its the same driver for 1803. Which didnt work. The MSI driver Is what I had up to 1803 and it had issues. The only reason I went to the Intel driver was because I had issues with the other two at some point in time. 

The problem with Windows 10 is that settings are scattered all over the place, so I recommend looking at all the settings from the power management configuration panel applet, as well as the power management tab from the NIC properties underneath device management.

Also check the BIOS for any settings related to power management, and if there is an update for the BIOS or NIC firmware. If you're running a 3rd party firewall or AV solution, try disabling it, and see if the issue persists.

1 hour ago, TheDelphiDude said:

at all the settings from the power management configuration panel applet,

I found a setting for PCI express so I turned that off. Im hopeful this will solve it. There should not be anything in the BIOS as I never had an issue with Windows 7. Plus this issues doesnt happen on Windows 10 during every sleep cycle. Though it does seem to happen more often now days. Computer can be asleep all day and wake up no issues. The computer can be asleep for 10 min and the NIC driver decides to have a fucking stroke. Im convinced that Windows 10 was never really made for older machines like this one. 

If Apple didnt have soooooo many quality control issues, Id probably just buy a mac and say to hell with it. 

Pci or pcie lan cards are very cheap. Buy one and you'll have no problems.

I have seen that these type of problems got solved by manually importing the .INF file, it seems a bit difficult, but the manual import of drivers is really not that difficult:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

20 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Though it does seem to happen more often now days. Computer can be asleep all day and wake up no issues. The computer can be asleep for 10 min and the NIC driver decides to have a fucking stroke.

Are you running a 3rd party firewall or security suite? Those can certainly mess things up.

I've uninstalled GData's firewall after it simply killing my ethernet connection. I still had an IP address, but all traffic was blocked. HTTP(S), DNS queries, PING, nothing worked until a reboot. And it took several hours for the problem to manifest itself, seemingly without reason.

20 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Plus this issues doesnt happen on Windows 10 during every sleep cycle.

It certainly as though the NIC doesn't fully wake up, so I'm guessing the real issue isn't the driver but rather a power management issue.

2 minutes ago, TheDelphiDude said:

t certainly as though the NIC doesn't fully wake up, so I'm guessing the real issue isn't the driver but rather a power management issue.

Went through all the settings and they are turned off, plus if it were a power management issue it should happen every time. Also when I log in and go to device manager it will not show a NIC not even installed, which is why I think its a driver issue.  I think the driver is having a stroke and Windows doesn't seen the device. 

3 minutes ago, TheDelphiDude said:

Are you running a 3rd party firewall or security suite? Those can certainly mess things up.

Only AVAST free and Malwarebytes. No 3rd party firewalls. 

Im about ready to say fuck it and buy or build a new machine. Seems like Windows 10 runs like shit on old hardware. Hell depending on the update Windows 10 barely works on new hardware some of the time. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Seems like Windows 10 runs like shit on old hardware.

My experience differs from yours. I've seen Windows 10 run on hardware that really should have been given a burial at sea, woefully underpowered cheap-as-chips laptops and desktops (think APU based horrors) and even those dreadful 10" tablet style $@#% with 2GB RAM and 32GB of storage. No problems other than being painfully slow.

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Hell depending on the update Windows 10 barely works on new hardware some of the time. 

Microsoft did drop the ball with the initial release of 1809. I didn't lose any files, but it did break the action center and it took several months before it was finally fixed with an update.

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Only AVAST free and Malwarebytes. No 3rd party firewalls. 

Try disabling and/or removing those. You shouldn't visit any dodgy sites and such during that time, but at the very least you can rule out software being (part of) the problem.

8 minutes ago, TheDelphiDude said:

Try disabling and/or removing those. You shouldn't visit any dodgy sites and such during that time, but at the very least you can rule out software being (part of) the problem.

So basically compromise my security of my computer and network, thats great  While we are doing that, have you ever had the mouse cursor glitch out, but still work? Like the image of it gets distorted at random and fixes it self at random. Thats the other issue I have. Been having this problem since I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. None of these issues exist on my Haswell laptop. Though Im really thinking switching that machine to Linux, as its my Plex server and Windows 10 1903 doesn't seem to be up to the task. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

So basically compromise my security of my computer and network, thats great  

I agree it's far from optimal, but that sometimes finding the cause of an issue forces you to do things you'd rather not do. Like taking apart a new build with all the cable management in place because it doesn't boot. You could always temporarily block internet access for that PC on the router level if so needed.

