QoS in APs ?

TheCrusader

Hey folks!

I recently moved to a new location and to get some decent internet speeds as well as stable connections with low latency for gaming I decided to go with a hybrid solution.

Back in my old apartment I had a really bad ISP router that I downgraded to bridge mode and let my Netgear XR500 do the rest. At the new place however I got an Huawei HA35-22 from my ISP. After I couldn't find something like a bridge setting I googled and found out that this router doesn't have a bridge option (like do many others that use hybrid technology). So I had no choice but to set my XR500 as Access Point, however in AP Mode it loses alot of its functionality, like QoS, which is a big bummer.

My GF and I stream and play alot online and prior to this day my trusty XR500 provided us with what we needed, but I fear that won't be the case now.

So I basically have 2 options now:

1.) I scrap my Internet connection and downgrade to 30mbit DSL only (from Hybrid 125mbit)

OR
2.) get another routing solution, whereas I cannot skip the ISP router ...

Do you guys have any other input on this matter that could help? I'd appreciate it!

Best wishes

Metaljesus

9 minutes ago, TheCrusader said:

Do you guys have any other input on this matter that could help? I'd appreciate it!

How about not flying off the handle for so little? Do you actually need QoS? Does something not work right without it or what?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Well its not ideal, but you could always double-NAT. (shock horror)

If you can set the Netgear as the DMZ on the ISP router, it should allow you to use all the functionality without touching the ISP router after that.

There is a valid point though that you might not need QoS now you have a faster connection, if you are careful to set throttling limits in things like Steam so it never maxes out your connection.  I'd certainly choose 125Mbit without QoS over 30Mbit with QoS any day.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, TheCrusader said:

Hey folks!

I recently moved to a new location and to get some decent internet speeds as well as stable connections with low latency for gaming I decided to go with a hybrid solution.

Back in my old apartment I had a really bad ISP router that I downgraded to bridge mode and let my Netgear XR500 do the rest. At the new place however I got an Huawei HA35-22 from my ISP. After I couldn't find something like a bridge setting I googled and found out that this router doesn't have a bridge option (like do many others that use hybrid technology). So I had no choice but to set my XR500 as Access Point, however in AP Mode it loses alot of its functionality, like QoS, which is a big bummer.

My GF and I stream and play alot online and prior to this day my trusty XR500 provided us with what we needed, but I fear that won't be the case now.

So I basically have 2 options now:

1.) I scrap my Internet connection and downgrade to 30mbit DSL only (from Hybrid 125mbit)

OR
2.) get another routing solution, whereas I cannot skip the ISP router ...

Best wishes

Metaljesus

I recommend getting the Netgear DM200 (it's that cheap), replacing it's firmware with OpenWrt, and extracting the FritzBox's DSL modem firmware for the DM200 to enable vectoring support, continue using your XR500 as an access point (or enable bridge mode), and return the Huawei.

I'm honestly amazed a hybrid service even works to be honest.  I've tried combining VDSL and LTE myself and it was an unmitigated disaster, completely unusable due to the differences in latency, MTUs, etc.  I guess an ISP selling it as a service must tweak it to work better.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'm honestly amazed a hybrid service even works to be honest.  I've tried combining VDSL and LTE myself and it was an unmitigated disaster, completely unusable due to the differences in latency, MTUs, etc.  I guess an ISP selling it as a service must tweak it to work better.

How did you do that?

The router I had earlier mentioned in the XPS thread, also has an mPCIe slot (and I am looking for one that utilizes M.2 for this as well) for a cellular modem card (and has a SIM slot on the board for that purpose).

If I could find one with an M.2 slot, I highly recommend buying on AliExpress the Snapdragon X5 modem card (you will need an HP computer to extract the firmware though), and that, coupled with bridge mode, on OpenWrt, may work better than what the ISP provides (provided you know what you are doing), and definitely better than using any of those cellular USB modems (while costing the same or less).

Hey Folks!

Thanks for your ideas! I think I'll be going the DMZ route.

However, today my connection was dropping in and out like crazy, one disconnect per hour.

I might be looking for another ISP altogether if the situation turns out to be like this regularly (I'm only 48h in my new place, so I don't exactly know what it will be like)

However: thanks again!

7 hours ago, TheCrusader said:

Hey Folks!

Thanks for your ideas! I think I'll be going the DMZ route.

However, today my connection was dropping in and out like crazy, one disconnect per hour.

I might be looking for another ISP altogether if the situation turns out to be like this regularly (I'm only 48h in my new place, so I don't exactly know what it will be like)

However: thanks again!

That's pretty much what happened when I tried to do a hybrid solution on pfSense.

The 4G latency would climb to 2000ms during peak hours when in use causing the router to think it was down, the firewall would restart (dropping all connections), it would then come back up because it wasn't in use so latency reduced, rinse and repeat until I disabled the 4G connection.

I'm not sure its the reason in your case, but I wouldn't be surprised as IMO the 4G would have be extremely well managed to be consistent enough to not cause issues.