Case Fan Question/Issue

Xiauj

Hi,

I’m currently transferring My Main PC to a Fractal Design Focus G Case (..from a P400S) and, I can’t seem to hook up My 2x Corsair AF140 Fans and 1x Corsair AF120 Fan which are all 3-pin. I can see some fan headers on the motherboard, but they are all 4-pin I believe :/ I’m a bit confused.

Do I need to order an official cable specifically or a fan splitter or something??

Thanks

-Xiauj

Edited by Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

you can connect 3 pin fans into 4 pin fan headers, there is a plastic tab on the fan header that should match a shape on the 3 pin fan connector, as long as both parts correspond it will work

a 3 pin fan has not as perfect speed control as a 4 pin fan

if you have some 3 pin fans and some 4 pin fans try to put them in different fan headers, sometimes when you mix them, they might not react to fan speed changes they way you expect, some might spin faster than expected

Which mobo? If you need any further help as I would need to check manual.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

29 minutes ago, goto10 said:

snip

Are you sure plugging a 3-pin into a 4-pin is safe? I’ve never heard that before.

19 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Which mobo? If you need any further help as I would need to check manual.

My motherboard is this specific one: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K5-rev-1x#kf

The rest of My specs are in My profile on left-side aka the CPU/RAM/etc.. ?

9 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Are you sure plugging a 3-pin into a 4-pin is safe? I’ve never heard that before.

Perfectly fine. The pins are same, PWR, GND, RPM (and PWM). Then you can set mobo to treat those headers as voltage controlled. This selection should be available for all headers on your mobo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

29 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Perfectly fine. The pins are same, PWR, GND, RPM (and PWM). Then you can set mobo to treat those headers as voltage controlled. This selection should be available for all headers on your mobo.

Oh ok.

I just realised I forgot to mention this but, I ordered a Deepcool fan splitter before making this topic. Will this work?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DDC27BD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GtGpDb788MN9H

And if it is fully compatible, where do I plug in, on the motherboard??

Edited by Xiauj

it is perfectly safe, i have been doing it for decades

the Y splitter or fan hub is 4 pins on all sides, it will work, remember to match the notch on the connectors so the fourth pin ends unused as mentioned before

6 minutes ago, goto10 said:

it is perfectly safe, i have been doing it for decades

the Y splitter or fan hub is 4 pins on all sides, it will work, remember to match the notch on the connectors so the fourth pin ends unused as mentioned before

Ok.

Will the Deepcool fan splitter I linked above be fully compatible for putting the fans into? Then where do I plug fan splitter into, on the motherboard?

My specific mobo is linked above.

30 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Ok.

Will the Deepcool fan splitter I linked above be fully compatible for putting the fans into? Then where do I plug fan splitter into, on the motherboard?

My specific mobo is linked above.

Splitter works same as the fans connected to it. So you will plug fans to it and then plug it to any header. Only thing to remember is that if you mix 3pin and PWM fans on splitter, you have to set mobo to use voltage controls for that header. Otherwise 3pin will be running full speed all the time. Another thing is that amperage of all connected fans must not exceed 1A (when added up). This is usually non-issue with moderm consumer grade fans. I can't check Corsairs site atm to verify.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I can't check Corsairs site atm to verify.

It wasn't specified but the most power hungry variant of the AF140 is the AF140 LED (2018) which draws up to 0.3A. You should be able to run 3 of them off of a motherboard fan header. The next is the AF140 LED QE's which draw up to 0.23A.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@LogicalDrm & @WoodenMarker & @goto10 Quick question?:

After ordering the Deepcool fan splitter (..linked above), I’ve noticed that the AF120 (Rear) cable is too short so I’m gonna have to order a 4 pin cable like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VYB76I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X6hqDb1263008 then plug the 3-pin-fan into this cable, then plug that into the fan splitter alongside the 2x AF140’s and plug the fan splitter into the motherboard.

But My question is, which 4-pin header on the motherboard should I choose?? I know some people are saying any will work but if possible please show an image, I dunno which one to choose :) That would really help!

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

@LogicalDrm & @WoodenMarker & @goto10 Quick question?:

After ordering the Deepcool fan splitter (..linked above), I’ve noticed that the AF120 (Rear) cable is too short so I’m gonna have to order a 4 pin cable like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VYB76I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X6hqDb1263008 then plug the 3-pin-fan into this cable, then plug that into the fan splitter alongside the 2x AF140’s and plug the fan splitter into the motherboard.

But My question is, which 4-pin header on the motherboard should I choose?? I know some people are saying any will work but if possible please show an image, I dunno which one to choose :) That would really help!

Thanks

Any :D you just need to tell in BIOS that header to be voltage controlled. SYS_FAN1 is always a good choice.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Snip

Update: Decided to order this instead of the ADATA Cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KG8KGN2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WtzqDbMDYHX06

Hopefully it works lol. The ADATA was an add-on item by Amazon damn it -_- didn’t feel like buying something else extra.

But anyways, cable is on its way. Will update here later. Gotta try and find the manual to find SYS_FAN1 xD

Edited by Xiauj

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

Update: Decided to order this instead of the ADATA Cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KG8KGN2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WtzqDbMDYHX06

Hopefully it works lol. The ADATA was an add-on item by Amazon damn it -_- didn’t feel like buying something else extra.

But anyways, cable is on its way. Will update here later. Gotta try and find the manual to find SYS_FAN1 xD

SYS_FAN2 might be better. Looking at pic, I think SYS_FAN1 is one on the top left corner. SYS_FAN2 is next to 24pin power, SYS_FAN3 is bottom middle.

http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Manual/mb_manualga-ax370-gaming-k5_e.pdf page 4, btw.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv