Issues with secondary router

ClumsyWheels
Go to solution Solved by ClumsyWheels,

@Lurick

Yesssss! This marks the end of my misery. The new TP-LINK Access Point worked! It was some issue with the old D-LINK router. Haven't figured out the exact issue that was causing the strange behavior, and I probably won't look into it much further. Probably some issue with the firmware or something.

The Access Point I got is the TL-WA901ND.

IMG_20190728_214216320.jpg

I have a modem-cum-router with DHCP enabled as my primary router. Primary router is 192.168.0.1 and DHCP lease pool starts at 192.168.0.20. The DOCSIS internet cable is connected to it. I have a network switch connected to this router. A secondary router is connected to this switch via Ethernet. (Cable connected to LAN on router.) The secondary router has DHCP disabled and has IP address as 192.168.0.2.

The secondary router also has 3 more LAN ports. These wired LAN ports have no issues connecting to the network. But, for the wireless connections on this router, I am facing some issues. If I connect a device to the secondary router wirelessly, then no issues. But after that if I connect the same device to the primary router wirelessly, then the device only connects to the primary router and always gets stuck at obtaining IP address while connecting to the secondary router. If I forget both wireless connections on the device and restart the secondary router, then only can I connect with the secondary router again. But if I connect to the primary router,  I get stuck in the same loop. Also, if I ever connect to the primary router first, then I cannot connect to the secondary router. I have been trying to get this working since 3 days! I am on the verge of losing my mind and laughing hysterically until I die. Please help!!

What model routers do you have?

Is this for all wireless devices or a particular one like a phone? If it's just a single device what's the make/model?

Is the SSID name and password the same for both routers? It sounds like it's different so I just want to check.

--If they are different, have you tried making them the same and seeing if you have the same problem?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The primary router is a Technicolor TC7200.d1l and the secondary router is a DLINK DSL-2730U. The switch is a DLINK DES-1005C.

The problem persists for all devices.

SSID is different, password is the same.

Yep, same problem if I set the same SSID for both.

@Lurick

6 minutes ago, BrakelessManiac said:

The primary router is a Technicolor TC7200.d1l and the secondary router is a DLINK DSL-2730U. The switch is a DLINK DES-1005C.

The problem persists for all devices.

SSID is different, password is the same.

Yep, same problem if I set the same SSID for both.

@Lurick

Hmm, on the secondary router you disabled DHCP, did you also disable UPnP, any Application and Port Forward Rules, Access Control and Web Filters, SPI and the Firewall? It sounds like there is possibly a setting that's still on causing the second router to act like a DHCP server as well still but if you disabled the feature then that shouldn't happen and the device should just take the first DHCP offer it gets even if there were two DHCP servers.

I assume you've also tried rebooting both routers at the same time as well?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

UPnP, Port Forwarding, Access Control,  Web Filters and Firewall, all are disabled.

I am sorry, but I don't exactly know what SPI is.

@Lurick

1 minute ago, BrakelessManiac said:

UPnP, Port Forwarding, Access Control,  Web Filters and Firewall, all are disabled.

I am sorry, but I don't exactly know what SPI is.

@Lurick

Sorry, SPI is Stateful packet inspection, it's part of the firewall basically that can help filter out malicious packets.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

@Lurick

Okay, now this is just bizarre! My laptop just connected. I restarted it, connected to primary router first, basically did everything to throw it off, but it still connects to the secondary router.

Why aren't my phones connecting then?

One is a Moto X4 and the other is a Moto G4 Play.

5 minutes ago, BrakelessManiac said:

@Lurick

Okay, now this is just bizarre! My laptop just connected. I restarted it, connected to primary router first, basically did everything to throw it off, but it still connects to the secondary router.

Why aren't my phones connecting then?

One is a Moto X4 and the other is a Moto G4 Play.

More strangeness, hmmm, perhaps try rebooting the phones?

Not sure that would really do much but I don't see how it can hurt at this point :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

More strangeness, hmmm, perhaps try rebooting the phones?

Not sure that would really do much but I don't see how it can hurt at this point :)

Rebooted the phones, same issue. Tried with my mother's S9+ and father's S9, same issue.

Just now, BrakelessManiac said:

Rebooted the phones, same issue. Tried with my mother's S9+ and father's S9, same issue.

And you rebooted both routers? Switch as well?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

And you rebooted both routers? Switch as well?

Rebooting with every try.

Just now, BrakelessManiac said:

@Lurick

I just ordered a new TP-Link Access Point. I'll let you know what happens when it arrives.

Sounds good, keep me posted.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

@Lurick

Yesssss! This marks the end of my misery. The new TP-LINK Access Point worked! It was some issue with the old D-LINK router. Haven't figured out the exact issue that was causing the strange behavior, and I probably won't look into it much further. Probably some issue with the firmware or something.

The Access Point I got is the TL-WA901ND.

IMG_20190728_214216320.jpg