Upgrade & Custom Watercooling

Hi Guys

MY Current PC is following: i7 6700k, Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme, 16gb corsair vengence, samsung evo ssd, 2 tb wd, 800 watt corsair psu, cable mod cables

I want to upgrade and tackle a custom watercooling hard tube. I was asking if its worth switching the 980ti for the 2070 or 2070 super or even going for a full amd build with the new amd 5700 xt. 

I want to ugrade my rig with following parts:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.00 @ B&H
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard $169.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card $529.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case $143.98 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1172.96
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-24 16:03 EDT-0400  

I also want to mount my GPU vertically.

Now to my water cooling parts, Here I'm totally out of my depth and would be especially happy for your help. 

However I would not get the fans from them, nor the bending kit and I would have to add a drain loop and a flow meter (indicator). What are other good companies apart from ek? Thx guys! I would also probably go for a 240 and 120 rad instead of an 360. 
Thoughts?

I won't commend on the parts selection for the main PC, as it is always just a rabbit hole of people who think they know best what works for you. But I can talk about water-cooling parts for you here:

• Since you have space in the case, I would add a radiator at the top and front, at least. 240mm for both should almost assuredly fit, and I bet you could make at least 1 of them a 360 without issues
  • EKWB is expensive. They are definitely good, and I've always been happy with my purchases. But they are expensive. So are corsair, phanteks, bitspower, etc. I always tell people to at least consider chinese brands if they're willing to wait. If you go on aliexpress, and look for well reviewed parts that meet the specs you want, you can save tons of money and sacrifice zero to little amounts of performance. I'll give more specific examples as we go
  • Fans: get what you think looks good, and has decent enough performance. totally up to you
  • Bending kits: I can't say how nice these are, never had one. I just have a cheap heat gun and some silicone inserts I got from a local mod shop. It works well for me, but I've heard many swear by kits. so that's gonna be up to you
  • Drain: yeah, just get a splitter fitting and a cap so you can easily drain. In a case with that much space, no good reason not to
  • Flow meter: not needed. but if you want one, feel free
  • CPU block: EK makes good blocks. But a cheap aliexpress block like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32710756337.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11f84c4dGC5Y0F will be at worst a couple degrees worse. And it saves you like, 50+ dollars. 
  • Pump/res: you can get a cheap res on aliexpress for like 15 bucks. a glass one for like, 25. and they're totally good. if you want, i can send links for ones i've used. I will say that long-term aliexpress pumps have been hit and miss for me. Some have been fine. Some have refused to obey PWM signals and run at 100% all the time. One developed a small rattling sound (but still runs). So I will not criticize you for going with a D5 from a reputable brand. As for which one to get, whatever looks good, will mount easily, and ships fast to you I guess. If you want to do a pump/res combo, that will probably be more expensive than getting res on the cheap and the pump separately, but it does reduce the fittings you have to buy, and is easier to install, so it's a viable option for sure. what you selected will work fine
  • GPU blocks: As before, EK, phanteks, bitspower, etc all make good blocks. However, Bykski, a popular brand in the asian market, can often have these at half to 2/3 of the price, and they are just as good. I've used them many times, with no issues. In fact, if you go to trade shows, you often see them in show builds that were done in Asia. 
  • Fittings: EK makes good fittings, for sure. But, if you want to save some $$$, look for occasional sales EK has. I recently got 70% off a bag of fittings from them they were clearing out. If you cannot find such a deal, Barrow (The brand who makes that CPU block I linked) has done me very well over the years. Had fittings from them in service for many years, that have been moved between builds, and no issues. They are actually somewhat notorious for being a pretty good attempt at cloning bitspower fittings, which many people regard as the best
  • Tubing: I've got tubing from aliexpress before, but tbh it wasn't much cheaper than first-tier brands, so no real downside to going with EK or someone similar if you're already placing an order and don't have to pay twice for shipping
  • Coolant: I will always support just using distilled water. Seen opaque coolants, clear coolants/dyes all stain things, clog blocks up, etc. Not worth the risk/hassle IMO. Get coloured tubing and/or lighting and save yourself the pain. As for what to add to it in order to prevent algae growth and/or corrosion, I've personally had great experiences with primochill liquid utopia, but i'm sure others have good products as well.
  • Fan spiltters: aliexpress can get you fan splitters or even small PWM hubs for super cheap. definitely get those kinds of small accessories there
  • PSU bridge/testing connector: you can literally just use a paperclip to bridge those pins (or anything else conductive). many PSUs even come with one of those. don't spend money on one.

