Steelseries 9H with Astro Mixamp?

ohitsluca
Go to solution Solved by LogicDeifying,

Yes, the Mixamp. The Mixamp has 1 3.5mm jack for both headphone and microphone audio on it, and the 9H comes with an adapter that passes headphone and mic audio through one 3.5mm jack. I'm just not sure if it will work as I hope it will. I know that Siberia V2's will work with the Mixamp... not sure why the 9H wouldn't as well. Just wanted to see if anyone had first-hand experience or knew a reason why it wouldn't work.

I'm not looking for headphone/headset advice, just an answer to the question of compatibility. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that you won't have any problems.

I game on multiple consoles as well as my PC, and right now my A40's / Mixamp do everything I need them to do. I have them connected to my console via optical, and to my PC via USB so I can listen to music while I game, skype, or record voice audio through my PC as opposed to through a capture device such as my Elgato. It's very convenient, but I've had the A40's for a while now and they're A.) Not that comfortable B.) Not the best sound quality C.) Poor mic quality D.) slightly starting to fall apart lol. In looking for a new headset, I wanted to find something with the same flexibility as the A40/Mixamp combo for my particular situation. In looking at tons of reviews, I think I have settled on the 9H by Steelseries.

The 9H according to the reviews I have read has great sound quality for a gaming headset, great mic quality, and great build quality. I'm pretty much set on getting it, I'm just wondering if I will be able to connect it to my existing Astro Mixamp so that I can still have the 9H connected to my PC and Xbox as I do with the A40's. The 9H comes with a connector that unifies the headphone and microphone jacks into one 3.5mm jack (which is how the A40's connect to the Mixamp), so I'm hoping that adapter will do the job.

Can anyone think of any reason why that wouldn't work? Thank you.

P.S. I know that I could get better quality headphones and use a desktop microphone... I already have a Blue Snowball but do not like using it when I game. I like have a dedicated mute switch, and my desk and my TV and not in the same direction so the mic doesn't always sound great when I'm facing away from it. Sound quality is important to me, but not when it means sacrificing convenience. Thanks.

Yeah but when are you going to be facing away from your monitor...?

Thanks for the reply. You're certain it would work for both microphone and headphone audio? And I face away from my monitor when playing console games on my TV.

Thanks for the reply. You're certain it would work for both microphone and headphone audio? And I face away from my monitor when playing console games on my TV.

I'm sorry what do you mean by 'it',Do you mean the mixamp?

In that case you should get a Sennheiser headset excellent sound made from someone who knows their stuff and really good mic.

I'm sorry what do you mean by 'it',Do you mean the mixamp?

In that case you should get a Sennheiser headset excellent sound made from someone who knows their stuff and really good mic.

Yes, the Mixamp. The Mixamp has 1 3.5mm jack for both headphone and microphone audio on it, and the 9H comes with an adapter that passes headphone and mic audio through one 3.5mm jack. I'm just not sure if it will work as I hope it will. I know that Siberia V2's will work with the Mixamp... not sure why the 9H wouldn't as well. Just wanted to see if anyone had first-hand experience or knew a reason why it wouldn't work.

I'm not looking for headphone/headset advice, just an answer to the question of compatibility. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that you won't have any problems.

• 3 months later...

I have the 9h's with the mixamp 5.8 and it works great and it works better if you use the 4 pole connect for your phone directly into the headphone port with out the pc adaptor