Need help with router.

Evolv2JZ

I have to buy new router. Is it worth it to go for AC protocol? Because i need a long range as im using wifi in my garden as well. The router will be on the second floor.(around 15 meters and 3 walls inbetween)

15 minutes ago, Evolv2JZ said:

I have to buy new router. Is it worth it to go for AC protocol? Because i need a long range as im using wifi in my garden as well. The router will be on the second floor.(around 15 meters and 3 walls inbetween)

5GHz 802.11AC increases speed, not range, and it carries through walls and such even worse than 2.4GHz 802.11N.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5ghz will have smaller range as 5ghz is not penatrating obstacles that easily. You would benefit a lot, if you were closer to the router.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

5GHz 802.11AC increases speed, not range, and it carries through walls and such even worse than 2.4GHz 802.11N.

That's my point. If its worth it at all in my circumstances. So i'll benefit while gaming as the router is close to my PC , but i might have issues when in the garden. Guess i'll go for the N protocol.

Just now, Evolv2JZ said:

That's my point. If its worth it at all in my circumstances. So i'll benefit while gaming as the router is close to my PC , but i might have issues when in the garden. Guess i'll go for the N protocol.

If you buy an AC router you'll have 802.11N in there as well. AC is just the highest protocol it supports but they are going to have older protocols included too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Evolv2JZ said:

The routers that support 5GHz 802.11AC also support 2.4GHz 802.11N. You're perfectly safe with getting a router that supports 802.11AC, it won't make your situation any worse. It just won't improve the range, that's all.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

36 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you buy an AC router you'll have 802.11N in there as well. AC is just the highest protocol it supports but they are going to have older protocols included too.

I know that , but its not worth the investment in something you wont use. But you're right. I can buy AC and if im not satisfied with the results to simply switch the protocols. 

39 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The routers that support 5GHz 802.11AC also support 2.4GHz 802.11N. You're perfectly safe with getting a router that supports 802.11AC, it won't make your situation any worse. It just won't improve the range, that's all.

Yes , but in my reply above , there is a price difference that's not worth it if i wont use the AC anyway. But i'll go for TP-Link C6 and if im not satisfied with the AC range i'll just switch to N protocol.

Another question , i have USB wifi adapter as my previous lan card died.I want to buy C6 router and Archer T6E card (heard that lan card is more reliable than usb adapter and provides better results). Also does wifi exntenders make any difference as i saw the results could be even worse. For example , i can set up my router at the living room (5m closer to the garden) and i believe in this way i'll be just fine with the AC protocol all around the place. But not sure if the extender is neccessary as it could make the things even worse

10 hours ago, Evolv2JZ said:

Guess i'll go for the N protocol.

Go AC, your better off on a newer standard. AC supports faster speeds and to be honest my AC router does perform better with range and penetration then my Dual band N router did. Plus many AC routers support newer encryption standards, MIMO and all that goodness. The biggest trick to getting better range is making sure the router in the right spot. For example my router is right new to my computer on the second floor of my house. From there is covers the entire first floor and my yard. My house is only 1300 sq feet. The key is to have the router as high as you can get it and in the center part of your home. 

What I would do is look in the ASUS routers. They have their AI mesh thing and it seems to work well from what I have read. So if push comes to shove and you dont have the signal strength you need in the garden, you can just add another Asus router and start a mesh network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.