Sorry I didn't go into too much detail about everything, or give links to everything. There is a lot to cover. If you have questions though, pls ask

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

14 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

I won't commend on the parts selection for the main PC, as it is always just a rabbit hole of people who think they know best what works for you. But I can talk about water-cooling parts for you here:

• Since you have space in the case, I would add a radiator at the top and front, at least. 240mm for both should almost assuredly fit, and I bet you could make at least 1 of them a 360 without issues
  •  EKWB is expensive. They are definitely good, and I've always been happy with my purchases. But they are expensive. So are corsair, phanteks, bitspower, etc. I always tell people to at least consider chinese brands if they're willing to wait. If you go on aliexpress, and look for well reviewed parts that meet the specs you want, you can save tons of money and sacrifice zero to little amounts of performance. I'll give more specific examples as we go
  •  Fans: get what you think looks good, and has decent enough performance. totally up to you
  • Bending kits: I can't say how nice these are, never had one. I just have a cheap heat gun and some silicone inserts I got from a local mod shop. It works well for me, but I've heard many swear by kits. so that's gonna be up to you
  •  Drain: yeah, just get a splitter fitting and a cap so you can easily drain. In a case with that much space, no good reason not to
  •  Flow meter: not needed. but if you want one, feel free
  •  CPU block: EK makes good blocks. But a cheap aliexpress block like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32710756337.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11f84c4dGC5Y0F will be at worst a couple degrees worse. And it saves you like, 50+ dollars. 
  •  Pump/res: you can get a cheap res on aliexpress for like 15 bucks. a glass one for like, 25. and they're totally good. if you want, i can send links for ones i've used. I will say that long-term aliexpress pumps have been hit and miss for me. Some have been fine. Some have refused to obey PWM signals and run at 100% all the time. One developed a small rattling sound (but still runs). So I will not criticize you for going with a D5 from a reputable brand. As for which one to get, whatever looks good, will mount easily, and ships fast to you I guess. If you want to do a pump/res combo, that will probably be more expensive than getting res on the cheap and the pump separately, but it does reduce the fittings you have to buy, and is easier to install, so it's a viable option for sure. what you selected will work fine
  •  GPU blocks: As before, EK, phanteks, bitspower, etc all make good blocks. However, Bykski, a popular brand in the asian market, can often have these at half to 2/3 of the price, and they are just as good. I've used them many times, with no issues. In fact, if you go to trade shows, you often see them in show builds that were done in Asia. 
  •  Fittings: EK makes good fittings, for sure. But, if you want to save some $$$, look for occasional sales EK has. I recently got 70% off a bag of fittings from them they were clearing out. If you cannot find such a deal, Barrow (The brand who makes that CPU block I linked) has done me very well over the years. Had fittings from them in service for many years, that have been moved between builds, and no issues. They are actually somewhat notorious for being a pretty good attempt at cloning bitspower fittings, which many people regard as the best
  • Tubing: I've got tubing from aliexpress before, but tbh it wasn't much cheaper than first-tier brands, so no real downside to going with EK or someone similar if you're already placing an order and don't have to pay twice for shipping
  • Coolant: I will always support just using distilled water. Seen opaque coolants, clear coolants/dyes all stain things, clog blocks up, etc. Not worth the risk/hassle IMO. Get coloured tubing and/or lighting and save yourself the pain. As for what to add to it in order to prevent algae growth and/or corrosion, I've personally had great experiences with primochill liquid utopia, but i'm sure others have good products as well.
  • Fan spiltters: aliexpress can get you fan splitters or even small PWM hubs for super cheap. definitely get those kinds of small accessories there
  • PSU bridge/testing connector: you can literally just use a paperclip to bridge those pins (or anything else conductive). many PSUs even come with one of those. don't spend money on one.

Sorry I didn't go into too much detail about everything, or give links to everything. There is a lot to cover. If you have questions though, pls ask

wow this is a crazy response thx so much really appreciate it. any opinions on the upgrade?

4 minutes ago, Doublemeter2m said:

wow this is a crazy response thx so much really appreciate it. any opinions on the upgrade?

20 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

•  EKWB is expensive. They are definitely good, and I've always been happy with my purchases. But they are expensive. So are corsair, phanteks, bitspower, etc. I always tell people to at least consider chinese brands if they're willing to wait. If you go on aliexpress, and look for well reviewed parts that meet the specs you want, you can save tons of money and sacrifice zero to little amounts of performance. I'll give more specific examples as we go
  •  Fans: get what you think looks good, and has decent enough performance. totally up to you
  •  Drain: yeah, just get a splitter fitting and a cap so you can easily drain. In a case with that much space, no good reason not to
  •  Flow meter: not needed. but if you want one, feel free
  •  CPU block: EK makes good blocks. But a cheap aliexpress block like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32710756337.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11f84c4dGC5Y0F will be at worst a couple degrees worse. And it saves you like, 50+ dollars. 
  •  Pump/res: you can get a cheap res on aliexpress for like 15 bucks. a glass one for like, 25. and they're totally good. if you want, i can send links for ones i've used. I will say that long-term aliexpress pumps have been hit and miss for me. Some have been fine. Some have refused to obey PWM signals and run at 100% all the time. One developed a small rattling sound (but still runs). So I will not criticize you for going with a D5 from a reputable brand. As for which one to get, whatever looks good, will mount easily, and ships fast to you I guess. If you want to do a pump/res combo, that will probably be more expensive than getting res on the cheap and the pump separately, but it does reduce the fittings you have to buy, and is easier to install, so it's a viable option for sure. what you selected will work fine
  •  GPU blocks: As before, EK, phanteks, bitspower, etc all make good blocks. However, Bykski, a popular brand in the asian market, can often have these at half to 2/3 of the price, and they are just as good. I've used them many times, with no issues. In fact, if you go to trade shows, you often see them in show builds that were done in Asia. 
  •  Fittings: EK makes good fittings, for sure. But, if you want to save some $$$, look for occasional sales EK has. I recently got 70% off a bag of fittings from them they were clearing out. If you cannot find such a deal, Barrow (The brand who makes that CPU block I linked) has done me very well over the years. Had fittings from them in service for many years, that have been moved between builds, and no issues. They are actually somewhat notorious for being a pretty good attempt at cloning bitspower fittings, which many people regard as the best