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

While we are doing that, have you ever had the mouse cursor glitch out, but still work? Like the image of it gets distorted at random and fixes it self at random.

I've never seen anything like that, so I have no idea how to help you with that. However, these days the mouse cursor is being handled by the IGP or GPU, so perhaps a driver update and/or hotfix will solve the problem.

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Though Im really thinking switching that machine to Linux, as its my Plex server and Windows 10 1903 doesn't seem to be up to the task. 

If Linux does everything you need when it comes to running a Plex server I'd stop trying to fix the issues you have and use Linux instead. Perhaps not the most ideal of situations, but eventually the extra time and effort you'll need to invest simply isn't worth it.

9 minutes ago, TheDelphiDude said:

You could always temporarily block internet access for that PC on the router level if so needed.

Its my only computer I have access to. My laptop is a permanent Plex server. My phone just doesnt do it for me. 

Update.

Every morning I wake the machine to no network connection. Code10 displayed in device manager. However if I right click the device and scan for hardware changes it works. Interesting. At least I don’t have to put it to sleep and wake it again to revive it.

its probably power management, some drivers have issue with power management features.

set power scheme to high performance and set the options in yellow

uncheck allow computer to turn off this device to save power

check allow this device to wake the computer

image.png.fff636db1197b6150c6b5beb8002b272.png

3 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

its probably power management, some drivers have issue with power management features.

set power scheme to high performance and set the options in yellow

uncheck allow computer to turn off this device to save power

check allow this device to wake the computer

image.png.fff636db1197b6150c6b5beb8002b272.png

On 7/28/2019 at 6:59 PM, Donut417 said:

I just recently upgraded to 1903. By upgraded I of course mean I backed up my data and reinstalled Windows as my 1803 install was pretty old at this point. I also made sure to grab the NIC driver from Intel, as my motherboard is no longer supported by MSI. Some times when I wake the computer from sleep I loose connection to my network. Device Manager shows a code 10. Putting the computer back to sleep and waking it solves the issue. But I shouldn't have to do that. This was also an issue on 1803 as well. It doesn't happen every time but it does happen. All power saving features have been turned off. 

System Specs

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

that doesnt mean anything did you specially set the options i sent you? 

its normal for network connection to be dropped in standby the network driver is clearly having issues resuming from standby. computers have different sleep states you can also try setting those in the bios.

its a common issue,

you need to see if there is an updated driver that resolves or dont allow computer to go into standby.

but because of your ruddiness and smug attitude i done helping you. I hope you find  luck getting help from others. if you know the answer why ask the question?

2 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

hat doesnt mean anything did you specially set the options i sent you? 

ALL power saving features have been turned off. I mean ALL. That was the first thing I checked. Keep in mind this issue has happen since Windows 10 was released and installed on this machine. 

3 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

ou need to see if there is an updated driver that

Not trying to be a dick. But you didnt read my post. I HAVE installed the latest driver from MSI, The latest driver from Intel. The one from Microsoft sucked and didnt work either. 

4 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

good luck getting help from others. if you know the answer why ask the question?

Because the usual  shit does FUCKING work. the most up to date driver is from Intel and that was from like last year. And if you bothered to read at all you would have know I did the driver update, I did turn off the power saving features. 

6 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

dont allow computer to go into standby.

Sorry, not an option. My computer is a god damned space heater. So I put it to sleep, before I go to bed. Unless your going to pay our power bill? 

Trust me, I've seen cases where this like magic solves problems very simliar to yours:

On 7/30/2019 at 10:18 AM, seagate_surfer said:

I have seen that these type of problems got solved by manually importing the .INF file, it seems a bit difficult, but the manual import of drivers is really not that difficult:

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Trust me, I've seen cases where this like magic solves problems very simliar to yours:

I’ll try that when I get home. I just that on a new clean crisp install of Windows. It should all just work. I feel like we are back in the Windows 98 days. 

Try it and please tell us if it works for you!

3 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Try it and please tell us if it works for you!

Well now I have no drivers that work. So I guess I say fuck it and install Linux. Because I’m done with this dog turd of an OS.