Are there any good HDR monitors for under £300?

Go to solution Solved by Sorenson,

I don’t think there are many good options right now. I really like my Samsung CHG70 but it’s a little above your price range and only 400 nits. The main killer for most affordable hdr monitors right now is the brightness.

Hi there,

I'm looking for a new screen - mainly for media consumption, but I also play cinematic games (i.e. don't need high FPS) such as Tomb Raider/Assasins Creed. I like to play these on max graphics - for reference I tend to get 50-70 fps average on Assassins Creed: Odyssey (bigger range if you look at the extremes). (I have a GTX 1070 and 6700K).

Because of that, I'm looking for HDR but I heard 400 nits is the minimum but ideally you want 600 - 1000 nits.

Has anyone had any luck with monitors that meet/exceed these requirements:

• Available in the UK
  • HDR support (DisplayHDR600)
  • Anything above 75% Adobe RGB should be fine.
  • 24" or 27"
  • Ideally 1440p or 4K, but would rather have good 1080p HDR than bad HDR at higher res, given my current graphics card.
  • Normal ratio (no space for ultrawide)
  • VESA Mount
  • max. Price: £300, if not avoidable £400

I had a search through the forum but couldn't find threads that weren't focussed on also having freesync/high refresh rate.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDq85VkFNQ&list=PL7m5C6_P_lnXb9cHwdo0Ct1TTZ7KUwm3e

link to a playlist of high quality monitor reviews. they go through everything for each monitor that they do. 

this guy makes sure that if a monitor says HDR, it is atleast hdr600 (none of that hdr 400 bs) and he will tell you color space, response time, quality, etc. 

On 7/26/2019 at 12:29 AM, Saksham said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#W=2400,2700&sort=price&X=0,50000&P=2,4&a=16009&v=75075,100100,100200,200100,200200,400200

list of all monitors under 500usd (400 pounds). there are only 8 which fit in your requirements. this website may be inaccurate for the UK as these are mostly US listings. 

Thanks, there's actually a UK pc part picker but I'm afraid I looked there already. As good as it is, I suspect the list is not quite complete when it comes to monitors - if you disable all filters other than setting size to >24", and brightness to >440 nits then you only get 2 monitors (4K ones from Asus and LG selling for £2000 and £1500). Note I set minimum price to £1 so it removes the ones that aren't available.

Maybe there are no monitors with more than 400 nits that are less than 4K, but that surprises me if it's true.

That's why I made this thread hoping for anyone that might have used a decent hdr monitor first hand.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:19 AM, Saksham said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDq85VkFNQ&list=PL7m5C6_P_lnXb9cHwdo0Ct1TTZ7KUwm3e

link to a playlist of high quality monitor reviews. they go through everything for each monitor that they do. 

this guy makes sure that if a monitor says HDR, it is atleast hdr600 (none of that hdr 400 bs) and he will tell you color space, response time, quality, etc. 

Thanks, I'll have a look. Unfortunately the very first video when I click the link says he wouldn't recommend any hdr monitors yet, but I'll keep watching.

22 minutes ago, ratva said:

he wouldn't recommend any hdr monitors yet

if you are using it just for gaming its pretty useless tbh

I don’t think there are many good options right now. I really like my Samsung CHG70 but it’s a little above your price range and only 400 nits. The main killer for most affordable hdr monitors right now is the brightness.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:18 PM, Saksham said:

if you are using it just for gaming its pretty useless tbh

I'm mainly planning on using it for media consumption, with potential for some games like tomb raider.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:33 PM, Sorenson said:

Thanks for the model reference and your experience with it! I had a look, and I think you're right - it's a bit above my budget, and I don't think I could justify the cost for features like the high refresh rate that I can't push with my current system.

It seems like I might have to wait a bit longer for this search.

1 hour ago, ratva said:

Thanks for the model reference and your experience with it! I had a look, and I think you're right - it's a bit above my budget, and I don't think I could justify the cost for features like the high refresh rate that I can't push with my current system.

It seems like I might have to wait a bit longer for this search.

I'm glad I was able to help. This MSI monitor also looks pretty good but its not HDR.

2 hours ago, ratva said:

I'm mainly planning on using it for media consumption, with potential for some games like tomb raider.

most media is not recorded with HDR, only very limited media actually is recorded with high color gamut. most people do not have hdr so it is not worth it to most content creators (except maybe movies and some netflix stuff). 

again, it is very limited and it is not worth it at this point. in a few years, sure, hdr will hopefully become ubiquitous and so it will be a good option.