Define R6 Fan Placement with 280mm Rad

997R8V10

Hello,

I recently bought some new parts and upgraded to a 9700K with an ASUS Z390-E motherboard. To cool the 9700K I got the Corsair H115i 280mm rad. For the case I have the Fractal Design Define R6. Unfortunately the case will be on carpet so putting any fans on the bottom is out of the option.

My question is, what is the best way to set up the radiator/case fans to allow for balanced air flow and to keep the whole thing quiet and cool. I know the Define R6 has the modular vent filter at the top, but would that cause any problems if I used fans as exhaust there? Also, would that filter help maintain pressure?

Some of the things I was considering was (Hastily drawn pictures included for reference):

1) Front 280mm rad push or pull, 1 rear 140mm exhaust

2) Front 280mm rad in push/pull, 1 rear 140mm exhaust, 2 top 140mm exhaust

3) Front 280mm rad push or pull, 1 rear 140mm exhaust, 2 top 140mm exhaust (Would this cause problems due to pressure?)

4) 2 Front 140mm intakes, 1 rear 140mm exhaust, top 280mm rad in push or pull

I'm not sure which is the best. I've heard that front mounting is better for CPU temps but I'm not really sure.

Setup 1.jpgSetup 2.jpg

Setup 3.jpgSetup 4.jpg

280mm at front for better cpu temps or at the top for better graphics card temps. 

Use the extra fans in other case fan mounts instead of push / pull. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

280mm at front for better cpu temps or at the top for better graphics card temps. 

Use the extra fans in other case fan mounts instead of push / pull. 

I would prefer better CPU temps so I guess front wins. Would option 3 cause any pressure issues?

1 minute ago, 997R8V10 said:

I would prefer better CPU temps so I guess front wins. Would option 3 cause any pressure issues?

It's fine. If you want positive pressure to reduce dust accumulation, you could just run the intakes at higher rpm than the exhausts. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:45 PM, WoodenMarker said:

It's fine. If you want positive pressure to reduce dust accumulation, you could just run the intakes at higher rpm than the exhausts. 

The intakes only seem to have a max rpm of 1200... It's nice and quiet but it seems low for a CPU cooler fan... The outputs are running at 600rpm each. And with 3 of them, that overpowers the input. I set it up so that only 1 exhaust is running all the time and so that the others kick in when the PCH temperature gets higher. Not sure if that solves it or of I should move one of the exhausts onto the radiator to balance airflow.

I had that case and basically the exact same AIO, I did my rad at the top exhausting out, had the filter on but the metal plate off, used 3 120mm on the front pulling air in and one on the back exhausting, never once had any cooling issues of any kind

2 hours ago, 997R8V10 said:

The outputs are running at 600rpm each. And with 3 of them, that overpowers the input.

Are you testing the openings with something like incense sticks? It's not as simple as adding the rpm. 

On 7/27/2019 at 2:18 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Are you testing the openings with something like incense sticks? It's not as simple as adding the rpm. 

I'll see if I can find something similar lying around to test it out. I also noticed that the new corsair fans only spin at 1200rpm. While that's more than enough for the CPU cooler itself, not sure if it's enough for total case airflow.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:00 AM, Ravendarat said:

I had that case and basically the exact same AIO, I did my rad at the top exhausting out, had the filter on but the metal plate off, used 3 120mm on the front pulling air in and one on the back exhausting, never once had any cooling issues of any kind

I think that's what I'm going to go with. I front mounted my AIO and the fans only spin at 1200rpm which really isn't enough for total case airflow. I'd rather sacrifice a few degrees of CPU temp by top mounting it than running my entire PC hot.

20 hours ago, 997R8V10 said:

I'll see if I can find something similar lying around to test it out. I also noticed that the new corsair fans only spin at 1200rpm. While that's more than enough for the CPU cooler itself, not sure if it's enough for total case airflow.

A single front intake and rear exhaust is plenty for most systems for airflow. That isn't compromised with the rad at the top as exhaust whereas having the rad at the front would restrict intake. 

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

A single front intake and rear exhaust is plenty for most systems for airflow. That isn't compromised with the rad at the top as exhaust whereas having the rad at the front would restrict intake. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The case itself came with 3 fans, two mounted up front and 1 in the back. So I think I'll sacrifice some CPU temp and move it to the top to get better airflow across the case. I mean currently I have a 4.9Ghz OC at 1.28V stable and it only hits 75C during stress tests. Another few C shouldn't really hurt it.