do you think I could go for an m atx case for first time customw atercooling kit and any sugested cases? have seen the m1

Just now, Doublemeter2m said:

Honestly, not really. I don't know what you use your computer for. It could be super overkill, not nearly enough, or just right. It depends. 

Personally, I'd say the motherboard is probably not the best choice. Unless you really need PCIe 4.0 or wifi 6.0, X570 boards generally aren't worth it. If you do, I'd check out the x570 elite from gigabyte or the x570 tuf gaming plus wifi from asus. They're probably the best "value" x570 boards.

At your price point, I'd save the cash on the board and go with a b450 or x470 option if you can. 

Oh yeah and I guess I should always mention this: watercooling is never good value, it's always "better value" to take the money and get better performing components (i.e. a 3900x and a 2080 ti instead of what you have, etc). Now it's totally fine to say "I don't care, watercooling is awesome and fun, imma do that anyways". I've done that before. I used to have a system with a 250GB SSD, 2 GTX 980s, and an i5. Totally stupid. But fun, and I liked it. That's all that matters.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Just now, Doublemeter2m said:

do you think I could go for an m atx case for first time customw atercooling kit and any sugested cases? have seen the m1

You can go with whatever case you want. My first watercooling build was mATX. I've also done ATX, ITX, etc. Personally, I find it more fun/challenging, and more space-efficient to go with the minimum size needed to fit your parts. 

Cases depends on what you want. There's so much variance. What aesthetics are you a fan of? Do you want side panel windows? How big do you need it to be? Are you willing to deal with the frustrations of custom loops inside tiny cases? Do you prefer small cases, or weird aesthetic design choices, or ease of installation/maintenance??

I can't really give you a "use this case". It's so personal.

22 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Honestly, not really. I don't know what you use your computer for. It could be super overkill, not nearly enough, or just right. It depends. 

Personally, I'd say the motherboard is probably not the best choice. Unless you really need PCIe 4.0 or wifi 6.0, X570 boards generally aren't worth it. If you do, I'd check out the x570 elite from gigabyte or the x570 tuf gaming plus wifi from asus. They're probably the best "value" x570 boards.

At your price point, I'd save the cash on the board and go with a b450 or x470 option if you can. 

Oh yeah and I guess I should always mention this: watercooling is never good value, it's always "better value" to take the money and get better performing components (i.e. a 3900x and a 2080 ti instead of what you have, etc). Now it's totally fine to say "I don't care, watercooling is awesome and fun, imma do that anyways". I've done that before. I used to have a system with a 250GB SSD, 2 GTX 980s, and an i5. Totally stupid. But fun, and I liked it. That's all that matters.

the thing is why i was going foor the x570 is because of the up to date compatibilty with the new cpu. I dont want to go through the hastle of updating the bios with the "older"boards"

6 minutes ago, Doublemeter2m said:

the thing is why i was going foor the x570 is because of the up to date compatibilty with the new cpu. I dont want to go through the hastle of updating the bios with the "older"boards"

Well, that's your call to make. But you can get a free upgrade kit from AMD if you need one, you can ask a store to do it for you, you can buy a CPU to update it and return that CPU (a store i frequent even advised I do that, they were totally cool with it), or you can get a motherboard that allows you to update it with just a USB and no CPU installed. Just so you know your options

30 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Well, that's your call to make. But you can get a free upgrade kit from AMD if you need one, you can ask a store to do it for you, you can buy a CPU to update it and return that CPU (a store i frequent even advised I do that, they were totally cool with it), or you can get a motherboard that allows you to update it with just a USB and no CPU installed. Just so you know your options

thx man for making me aware of this. I found this motherboard that would fit my colour scheme 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR-ARCTIC

4 minutes ago, Doublemeter2m said:

thx man for making me aware of this. I found this motherboard that would fit my colour scheme 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR-ARCTIC

I mean, I guess. Not really the best board in terms of features/VRM cooling, etc. 

If you're spending this much, probably worth it to go for something a bit nicer. I'd recommend go with a black board that's neutral and use lighting/other components to make it work, or go with some other boards that are white if you really want. They do exist. 

Although, if you're wanting to go mATX or mITX, I wouldn't get picky. Not too many options colour-wise. Just go with what's good, and work around it. Usually in small builds you can barely see the motherboard features anyways.