Cheap Qad 1150

I got this H97 Guard-PRO for $20. I'm trying to find a cheap quad core processor for it. Anyone know a good option for an 1150?

23 minutes ago, fewlsguild said:

I got this H97 Guard-PRO for $20. I'm trying to find a cheap quad core processor for it. Anyone know a good option for an 1150?

You can use a old i3 or i5.  You can find used for very good price.  Search ebay and also I don't know if you want a HT CPU ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

What color you want ?  The big red or the blue team ?

I don't really have a preference. I am going to use it to run Teamspeak and mumble and host a small website for my corporation in Eve.

1 minute ago, fewlsguild said:

I don't really have a preference. I am going to use it to run Teamspeak and mumble and host a small website for my corporation in Eve.

In that case you dont need a super duper CPU ,, I recommend this Sandy Bridge 2500 for amazing price

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

H97 is 4000 series intel, quad cores are i5 and up. a quick search shows the i5 4430 and i5 4440 where the cheapest quad cores that fit but the second hand market can be funny at times and the cheapest then may not be the cheapest now so its worth looking at all compatible cpus on ebay. that board also supports some xeons so i'd look at them too. here a list of compatible cpu's for your board.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H97-GUARD-PRO#support-cpu

10 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

In that case you dont need a super duper CPU ,, I recommend this Sandy Bridge 2500 for amazing price

Wrong socket/series

1 minute ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

H97 is 4000 series intel, quad cores are i5 and up. a quick search shows the i5 4430 and i5 4440 where the cheapest quad cores that fit but the second hand market can be funny at times and the cheapest then may not be the cheapest now so its worth looking at all compatible cpus on ebay. that board also supports some xeons so i'd look at them too. here a list of compatible cpu's for your board.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H97-GUARD-PRO#support-cpu

Wrong socket/series

I'm planning on upgrading the ram and running a few things on it as a server. I was going to do Teamspeak and mumble. Also, maybe host a few small websites.

3 minutes ago, fewlsguild said:

I'm planning on upgrading the ram and running a few things on it as a server. I was going to do Teamspeak and mumble. Also, maybe host a few small websites.

any i5 will be fine there's also some zeons that would work well. But i'm not doing the leg work for you, you've got the list of compatibly chips its up to you to find the best deal on ebay. just make sure its compatible with the earliest bios 7923v20 since you don't know what bios is on the board.

2 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

earliest bios 7923v20 since you don't know what bios is on the board.

I had no idea to think about this.

2 hours ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

the earliest bios 7923v20 since you don't know what bios is on the board.

What would happen if it didn't have the right version? Also, what would I do if that happened?

2 hours ago, fewlsguild said:

What would happen if it didn't have the right version?

It may not boot, it may boot but be unstable.

2 hours ago, fewlsguild said:

Also, what would I do if that happened?

The majority of the cpu's on the compatibility list will work with the earliest bios, so just don't buy an incompatible one. the bios version is listed with the cpu on this list.